Auditioning some KEF R3 Metas tomorrow, any tips?

Like the title says. Any tips specific to the R3’s or general considerations?

I plan to use them as part of my lounge room setup, so mostly multi channel stuff with weekend/dinner time music playing. It will replace my Q900s and I hope will be a good match for my 650c centre. 

They will be hooked up to a Hegel 190 which I don’t see as a fair comparison to my Denon to Rotel power amp setup. They did say I can bring my amp in if I like, which is very nice of them but a big hassle on my end. A bit worried I’m gunna want to get Hegel too tho 😂

I suppose going in with a solid sonic checklist, and, if you're that way inclined, a kind of a scoring chart.

I saw someone's criteria set in a review recently (can't locate the url anymore), and the highs, mids, lows, and soundstage all were subdvided into subcriteria. Very useful to be able to turn one's attention to specific aspects.

(Would be great to co-design such a checklist here among SNA members for future reference).

Good luck with the auditioning.

• Like 1

• Administrator

KEF/Hegel is such a nice combination. It just works. So much so - that it was discovered almost by accident at a demo by one of the international KEF reps. He loved the combination so much he became the Hegel rep too and you now often see the two brands exhibiting together at global shows.

I think with your familiar playlist in hand, you already know have the right tools at your disposal. But while you're there, why not see if they have any other speakers at the same price point so you can A/B them?

• Like 1

Just looking at the pair of KEF Reference 1 loudspeakers that have been listed in the Classifieds....$3K more than the R3 Metas you are going to audition.....but on another level all together. Its your money!

For your reference, I own q150’s for the office, R3’s in the lounge and R11’s in the main rig.  The 3’s will satisfy in all but the largest of rooms and with Hegel powering them you’ll get the best out of that speaker.  They represent awesome value for money even at their RRP.  Sometimes I prefer listening through them instead of thr R11’s 🙃

• Love 1

The only thing I would also consider is reference the speakers you are thinking of purchasing against something else in the store for a comparison with same music and amp if that works.

so if you were interested in the R3 meta,  I would think to try something above and below , for example either the r5 meta (small floor standers) or Kef r1 reference, or a comparison to ls50 meta or equivalent q series Kef speaker.  

Speaker acquired! I did a side by side with the LS50 Meta, which did sounded good, but in comparison sound small/closed in a little and less lows. Hegel 190 was really magic combo for sure. The tracks I played differently sound better/clearer than the Q900s. 
Now to the fun of setting it all up an endless tweaking till I settle in with them. 

E494E018-89A4-489A-B270-B880672A2941.thumb.jpeg.a888edce3a91c02affdf7839a268e6b1.jpeg

Edited by PauliD
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, PauliD said:

Speaker acquired! I did a side by side with the LS50 Meta, which did sounded good, but in comparison sound small/closed in a little and less lows. Hegel 190 was really magic combo for sure. The tracks I played differently sound better/clearer than the Q900s. 
Now to the fun of setting it all up an endless tweaking till I settle in with them. 

Wow Congrats.  Great that you have an idea of where they sit in terms of sound quality.

Happy days experimenting

• Like 1

Yes lovely speakers with a great balance of detail retrieval and listenability when paired with the right amp.  I used a pair in my main system for a couple of years before the VAF bug bit :)  Nowadays they fill my home office with tunes most days of my life.

Enjoy, and yeah do experiment with placement, toe in etc.  WIth the wide dispersion and off-axis response even small movements can have a large impact on soundstage and image so they can be dialled into most rooms and tastes.

Have fun!