3-way monitor with 10 inch / 6 inch and Air-Motion Tweeter

Here's a fun project I'm working on, with cues taken from the Harbeth 40.2 ($27,000) and the 40.3 ($32,000) speaker.

60 litre compact speaker in 19mm Blackbutt on euro birch ply. 680mm tall x 320mm wide x 340mm deep. 

Drivers are:

Dayton Reference 10-inch, paper (87.5 dB, Fs of 22.9Hz)

Dayton Reference 6-inch, paper (88.7 dB, Fs of 41Hz) - will be housed in dedicated sealed box. 

Dayton Air Motion 2 tweeter (92.5dB)

Dual ported, with cabinet tuning 35Hz.

Baffle will be flush, with recessed ply exposed edges, plus decorative ply trim added in two "strips".

Xover is LR2, with points being 350Hz and 2,800Hz. I will need to pad down the tweeter.

220mm JBL-esq metal stands will be used.

A new multi-functional Audiolab amp/DAC/Bluetooth unit is being paired with the speakers. Simple and clean. 

Front pic.jpg

Xovers.jpg

Rendering.jpg

Metal stands angled.jpg

Edited by Andrew Tilsley
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Hifiplus said:

Curious how you determined the xover and did you use any software?

I’m using LR2, with 3dB gain in the mid. The xover is based on Erse modelling. I’ve built a few systems this way, and have been pleased with the results. I’ll need to add l-pad to the tweeter. The xover points are set so that drivers are operating within comfortable tolerances. 

Testing output levels, though can’t do this fully without the box. The mid is quite strong…I thought the tweeter would need damping, but not so. Mid and tweeter have outstay clarity and sparkle. Promising. 

75FCDD8B-74DD-4208-9CEB-E2BC54F89EBB.jpeg

1166A2FA-90E1-46F9-9AEB-ABCCF8161E0B.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

Tech Studies workshop?

I was going to ask similar.

Nice looking workspace.  Lucky to have access to something like that  :)

Ahhhh... I was also going to ask about the 10" Dayton Reference.   I had a assumed it was a Dayton subwoofer model, as I didn't know they made a 10" "reference" model (the ones with the black 'phase plugs').

On 19/05/2023 at 4:07 PM, Andrew Tilsley said:

Yes, that's similar. The driver options are different...and my mate likes the look of the ply inserts.

I'm always curious about the drivers (like the) Faital ones..... I suspect the Daytons are a better choice for home SPLs.  👍

16 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I'm always curious about the drivers (like the) Faital ones..... I suspect the Daytons are a better choice for home SPLs.  👍

Agreed. I use Dayton Ref 8-inch for my large stereo/centre channel, with SB Audience horn and CD. The bass output is very good. 

these drivers use Dayton’s special paper cones vs the standard. 

yes, I work in a school with a large wood tech room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/6/2023 at 7:43 PM, Aido78 said:

Looks great already….what was your thinking on the diameter size of the dual bass ports? 

Thanks. I used online calculator based on cabinet volume, with a F3 target of 35Hz. 

Very cool, how is the weight distribution on the stands, with the speakers on is there any risk of them toppling forward if bumped?  Looks like the drivers will sit over the front lip of the floor section of the stand?  Be a terrible shame for them to fall and be damaged, awesome job!

3 hours ago, Janus77 said:

Very cool, how is the weight distribution on the stands, with the speakers on is there any risk of them toppling forward if bumped?  Looks like the drivers will sit over the front lip of the floor section of the stand?  Be a terrible shame for them to fall and be damaged, awesome job!

Thanks. The cabinet is quite heavy, eg 30Kg....so the weight is balanced. I've checked it a few times, by pushing it forwards and back....seems solid. I can add two screws underneath if required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Tilsley said:

Thanks. The cabinet is quite heavy, eg 30Kg....so the weight is balanced. I've checked it a few times, by pushing it forwards and back....seems solid. I can add two screws underneath if required.

Great work again Andrew!!

I have DeVore O96 speakers on stands somewhat similar set up. They give you 4 little what appear to be Blue Tack balls to place in each corner of stands which works a treat to further prevent any chance of knocking them over.

YMMV 👍

20 hours ago, Mendes said:

Great work again Andrew!!

I have DeVore O96 speakers on stands somewhat similar set up. They give you 4 little what appear to be Blue Tack balls to place in each corner of stands which works a treat to further prevent any chance of knocking them over.

YMMV 👍

Thanks. We haven't yet thought of how to mount. Probably a black rubber strip will suffice. If you've got blue balls, I suggest you soften your horse saddle...

• Haha 2