Ps Audio Dac Questions

I'm in the market for a DAC (possibly) as I'm looking to switch back to tubes for amplification.

Looking at either the Directstream JR or SNR as options with the Bridge 2, but I also need it to be simple for good sound.

Currently we have the Devialet 220 which you can just stream any app straight from the phone and it sounds great.

Can you do this with the PS audio from tidal/Apple Music/spotify without the need of extra software/hardware etc?

Or, what other dacs or options would you use to achieve this?

That though had occurred, and I intend to play around with that option. 

Ultimately my plan was to flog it off, and get a Luxman L590AX2 again, and a DAC to run both these amps and 2 pairs of speakers simultaneously.

I'd need to sell it to cover this concept though. It also seems crazy to keep it just as a fixed volume DAC, with all other features basically being redundant..

From what I can see the Devialet doesn't allow just turning speaker output on and off from the remote either? This would be a bit annoying having to swap between cards/configs.

It would be awesome to be able to try a couple of nice Dacs before making any final decisions though as it'd be a shame to offload the Devialet only to have to pay more to buy another if I change my mind.. It's awesome, but I miss my Class A tubes.. 

From what I can see the Directstream can run tidal/spotify etc, but only through the Mconnect app? 

Can anyone with experience on this tell me how easy (and wife friendly) this is, and how well it works compared to just running an app via airplay?

• Like 1

Howdy Gemrock,

I had a PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC with Bridge II in my system for just over 3 years. The PS Audio DAC was set up so it could receive streamed music (both Tidal and Qobuz controlled by Roon):

• directly by ethernet into the Bridge II; or
  • indirectly by ethernet into my Nucleus+ then outputting from the Nucleus+ by USB A to USB B into the PS Audio DAC.

The PS Audio DAC outputted analogue by XLR and RCA into a Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp which in turn outputted via speaker cables to 2 Musical Fidelity M6si 550K Superchargers which bi-wired to (originally) Paradigm Studio 100 speakers and then (later) to Paradigm Persona 7F speakers. The hard wired ethernet connections always sounded superior to any wi-fi connection and to a Sonos Connect streaming Spotify by RCA into the MF M6si.  

Without doubt the best sound (and ease of use being controlled by Roon) was the Bridge II by XLR into the MF M6si.

That all changed when I replaced the PS Audio DAC, the MF M6si and the 2 Superchargers with the Devialet Expert Pro 1000s bi-amping (not bi-wiring) the Persona 7Fs. Initially the Devialet was way superior though its ethernet input (besting the PS Audio DAC and the Nucleus+). @Snoopy8 has already linked to my experiences after that, so now my best sound (and the best sound I have ever achieved in any of my systems) comes from ethernet into the Nucleus+ then by USB A to USB B into the Gieseler Reinigen Reclocker then by USB A to USB B into the Devialet. All controlled by Roon.

So while I still own the PS Audio DAC and think it is a great product I do not have it in my current system (it is on loan to another SNA member who is really enjoying it) as my current setup is superior. 

I have acknowledged that one of my challenges and minor regrets with my new system is that:

• I cannot get my vinyl to sound superior to streaming (which I could do from time to time with some recordings with the PS Audio DAC); and
  • there is less to play with and mess around in terms of components. 

Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.

• Like 1

It looks like your heart is set on the Luxman L590AX2? If so, then suggest getting a streamer/DAC like a Lumin T3/P1 or an Auralic Altair G1.1/G2 1. Both have a much better streaming functionality, with a user friendly and rich App.

If you go with the DirectStream with Bridge II, you have to run MConnect or similar iOS UPnP App to do streaming. The App is  cumbersome to use and feels and looks dated.  I believe the Lumin and Auralic has better SQ than PS Audio. Personally, the PSA sound is not for me, and I have a feeling it may not be for you either after the Devialet?  

However, if you keep the 220, then do explore the Gieseler Reinigen path with your PC or get a dedicated streamer.  It is likely that it will sound as good, if not better than the Lumin and Auralic.

• Like 1