Best bang-for-buck 4 ohm power amp

4 hours ago, RaymondWong said:

Many thanks for the thoughtful reply. 

$2k is what I think I now need to even get into something that could push these speakers and not damage anything. 

For clarity, are you seeking an integrated amplifier with preamplifier built in, or power amplifier only?  If the later, what will you be utilising as a pre-amplifier?

I am generally a proponent of Class D amplification (particularly purifi module based) but your $2k budget may be a problem depending on the answers to the above question.

4 minutes ago, frankn said:

This is what I suggested earlier, if the OP has a CD/digital streamer/player with volume control, something like a Chord Mojo or some of the newer DACs then it would be a great system. 

2B38F35C-6218-499F-A8FD-E3FA1CBADE4F.png

Sharp pricing - never heard one but based on franks recommendation and experience this could be the go 

14 hours ago, andyr said:

Lovely spkrs - but correct.  They need an amplifier which is happy to drive a 4 ohm load (not all amps are - particularly inexpensive ones).  :(

The Sonus Faber Sonetto range are reasonably amplifier friendly and efficient and reasonable mid-fi amplifier will likely be stable with them, albeit unlikely to maximise their potential.  As an example I know of a few owners using the sub $2k Rotel A14MkII with Sonettos and happy with outcome.

• Like 2

As you say, @POV ... unlikely to maximise their potential!  :classic_laugh:

And whilst being "happy with the outcome" is a welcome state to be in ... I find it sad that so few people ever get the opportunity to hear what their spkrs are actually capable of.  :(

Case in point: a friend of mine has MBL 101s.  He bought them from someone who'd only had them for a few months and got rid of them bcoz they just weren't making him happy.

The reason why they weren't making him happy was simple - he was driving them with a 100w amp!  Admittedly, it was a very expensive and well regarded "hifi" amp - but still only 100w.  :o

Whereas my friend drives these MBLs with (each channel):

• a 2kw class D monobloc on the bass
  • and a 250w ARC tube monobloc on the mids & tweeters.

This setup is absolutely amazing - I think it'll be a while (if ever) before he decides he needs to change spkrs!

A 2nd example concerns a friend who has B&W stand-mounts.  He started off with a 40w Weston tube amp - which I suspect is typical of the sort of amp which small B&Ws are often paired with.

It sounded very nice - but he thought that maybe it would be nicer if the bass was more incisive.  So he bought an Australian made, 150w ss amp (name I forget - but I think it begins with 'K').

That really improved the bass - but then Trevor (Zingmore) brought along his 500w Sanders Magtech to try with the B&Ws.  The improvement was a revelation; Russ bought a Magtech soon afterwards!  :classic_laugh:

• Love 1

With some regular and patient watching the SNA classifieds the OP might also find something for $2K that used to retail much higher.

The amount of great pre-loved stereo gear I've seen here in the last month alone... :shakes head in disbelief:

• Like 3

(Sorry been at work all this time and cannot attend to the thread replies)

I am most humbled by the insights you have given, and the more I have read, the more realise that my question isnt about finding some good-quality budget 'integrated' amp and then all happy.

Now that I have done more reading, all I was thinking was an "Integrated" amp that would be able to push enough power without clipping the signal and then damaging the speakers. ( I been reading about clipping). 

I have a CD player and a Bluetooth transporter that can also allow Chromecast streaming. (Yes....please dont kill me for disclosing this). 

So I was thinking of getting something that is an integrated amp for like under AUD $2000 and then just go with it. 

But I guess there is a lot more to the science than I thought!! 

Thanks again. 

12 hours ago, RaymondWong said:

(Sorry been at work all this time and cannot attend to the thread replies)

I am most humbled by the insights you have given, and the more I have read, the more realise that my question isnt about finding some good-quality budget 'integrated' amp and then all happy.

Now that I have done more reading, all I was thinking was an "Integrated" amp that would be able to push enough power without clipping the signal and then damaging the speakers. ( I been reading about clipping). 

I have a CD player and a Bluetooth transporter that can also allow Chromecast streaming. (Yes....please dont kill me for disclosing this). 

So I was thinking of getting something that is an integrated amp for like under AUD $2000 and then just go with it. 

But I guess there is a lot more to the science than I thought!! 

Thanks again. 

Grab this as a stop gap - will run 4ohm - and you can resell for $350 any day of the week https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/572333-nad-c320bee-integrated-amplifier/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rocky500 said:

This one that just popped up looks very good for the price

@RaymondWong this is an outstanding buy, for a really excellent sounding and underrated amplifier.  These Denon units are high current amplifiers with excellent 4 ohm stability in my experience.  I seriously would not hesitate and suggest you will really struggle to better this inside your budget.  You may find that this amplifier satisfies you and you don’t require upgrade, but even if you do you could on sell this later for similar money to what you are paying there.

• Like 2
  • Love 1