Rotel T14 - Streamer module crashing - Ideas?

Hi fellow audio-folks! 

So I bought this (used) Rotel T14 and it has a problem: the Wi-Fi streamer module stops working after a while.

It works for a few minutes, then resets (only the Wi-Fi/Streamer) and DTS Play-Fi App also loses the device. Also the Wi-Fi Settings are in the T14 are gone when it is coming up again (which it will do only after a phase of being turned off).  
Observation: when the T14 is running longer than a couple of minutes, it happens faster (few seconds, not even enough time to couple it to Wi-Fi or the Play-Fi app again). When I let the unit cool down (literally - only when I give it 1/2 hour) it then works again for a few minutes, then dies again.

FM and DAB+ tuner work just fine, they play happily for hours.  

Also noticed: when the streaming module is active, the power LED of the device shows occasional flickers, as if current/voltage surges occur. This does not happen when it runs on FM or DAB. 

I suspect the previous owner either knew it or did not notice it. He had it hooked up to a LAN cable instead Wi-Fi and even sent the 3rd party USB2RJ45 dongle supplied.  Also the screws on the back look like it’s been opened before. 
I guess they will not easily accept return claims, hence I might be stuck with trying to fix it. 

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting? 
Thanks in advance for any suggestions! 

Edited by Sirphir

Damn that sucks.   First thing i would try is a lan cable as that would help isolate whether the issue is just with the wifi module (which maybe on a separate board) or something wrong with the part that does streaming itself, or power related.

• Like 1

I suspect it is crappy DTS Play-Fi, probably the worst App ever when I used it on an Anthem AVR (and Anthem abandoned it in next model).  Suggest using a LAN cable and don't bother with Wifi.

I agree with @Demondes, it looks like a hardware problem if it is heat related. ie it works for a bit till it warms up, then again once it has been left off for a while. testing with the LAN cable should help to prove if it's the wifi module or not. It doesn't sound like a software/application problem.

I don't know the device personally, but found a couple of pics on the www, and the wifi module appears to be a separate module (blue board, bottom left).

rotel_t14_inside.thumb.jpg.f0ac1b6aae68cac23baa6e9e0c95ca79.jpg

Basically, the module isn't easily repaired, and may require replacement. Unless you are willing to take the risk, and you can get the board, it looks like a job for a competent tech who has worked on them b4 and has access to spares.

Thank you for the replies!

@Demondes, @bob_m_54: Looking at the inside picture, I begin to wonder why my unit even m gets so warm to the touch when running for a while. I mean the power transformer doesn’t look so potent. 

@Snoopy8, @Demondes, @cafe67: So according to Play-Fi documentation their SW in the device can be updated by placing it on a pendrive and then upon power-up the device would update and signal update by a number of beeps. I have tried that now, but the device does not react in that way. Either I’ve been doing it wrong or maybe  it recognizes that it has already the latest version. I might retry with a fresh, smaller-size FAT-formated pendrive just to be sure, but I’ll have to buy one first. 

I will try using LAN cable next. I’ll have to get a long enough one first to connect to my router. 

Will report back. 

Thank you very much for the suggestions! 

• Like 2

So, I have meanwhile tried with an Ethernet cable via the USB-2-RJ45 adapter that the previous owner supplied with the T14. It seems that the T14 still tries to connect via Ethernet, ignorant of the cable connection being present.

I was - by other sources, which I am now trying to locate again - led to believe that the T14 would switch off Wi-Fi as soon as it detects an Ethernet connection via the USB.

If anyone knows of a specific setting (in the T14 or in my router) that I need to set, to make the T14 recognize the cable connection, I would be grateful to hear your input!

I had a quick scan of the manual, there is only one reference to USB and it doesn't say anything about being able to use it for an Ethernet connection, when you mentioned. I assumed originally the device had an RJ45 port on the back, which it doesnt.  My guess USB will only work for firmware upgrades from a USB stick and maybe diagnostics.

I would check with Rotel to see if ethernet is even possible via USB.

13 minutes ago, Demondes said:

I had a quick scan of the manual, there is only one reference to USB and it doesn't say anything about being able to use it for an Ethernet connection, when you mentioned. I assumed originally the device had an RJ45 port on the back, which it doesnt.  My guess USB will only work for firmware upgrades from a USB stick and maybe diagnostics.

I would check with Rotel to see if ethernet is even possible via USB.

There is this in the manual

USB Connection [22]
This connection is used for service and can also be used to attach a USB-
ETHERNET (optional) adapter for hardwired connection to the network. For
more information please contact your authorized Rotel dealer.

Edit: Link to the manual

https://s3p.manualzz.com/store/data/025545257.pdf?key=16d43b56f14f97ba2a7e489686d99ed3&r=1&fn=25545257.pdf&t=1675676490495&p=86400

Edited by bob_m_54
info

The Ethernet via USB seems to work. I have re-tried with a bit more patience and:

Good: The indicator LED of the USB2RJ45 adapter flashes with traffic indication as well as the Rotel T14 appearing in the Play-Fi app as potential partner device (without setting any Wi-Fi prior), i.e. it seems to be connected via the Ethernet cable.

Confusing: Even though connected by LAN cable, the blue Wi-Fi indicator LED (or is it meant to be a Play-Fi indicator) on the back of the T14 still does its blinking routine as if waiting for Wi-Fi being set up. It shuts down after a while and either stops blinking (solid on) or turns off altogether - yet no reproducible behavior. 
As @bob_m_54 mentioned, the Ethernet connection is only briefly described, so Rotel gives no information whether the indicator LED will give relevant information about the streaming connection status via Ethernet.

Bad: The streaming is possible yet the stream still breaks down after a while and the unit seems to shut down the streamer unit. I interpret that from the display switching from showing "streaming" to "select input" (which is the start-up behaviour prompting the user to select between: (1) Play-Fi, (2) FM, (3) DAB.
This is the same behaviour it showed under Wi-Fi connection when the streamer "crashed".

Intermediate Conclusion: So it seems that either the streamer still crashes when connected to Ethernet - or it crashes by still running the Wi-Fi.

I have yet not found a way to manually turn Wi-Fi off.

------------------------

And - on a side-note - in the Play-Fi app today all entries under the section "Internet Radio" have disappeared. (This was the main reason for me to get a streamer.) I think it is a bug in the App or in the online database, not a problem with the T14. Re-installing the app did nothing so far. I expect/hope, the radio-stations might re-appear anytime soon.

To continue testing my defective T14, I created a Deezer account and am trying with the Deezer free 'radio-like' streams. This works so far (with above-mentioned results).

Edited by Sirphir

• 8 months later...

In case later readers find this thread: 

I ended up handing the unit to an official Rotel service dealer (here in Germany these are the Bowers & Wilkins dealers). 

Turns out the unit was still under warranty and the previous owner (who I contacted) told me he had the same issue fixed once before under warranty. 

So - long story short - it was sent to a Rotel service center, repaired and sent back to me. The streamer was replaced and is working now. 

Just wondering for how long, because the flickering power LED is still there. I was afraid that might indicate a faulty power unit as  it might explain the twice failing of the streamer. According to the service tech (who I phoned) it is a frequent issue with the blue LED and does not indicate a faulty power unit.

Fingers crossed. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/02/2023 at 1:17 AM, Sirphir said:

So I bought this (used) Rotel T14 and it has a problem: the Wi-Fi streamer module stops working after a while.

Seems to be a common problem with these Rotels, seen a few of these for sale cheap as just a FM and DAB+ tuner, where the seller says the internet section has a fault.

Cheers George