Shipping a replacement tranny from California.

Hey guys

took me 8 months but I’ve finally found a replacement transformer for my flood damaged Marantz 240.  Incase your wondering worms in the flood water burrowed into the tranny eating the old plate dividers. ( also got into my keg leaving 5 blood clots haha)

fair price too but catch is I have to arrange shipping.  It’s not unusual I know they don’t want to be involved in case there’s a problem.

can anyone recommend a couple of shipping co ( besides Fed-ex) to collect and deliver it?  Just one big transformer pix included.( not the amp).

thanks in advance

🌞

AD67C6B1-593F-4D11-B13D-AD7BBA7BD228.jpeg

6DFBD65F-134A-4A87-AE16-8C3B4D2C8917.jpeg

Edited by EddieT

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Or try DHL or UPS?  And avoid USPS (US Postal Services) who are expensive and slow.

However, a problem with UPS - that I've just experienced with an eBay purchase - is that unlike in the US, UPS doesn't have "local drop points" (which you can redirect your delivery to when you're not home for their initial delivery).  FedEx does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jakeyb77_Redux said:

yep I’ve had Tortech do this for me 

IME it generally works out less expensive to have one made here.  Shipping cost between the US and Australia was never cheap, but has just become ridiculously expensive now and especially for heavy or bulky items.  Now if an 8-track cartridge weighing 220g packaged cost AU$48.40 to ship from the USA to Australia I would hate to think what a hefty power transformer weighing quite a few kg would cost. :(

8-track from USA.png

• Like 4

11 hours ago, andyr said:

However, a problem with UPS - that I've just experienced with an eBay purchase - is that unlike in the US, UPS doesn't have "local drop points" (which you can redirect your delivery to when you're not home for their initial delivery).  FedEx does.

If that is your criteria, then agree UPS should be excluded.  However, DHL does have local drop points and could be an option for OP.

• Like 1

Only had a couple of recent experiences with shipping from the US. A couple of 4K discs in Feb last year - $9.99 shipping (ImportCDs are great!) but I don't know the shipping company. And three books (hardcover Nancy Drew originals) via USPS ($77 shipping, but they arrived in 2 weeks). Neither was as heavy as the transformer, of course.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

IME it generally works out less expensive to have one made here.  Shipping cost between the US and Australia was never cheap, but has just become ridiculously expensive now and especially for heavy or bulky items.  Now if an 8-track cartridge weighing 220g packaged cost AU$48.40 to ship from the USA to Australia I would hate to think what a hefty power transformer weighing quite a few kg would cost. :(

8-track from USA.png

I had a valve tester shipped from NYC years ago.

Weighed over 25kgs so I got it sent sea freight..............................took about 5 months! (after it was quoted as 'up to' three months)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

Only had a couple of recent experiences with shipping from the US. A couple of 4K discs in Feb last year - $9.99 shipping (ImportCDs are great!) but I don't know the shipping company. And three books (hardcover Nancy Drew originals) via USPS ($77 shipping, but they arrived in 2 weeks). Neither was as heavy as the transformer, of course.

Many of the bigger suppliers have bulk shipping arrangements because of their huge volumes of freight and therefore often negotiate deals that the individual can't.

If I buy more than $50 worth of parts from Element14 they ship for free, no matter how many shipments they actually make for any one order.  Sometimes due to supply logistics a single order might be split up into multiple shipments depending on the availability of the items at the time of placing the order. 

21 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

Many of the bigger suppliers have bulk shipping arrangements because of their huge volumes of freight and therefore often negotiate deals that the individual can't.

If I buy more than $50 worth of parts from Element14 they ship for free, no matter how many shipments they actually make for any one order.  Sometimes due to supply logistics a single order might be split up into multiple shipments depending on the availability of the items at the time of placing the order. 

$70 at RS.

https://au.rs-online.com/web/content/support/all-articles/delivery

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 11:59 PM, Monkeyboi said:

If it was me I'd just take the old damaged transformer to a local company that makes custom transformers and get a like for like replacement made to order.

That was the original plan however it is very expensive and will change the sonic signature.  This is the only transistor amp I’ve ever wanted.  Too me it’s absolutely worth saving.  I really loved the music it made and want to keep it.  I do have plans to make a small change witch will improve it dramatically some time. 

Thanks for the suggestion tho.  Appreciate your reply very much.

15 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I had a valve tester shipped from NYC years ago.

Weighed over 25kgs so I got it sent sea freight..............................took about 5 months! (after it was quoted as 'up to' three months)

*Throw it away hahaha no my kids can do that after it’s prized from my cold dead hands lol.

yeah this came by sea about 5yrs ago from California too.  Really well packed. The sender had an in with a shipping company that packed the thing too.  Ive lost all my paperwork  in the floods here last Feb tho so have no idea who it was BUT you’ve promoted an idea mate!  I bought it on eBay so the details might still be there.  Fantastic.  Thanks.

*  Too everyone.  Thanks for your great responses guys.  You guys make Stereo net a real community!  So looks like it will be Fedex.  I’ll see if the owner will help me out that end.  The problem with Fed Ex and UPS from memory is it has to be packed and taken to them and it’s a real pain.  They aren’t very helpful or efficient at that end.  I have a buddy in LA who sent me a couple things via Fed ex and once he got into a fight in the office as they were so rude to him and annoyingly  inefficient.  He won’t go there again haha.  This has become a real problem in America.  I used a very efficient company in UK once.  Real door to door shipping and good value. But they were only UK pickup.

This wonderful strange obsession, HiFi🤗

• Like 2

On 19/01/2023 at 12:03 AM, Jakeyb77_Redux said:

yep I’ve had Tortech do this for me 

Ok I will ask them.  We were using an independent guy who was a transformer winder now retired.   My concern is the sonic signature.  It will be good to talk to them first tho before getting into this shipping hassle.

* What was your experience after replacing your transformers?  Did you notice any change sonically? The difference of course are case by case but I’d be very interested about your experience.

Edited by EddieT

7 minutes ago, EddieT said:

That was the original plan however it is very expensive and will change the sonic signature.  This is the only transistor amp I’ve ever wanted.  Too me it’s absolutely worth saving.  I really loved the music it made and want to keep it.  I do have plans to make a small change witch will improve it dramatically some time. 

Thanks for the suggestion tho.  Appreciate your reply very much.

So your amplifier was flood damaged to the point worms had penetrated the transformer and damaged it.  :(

I'm assuming you've either had the rest of the amplifier professionally repaired or you did it yourself?  How many parts had to be replaced?

Considering flood damage from worm infested muddy waters I'm assuming the repair was quite extensive especially if it has been under water for any length of time.

I'm also assuming that everything apart from the transformer has been extensively tested to assess if it has been successfully repaired and will remain reliable for the foreseeable future.  

12 minutes ago, EddieT said:

*  Too everyone.  Thanks for your great responses guys.  You guys make Stereo net a real community!  So looks like it will be Fedex.  I’ll see if the owner will help me out that end.  The problem with Fed Ex and UPS from memory is it has to be packed and taken to them and it’s a real pain.  They aren’t very helpful or efficient at that end.  I have a buddy in LA who sent me a couple things via Fed ex and once he got into a fight in the office as they were so rude to him and annoyingly  inefficient.  He won’t go there again haha.  This has become a real problem in America.  I used a very efficient company in UK once.  Real door to door shipping and good value. But they were only UK pickup.

This wonderful strange obsession, HiFi🤗

Looks like service at FedEx has taken a dive.  What happened to the good service where Tom Hanks actually delivered your package personally albeit somewhat late. 🤣

main-qimg-e47f9dcaee6d9c9f267e8cb8c9792651-pjlq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of years ago I send a package to Russia by DHL to my favourite vocalist. There was NO postal service! The address had to be in english to be accepted here but needed to be in cyrillic to be read in Russia and only one address per package.:|

The local DHL in Moscow sent me a message that the address on the package didn't work, but they searched, found the singer and the correct address and forwarded it to her.

I have no idea what sort of service you'll get out of the USA presently. Sorry.

(p.s. For those interested, yes she got the package and sent me a photo of her with it and a brief video of her thanking me. :wub:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

So your amplifier was flood damaged to the point worms had penetrated the transformer and damaged it.  :(

I'm assuming you've either had the rest of the amplifier professionally repaired or you did it yourself?  How many parts had to be replaced?

Considering flood damage from worm infested muddy waters I'm assuming the repair was quite extensive especially if it has been under water for any length of time.

I'm also assuming that everything apart from the transformer has been extensively tested to assess if it has been successfully repaired and will remain reliable for the foreseeable future.  

Everything else was fine.  It was checked by Paul at Falls Audio in Qland.  He converted it to 240v for me and changed out a couple of the caps when I bought it.  I had flushed it with clean water and sotared the heck out of it either contact cleaner after retrieving then left it to dry out for about 5 months before turning on.  The little star light in the front panel was even ok.  He had it on for about 2 hrs while we cranked out some music in his awesome system and smoke started coming out of the transformer so he switched off then pulled it out and found all these maggots cooking haha I had one of he’s valve preamps too with a vintage transformer and same thing with it.  Whatever these things are they love old transformer plate dividers.  I’m watching a flat screen tv with a Denon home theatre amp that all were submerged in that muck.  Luckily a fireman told me about the rinse electronic cleaner spray trick and those things, my fridge and other electronics are all ok near a year later.  So many ppl threw these things out and they might have been saved.  Thousands perhaps 100’s of thousands of gear trashed.  A real shame.  The only damage to my tv is someone who moved it must have pressed the screen so it’s got some bleed on on side.  Go figure!

i know it’s not the greatest amp ever built but I had one in the ‘70s.  I always liked the sound the look she just has that personal attachment to some good times so I wanna save her.  They were well made like tanks and she will see me out without wanting the house and child support like the other love of my life😵