Primaluna Vs Weston?

Hi All,

Interested to hear from those who have experience with both...

I currently run a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP (integrated). Have had it for a few years now, since new.

It's a quality amp which I enjoy. Yet I'm intrigued by Earle's creations.

I guess from what I can tell, the closest comparison would be the Tempest KT120 (I currently run KT120s in the Primaluna). The Tempest outputs 60watts per per ch

What are peoples thoughts of potentially moving from the PL to a Weston? Anyone made that switch themselves (even the other direction)?

Would it be a side-grade, down-grade, upgrade?

I guess I mostly listen to rock, but not exclusively, and I like to crank the volume every now and then.

Cheers

Being able to change/roll a tube rectifier in any tube amp is a huge plus in my book. I've heard the PL range and own some of the WA range (Tempest and Tweaker MkIV). I love the sound of the WA amps.

Also, there is something else that needs to be considered. The WA units use dedicated 240v AC mains PT's. I'm not going to disclose what PL units use for their PT AC mains voltage, but in AU the WA amps are much better suited for providing the correct heater voltages on the secondaries.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

My Tempest runs on and on, maybe 3 hours every day and never skips a beat (pun not intended, but not avoided).

If you're curious about support, Earle is very helpful with any questions, and every time I  thought something might be amiss it was me and not the amp.

I used to drive Focal aria 926 with it to deafening volume and never lost control.  Now my speakers are more efficient it feels like I  have very realistic dynamics and headroom to spare. Especially well suited to rock but also just about anything well recorded sounds good. Actually when I read a review these days just about every positive adjective they use I could say about mine...which cost me not much at all.

And I  also think the Tempest is the most visually appealing amp I've ever seen, but I'm vintage myself now.

• Like 2

I auditioned a Primaluna EVO 300 integrated and a Cayin CS-88a (both admittedly with stock tubes straight out of the box) and decided to opt for a Weston Topaz KT120 (with some mods - currently due early February next year) without audition, because of the reputation Earle's valve amps have on SNA and the feedback I got from users, because I'm in Melbourne and can chase Earle down easily if there are any hiccups along the way, because they look way cool, and because I wanted to support a respected local builder 🙂. Can't wait.

Topaz is pure Class A @ 45W. Tempest is Class A/B @ 60W. 

Earle was definite, in my case, that the Topaz would easily drive my Lenehan ML2+Rs and sound better than the Tempest.

Just a thought.

Definitely worth having a chat with him. Probably easier to text or email first and provide a brief outline of your system and what you are looking for.

Kind Regards,

Peter

• Like 3

I have a topaz kt 120. I’ve used it with proac 1 sc and d18 and it’s a fantastic match with both.

I don’t get the dynamics I get with my big SS Magtech/Prima Luna pre/ B&W set up but I do get that archetypal liquidity and tonality that valve lovers talk about.

A fraction of the cost of my main system I find it no less enjoyable. If you want valves and have reasonably efficient speakers the Weston is a prime choice. And it’s handmade locally. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

1 hour ago, PeterB7858 said:

My Topaz KT120 is being built at the moment 🙂.

According to the website specs it is rated at 45W RMS pure Class A.

Can't wait to hook it up to my Lenehan ML2+Rs for a listen.

Good choice Peter.  There's also something to be said about buying local and having that local help and support should something ever happens (unlikely as Earle builds his gear to very high standards).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SoundAir said:

Interesting topic, curious to know how the Weston Amps would pair up with LegendKama speakers.

Are the Legends 4 ohm? If so you would need probably need to specify 4 ohm taps if you are thinking of ordering.