Jump to content

Ethernet switches - PartA: Switches List, info & Experience


Recommended Posts



  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

I have an EtherRegen on order, due for shipping in late Feb.  Let me know if you have any Sundays free in March @Assisi and we can compare the PP and Uptone switches.  

You had mentioned that you had the EtherRegen on order and the expected delivery.  Besides comparing I would be interested in running them together especially using optical from the EtherRegen to a converter and then Ethernet to the PP.  Complicated maybe but who knows what the result maybe.  My intuition tells me a a synergistic step up. 

 

At the moment I do have converter optical to converter to the Weiss 502 DSP in the web of cables that I have.  I will try it to the Weiss network player.

 

Maybe March should be a GTG?  Others may be interested in coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My experience with Ethernet switch, I have a humble Netgear GS108(the latest version), I replaced the standard power supply with IFI IPOWER LOW NOISE POWER SUPPLY. A very noticeable improvement and for $79 well worth the investment. Perhaps something to try with your existing setups 

Neo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Tried it, did not hear a difference.

@Ittaku,

The important question is what did you try.  A Switch and or cables and if so which?  The switch  for me was the biggest change in my system.  I have had few changes over time.

 

You have a very serious system especially in terms of the quality of the components.  Therefore  to me it seems reasonable to expect that you should be able to discern even small differences in the system with changes.  If you do not why not?  If it was me I would be curious to at least consider the conundrum rather just be dismissive.

 

John

 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



31 minutes ago, Assisi said:

You had mentioned that you had the EtherRegen on order and the expected delivery.  Besides comparing I would be interested in running them together especially using optical from the EtherRegen to a converter and then Ethernet to the PP.  Complicated maybe but who knows what the result maybe.  My intuition tells me a a synergistic step up. 

 

At the moment I do have converter optical to converter to the Weiss 502 DSP in the web of cables that I have.  I will try it to the Weiss network player.

 

Maybe March should be a GTG?  Others may be interested in coming.

may i attend? pleeeese?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

My experience with Ethernet switch, I have a humble Netgear GS108(the latest version), I replaced the standard power supply with IFI IPOWER LOW NOISE POWER SUPPLY. A very noticeable improvement and for $79 well worth the investment. Perhaps something to try with your existing setups 

Neo

My switch previous to the Paul Pang was the Netgear GS108. Maybe not the latest.  I had a different power supply to your one above.   The difference between switches is a universe apart.  Unfortunately there is an expense attached to the upgrade.  To me worth very cent.  

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Assisi said:

You had mentioned that you had the EtherRegen on order and the expected delivery.  Besides comparing I would be interested in running them together especially using optical from the EtherRegen to a converter and then Ethernet to the PP.  Complicated maybe but who knows what the result maybe.  My intuition tells me a a synergistic step up. 

I do not use SFP (optical) so do not know it.  However, I read that it is more than plugging in and there are potential compatibility issues.  If you want to test optical, suggest reading up and testing before hand.

36 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Maybe March should be a GTG?  Others may be interested in coming.

I have a well burnt-in EtherREGEN with a Gieseler PSU.  If the itch bites and you cannot wait,  I can offer my unit for a compare.

9 minutes ago, Assisi said:

@Ittaku,

The important question is what did you try.  A Switch and or cables and if so which?  The switch  for me was the biggest change in my system.  I have had few changes over time.

 

You have a very serious system especially in terms of the quality of the components.  Therefore  to me it seems reasonable to expect that you should be able to discern even small differences in the system with changes.  If you do not why not?  If it was me I would be curious to at least consider the conundrum rather just be dismissive.

We spent a few hours at my place to listen to my Devialet Phantom setup with and without EtherREGEN.  Con could not hear a difference.  And Con does not use Ethernet on his system...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



3 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

No. No. No... It is completely unacceptable to have to endure two separate questionable audiophile phenomena from the one device! ?

Ok then I won’t mention using the right ethernet cables, oops I did, just enjoy the journey.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Likely because there is no difference.

That is not the answer to your conundrum.  It is just denial of possibilities.  If that is what floats you boat then that is fine for you.   Not for me though.  For me there is the mystery of the what and the why.

John

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Assisi said:

That is not the answer to your conundrum.  It is just denial of possibilities.  If that is what floats you boat then that is fine for you.   Not for me though.  For me there is the mystery of the what and the why.

John

Well you keep saying it like we're doing something wrong. That's the only reason I answer. But I have carefully avoided saying what I really think.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



8 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

No. No. No... It is completely unacceptable to have to endure two separate questionable audiophile phenomena from the one device! 

The Paul Pang is developing more sophistication over time.  I do not call it burn in rather settling in.

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

No. No. No... It is completely unacceptable to have to endure two separate questionable audiophile phenomena from the one device! ?

Probably need to ensure cable directionality is correct!:ike: or maybe need to test both ways to be sure...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, frednork said:

Probably need to ensure cable directionality is correct!:ike: or maybe need to test both ways to be sure...

The PP comes with a short Ethernet cable that is directional to connect the 8 top ports with the bottom 8.  Source goes in the top and the out into the bottom row.

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Assisi said:

The PP comes with a short Ethernet cable that is directional to connect the 8 top ports with the bottom 8.  Source goes in the top and the out into the bottom row.

John

Am 100% sure all your cables will be optimised for the big comparo!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites



5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:
6 hours ago, Assisi said:

I would be interested in running them together especially using optical 

I do not use SFP (optical) so do not know it.  However, I read that it is more than plugging in and there are potential compatibility issues.  If you want to test optical, suggest reading up and testing before hand.

If anyone tries fibre, share here ...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/02/2020 at 8:36 PM, frednork said:

i have a 2960 you can play with (and teach me how to use)

Some owners liked having a Cisco 2960 in front of the Uptone EtherRegen (ER).  I found that the Cisco changed the sound slightly and prefer running without it. I am speculating that maybe those owners were used to the Cisco 2960 sound and thus chose to retain it in the chain?

 

@frednork had a much shorter listening session on my setup and agreed it was better without the 2960.

Edited by Snoopy8
Correction
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
To Top