New TV to replace Plasma?

Hey guys,

Need to get a new TV for my parents as their old 51" Samsung Plasma (pretty sure it is a 2011 model) failed last week, but not 100% sure on what to get. Have been looking pretty hard at the TCL C835 in the 55" size,

I asked my repair guy (I highly respect his opinion) on what to get, and he said to stay away from TCL as they're not too good to get parts for and repair, so a bit iffy on TCL due to that, but I like that the TCL has Google TV OS and also seems to be really good price to performance. He recommended Hisense, however, I don't like the operating system they use (if they had Google TV/Android TV, I would have seriously considered them).

Budget I had in mind was around $1200, but can stretch it a bit more as I want to get my parents a decent replacement for the Samsung Plasma to watch sport on among other things (room that it's going it isn't bright, so not sure if Mini LED would be too bright?). Was originally going to go about $1000 or less, as I figured that maybe newer lower end LCDs have finally surpassed the older Plasmas (I guess they have in some areas, but not others)?

As mentioned, the TV would be used to watch a lot of sport (Football, Basketball, Tennis etc.), so I am guessing the cheaper LCDs don't handle sport/motion too well like a Plasma does? What do I need to be looking at to match the smoothness of a Plasma? Would something like the TCL C835 be good enough in that regard? Is there other models to look at in a similar price range that would be good for sport?

Edited by IceZeroZero9

33 minutes ago, IceZeroZero9 said:

...I thought this was the go-to forum, but I guess not anymore

We help where we can, but TVs on the low end do not get much interest.

Please have a look at Rtings.  While it is a USA website, it does provide useful guidance for Aus.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/budget

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/sports

51 minutes ago, IceZeroZero9 said:

Anyone have an opinion? If not, is there somewhere else I can post/ask these questions. I thought this was the go-to forum, but I guess not anymore

(it's a big forum now and posts like yours get quickly lost, meh. That's what happens)

Opinion is that you should maybe up your budget(seriously) for your folks, your swimming around in the bottom end of the market at the moment.

Recently replaced a 15yr old 40" Panna plasma that's still going strong(buggers are bullet proof) with a LG 55" C1 oled for 2k. Stunning picture, all the goodies you could ever want. Heaps and heaps of them out there, I dare say they've dropped in price with the advent of the C2's.

Broaden your search, do your own research and come back with a shortlist of contenders for the happy campers here to consider.

@IceZeroZero9 Plasma were great tvs with awesome picture quality. I had a Panasonic plasma and replaced it with a Sony OLED. I realise this is not within your budget. 

However if your parents watch a lot of sport I would first go with the main brands (Sony, Samsung, LG) as I am sure their software is better than the cheaper brands which will affect the motion handling. Unfortunately I think you need to increase your budget and based on my brothers experience have a look at the Samsung QLEDS.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

We help where we can, but TVs on the low end do not get much interest.

Please have a look at Rtings.  While it is a USA website, it does provide useful guidance for Aus.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/budget

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/sports

Thanks for the reply. I sort of haven't logged on to the forum for a few years, so I didn't realize it's mostly high end stuff that gets talked about here. I knew there are a lot of experts here and from what I remember this was the go-to forum for all things like this related to video, audio etc.

The problem with that Rtings website is that is seems the TCL models in the US are different. Also, it seems like Hisense is using Android/Google TV in that first link you gave me? Does the US version have a different OS to the AU version?

1 hour ago, Luc said:

(it's a big forum now and posts like yours get quickly lost, meh. That's what happens)

Opinion is that you should maybe up your budget(seriously) for your folks, your swimming around in the bottom end of the market at the moment.

Recently replaced a 15yr old 40" Panna plasma that's still going strong(buggers are bullet proof) with a LG 55" C1 oled for 2k. Stunning picture, all the goodies you could ever want. Heaps and heaps of them out there, I dare say they've dropped in price with the advent of the C2's.

Broaden your search, do your own research and come back with a shortlist of contenders for the happy campers here to consider.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you use your Panasonic Plasma much throughout those years? Pretty awesome that it's still going.

From a personal standpoint, my own TV is also a Panasonic Plasma 50" (ST60A I think it is, so not sure if the build quality/components used would be as good as the VT60A), and from what I was told a few years ago when I was looking to upgrade for a 4K TV for myself, that OLED is the only upgrade path. I was still pretty happy with the Panasonic and was OK with 1080p, so I have stuck with it since then (not sure if the landscape has changed much since then for upgrade paths for me?). Also, the Panasonic I have definitely has better picture quality that my parents' Samsung Plasma which is two years older, so I thought there might be some non-OLED TVs that could be good replacements for my parents' Plasma without breaking the bank so to speak.

As for a replacement for my parent's TV, in the price range I was looking, the TCL seemed to be the best one. Not sure what other research I can do. Are you guys pretty much saying all those TVs in that price range are going to suck compared to their old Plasma? In what ways would they be inferior to the Plasma? Would it just be motion, viewing angles, or is there other deficiencies they'd have?

29 minutes ago, Whites said:

@IceZeroZero9 Plasma were great tvs with awesome picture quality. I had a Panasonic plasma and replaced it with a Sony OLED. I realise this is not within your budget. 

However if your parents watch a lot of sport I would first go with the main brands (Sony, Samsung, LG) as I am sure their software is better than the cheaper brands which will affect the motion handling. Unfortunately I think you need to increase your budget and based on my brothers experience have a look at the Samsung QLEDS.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, they watch a lot of sport, so that is why I thought I'd come on here and ask you guys some questions and recommendations. I did look at Samsung and LG, but preferred something with Android TV OS (I guess the OS isn't that important as I could buy a media player such as a Firestick or Android based media player?).  Anyway, was sort of hoping you guys would recommend some models/brands to look at. It's also kind of crappy that most of those name brands have 1 year warranty, so not only are they more expensive than TCL, Hisense, I'd have to fork out for extended warranty if buying LG, Samsung etc. (is it worth getting extended warranty?)

What was your brother's experience? What does/did he have? I assume he went with a Samsung QLED in the end?

Anyway, if you guys say I need to up my budget (if you don't think something like the TCL C835 will cut it), what am I going to need to up the budget to (would $1500 be more reasonable)? I don't want to get something smaller than what their current TV was (51 inch), as they said they'd be happy with a similar size, so I was thinking 55" would be OK.

Edited by IceZeroZero9

Another option is to have the Plasma repaired, but my repair guy said it's not worth it. Said it would be about $450 or so. I am OK with that price, but since it's an old TV, not sure if another part might fail shortly after repairing it, thus wasting that $450 that could be used towards the cost of another/newer TV.

Edit : Been doing a bit of research and seems like the US models of Hisense and TCL are different. Why is that? Hisense is running Google TV on the U8H.

If anyone can give me some better AU models to look at than the TCL C835, I will check them out. Is there any 50 inch or so OLEDs under $2000? If not, what would be the next best technology?

Edited by IceZeroZero9

On 24/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, Luc said:

Hi, just wanted to ask about the LG C1 OLED you mentioned. You said there is heaps around, but it seems that it's last year's model and none of the stores I looked at had any stock. I was thinking because it's last year's model prices might be cheaper if I could find stock, but can't seem to find any at the places I can purchase from (Good guys, Harvey Norman, Retravision). Not sure where else I could look that would also ship to my location (country WA).

7 hours ago, IceZeroZero9 said:

can't seem to find any at the places I can purchase from

Yup. All gone as far as I know.

If your serious about upgrading then you need to know what your after(C2 maybe?) and keep an eye out. Best place for this in Aus?

We want best price and we want it now.

There's no better than this, you will find a bargain but you need to be on top of this 'tag', everyday, every moment have an alert set up on your ph/tablet/pc/laptop ect.

My TV went from $4299 to $2470 (briefly, like one hour and then it leapt back up again) and I bought it on my ph from the GG's as soon as I saw it.

Know your product, watch the YT vids on this.

This guy is great.  Vincent

This is the TV I replaced my old Panasonic plasma with, it's been fantastic. Even C2's are dropped in price. Research them.

On 25/10/2022 at 2:39 AM, IceZeroZero9 said:

Another option is to have the Plasma repaired, but my repair guy said it's not worth it. Said it would be about $450 or so

It’s definitely not worth repairing when you could pick up an equivalent or better plasma  <$100 2nd hand.    

When my Panasonic plasma finally dies I’ll be going OLED.    

If that was tomorrow I’d be tempted by 65” Philips OLED that Harvey norman have for $2.5k at the moment,   But would probably stretch to LG for their reputation and support for latest gaming consoles (future proofing for the kids.  Way more that is sensible for me to spend but I’ve seen so many disappointing lcds I’d rather not stuff around. 

Cheapest OLED I’ve seen is probably 55” Philips for $1.5 k on Amazon a while ago.  

I am all for Hisense and some of the cheaper LG, Samsung etc. 

Mainly because TV's seem to update pretty quickly through the years now and the tech just seems to be really taking off.

Get a good warranty and maybe if you prefer a Google TV interface then get the addon device, then you can buy any brand.

They seem to go on sale at different times. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/chromecast-with-google-tv-4k

Seen a few on facebook marketplace at a good price lately.

If your parents are anything like mine, they will love any TV you end up getting them.

A nice touch is to add a soundbar. Improved the legibility of vocals for my Dad and also for me. :)

Edited by rocky500

7 hours ago, rocky500 said:

I am all for Hisense and some of the cheaper LG, Samsung etc. 

Mainly because TV's seem to update pretty quickly through the years now and the tech just seems to be really taking off.

Get a good warranty and maybe if you prefer a Google TV interface then get the addon device, then you can buy any brand.

They seem to go on sale at different times. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/chromecast-with-google-tv-4k

If your parents are anything like mine, they will love any TV you end up getting them.

A nice touch is to add a soundbar. Improved the legibility of vocals for my Dad and also for me. :)

Yeah, the sound is the bit that's gone backwards,  thus why soundbars . 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys. The TV I was going to buy TCL 55C835), the price seems to have gone up (should have bought during the click frenzy sales, but people said to wait until BF and I also wanted to wait and see what deals were on, seems like that was a mistake, though). I really don't feel like paying more for a TV that was around $200 cheaper a week and a half ago when there was also a $100 cashback from TCL. Not sure if I can go in to try and negotiate the price down. I did go in-store on the last day of the CF sales, but the salesman also said to wait until BF sales as there'd be great deals on. I guess lesson learned is that if you find a TV for a good price you're happy to pay, don't wait around for a better deal.

Anyway, currently looking at secondhand Plasmas as a stopgap TV. Found a Panasonic TH-P50G10A, but not sure how that compares to my parents' Samsung PS51D550 (2011) as the Panasonic is a couple of years older (2009 model).

I also wanted to ask for when I do get a newer model LCD, what is a good cost effective/cheap soundbar to get? I didn't think about the newer TVs having average speakers as the ones on the Plasma they had are decent. I am assuming the newer TVs don't have great speakers because they are thinner TVs, so no room to house better speakers?

On 26/10/2022 at 7:45 PM, manchu said:

It’s definitely not worth repairing when you could pick up an equivalent or better plasma  <$100 2nd hand.  

Yeah, I am now looking at this option.

If that was tomorrow I’d be tempted by 65” Philips OLED that Harvey norman have for $2.5k at the moment,   But would probably stretch to LG for their reputation and support for latest gaming consoles (future proofing for the kids.  Way more that is sensible for me to spend but I’ve seen so many disappointing lcds I’d rather not stuff around. 

From what I read, Philips has some really good OLEDs, but why can't you find many in stores? Are they still going to sell new release models here in AU?

Cheapest OLED I’ve seen is probably 55” Philips for $1.5 k on Amazon a while ago.

Are they more available in places like this rather than stores? Do you have a link to some on Amazon?

On 26/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, rocky500 said:

Are you referring to LCD TVs on FB marketplace?

I have an Firestick that I could use if getting one that doesn't have a good OS like Hisense for example with their VIDAA OS that I heard it crap.

I wanted to get them something decent that would be a good replacement to their Samsung Plasma. I don't think cheap LCDs would cut it, but like others have said, not sure how much they'd notice the difference. I can notice it, though.

A nice touch is to add a soundbar. Improved the legibility of vocals for my Dad and also for me.

On 27/10/2022 at 5:05 AM, eman said:

Yeah, the sound is the bit that's gone backwards,  thus why soundbars . 

Yeah, I never thought of this, especially if getting a new TV that isn't a high end model which would probably have decent sound. Do you guys have any recommendations for a cheapish soundbar that would make a decent difference?

Edited by IceZeroZero9

39 minutes ago, IceZeroZero9 said:

Are you referring to LCD TVs on FB marketplace?

I was referring to devices like the Chromecast with Google TV (4K).

Should be cheaper during black friday sales too.

Edited by rocky500

Mainly mention that sort of device, so you do not always have to think you are locked in to the interface that comes with a new TV.

You can buy another "smart interface" to suit any TV.

These devices can be better than what comes standard with some TV's. Can be more current and get more updates too.

• Like 1

I have been going through these decisions recently.I have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma which still works well.The cheaper grades of LED TVs have pretty horrible picture quality compared to the plasma TVs.Especially on free to air.The OLED types might come close but some of them have a lot of glare.[Samsung and Hisense especially]I thought the Sony's have the most natural picture. and LG are not too bad.I have decided to keep using the plasma and keep an eye out for a larger second hand plasma.

I have a projector for when I want a bigger picture.

• 1 month later...

I'd also take into consideration the viewing distance for the TV and your parents' eyes - by that I mean no point in getting specifications/resolution that they can't benefit from.

Your folks may have 20-20 vision but I'm just saying as my mum recently replaced their 42" plasma with a new TV and she didn't want to disturb me so didn't tell me. She was sold a 4K OLED by TGG and based on my parents' viewing distance and quality of eyesight they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a 1080p. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought.

Samsung were known to use dodgy capacitors in the power circuit.  A few years ago we had a Samsung suddenly die.  I Googled the model and issue, and there were clear instructions online about what would go wrong with them and how to fix.  I bought 2 capacitors (maybe $3??), and with my son, we swapped out the bad ones (only a bit of solder - that was it). Voila.  Fixed!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies. Just wanted to say that I ended up getting them a stopgap TV that I found on FB Marketplace. It was an older model TV - Sony 55W900A. Paid a bit more than I wanted to, but bought it a couple of days just before Christmas as I wanted to have something by then. I am surprised that the image quality is pretty darn good. It's only a 1080p TV (refresh rate says 960Hz in the marketing, so I assume it's 240Hz at 1080p as I am guessing the marketing back then was all about refresh rates?), and also an LCD, but was pretty surprised at how good it is for an older model. They are pretty happy with it, so will likely keep it for a while and look at this year's models/next years models for an upgrade. Hopefully this TV runs OK for a while as I'd still like to get them something newer, and keep this one as a working spare/backup TV for them.

On 01/02/2023 at 7:57 AM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Just a thought.

Samsung were known to use dodgy capacitors in the power circuit.  A few years ago we had a Samsung suddenly die.  I Googled the model and issue, and there were clear instructions online about what would go wrong with them and how to fix.  I bought 2 capacitors (maybe $3??), and with my son, we swapped out the bad ones (only a bit of solder - that was it). Voila.  Fixed!

I actually took it in to an electronics guy I know and that is what he thought it might be too, so he said to bring it in as it may be an easy fix with changing a few capacitors. It wasn't. I think he said one of the sustain boards failed and also the power supply board.

On 07/01/2023 at 8:20 AM, purpleninja said:

I'd also take into consideration the viewing distance for the TV and your parents' eyes - by that I mean no point in getting specifications/resolution that they can't benefit from.

Your folks may have 20-20 vision but I'm just saying as my mum recently replaced their 42" plasma with a new TV and she didn't want to disturb me so didn't tell me. She was sold a 4K OLED by TGG and based on my parents' viewing distance and quality of eyesight they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a 1080p. 

Yeah, thanks for that good bit of advice. Definitely something to consider I got them a 55", but they just didn't want anything bigger regardless of distance. The viewing distance is probably 2 to 3 meters away. Not sure what size is recommended at that distance? How far away was the viewing distance for your mum? What size TV did TGG sell her? And what would you have bought if she didn't already buy it herself? Hopefully she didn't get ripped off and got it at a good price.

Edited by IceZeroZero9