IGNORED

Sony Bravia 55X85K No Sound

New TV latest model switching between apps and TV ( eg from SBS on Demand to TV) the sound drops out. Only an issue going from an app back to TV, not the other way.

Originally had the TV connected via a Yamaha Receiver, had the sound issues which Sony support though was an issue between TV and Receiver.

Clearly not.

Do I have a dud TV, or is there something I should check first? 

Many thanks 

When I'm watching FTA TV and go into the TV guide on my A95K I find the volume can drop, but not to silence.

I did, for the first time, have sound totally drop out for a short time when watching House of Dragons streamed from YouTube yesterday.

When you are streaming, are you using WiFi or have it cabled up ?

A lot of people have been reporting issues with WiFi connections on the A95K, I imagine it could be the same with your X85K

What HDMI port are you using from the TV to your receiver?

And is your HDMI cable 2.1 capable ?

I mistaking used a none 2.1 HDMI cable between my TV and HT amp when moving stuff around last week, and couldn't work out why things weren't working properly [things in the menus started to be Greyed out when previously I could use them]

You want to be using the one marked eARC from the TV and to the equivalent one on your receiver.

eARC makes no difference with picture quality, it's sole purpose is sound related. 

Also, when getting out of Apple TV via your TV's App, do you return to the App page, or are you returning to the FTA TV page.

I'd try both and see if the issue is still occurring.

Edited by Tweaky

Hi Thanks for your reply, appreciated 😀

I'm not using an external AV device, the issues are with the TV.

We are using WiFi

Seems strange that our last TV also a Sony Bravia 2016 model 55 inch smart TV with Android worked without issue.

When we had the Yamaha RX-V379 connected to the new TV it was ARC to ARC via a new HDMI cable (unsure if 2.1 capable - a new Belkin) both TV and Receiver synced via Bravia sync. and set up as per both manuals.

Incidentally we have had issues with AppleTV where the current episode of a show ends and it rolls along to the next episode automatiaccly - the sound drops out at the start of the new episode.

The only way to get sound back is to power the TV off/on.

[edit] to move between apps and TV we use the Input button and menu options rather than the Home button

Edited by flashpixx
further info

11 hours ago, flashpixx said:

Hi Thanks for your reply, appreciated 😀

I'm not using an external AV device, the issues are with the TV.

We are using WiFi

Seems strange that our last TV also a Sony Bravia 2016 model 55 inch smart TV with Android worked without issue.

When we had the Yamaha RX-V379 connected to the new TV it was ARC to ARC via a new HDMI cable (unsure if 2.1 capable - a new Belkin) both TV and Receiver synced via Bravia sync. and set up as per both manuals.

Incidentally we have had issues with AppleTV where the current episode of a show ends and it rolls along to the next episode automatiaccly - the sound drops out at the start of the new episode.

The only way to get sound back is to power the TV off/on.

[edit] to move between apps and TV we use the Input button and menu options rather than the Home button

This is a weird problem you are suffering

I have Apple TV, but it's installed on a PS5, I should change to using the Apple TV App on the TV so I can watch things in Dolby Vision, which the PS5 doesn't do.

But your problem has now made me hesitant to do that

Instead of turning the TV off, try pressing the TV button on your remote to get FTA TV, then go back and start up Apple TV and see if the issue is still happening, it might only be a temporary fix though.

Another thing you could try is to clear the cache of the Apple TV App.

There are a lot of good tips in the video below, but the one you want to try to fix your issue is at 3.44 of the video.

• Like 2

Well so far there have been no issues with the TV since clearing the cache and doing a full reset (Sony advice - if in doubt turn it off and on again 🤣 ).

Havent reconnected the Yamaha receiver as yet, but will do when I have some time to do so and do some testing.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions

• Like 1