IGNORED

Are reel tapes only of interest if pre-recorded?

I advertised some for sale, but got only one expression of interest.

However, Jap didn't even advertise, and sold all his pre-recorded reel tapes.

Is there any interest in non-pre-recorded tapes, especially in Perth, or should I just chuck them in the bin?

On 17/09/2022 at 12:51 PM, Antipodean Brad said:

Is there any interest in non-pre-recorded tapes, especially in Perth, or should I just chuck them in the bin?

How they are stored there seems to be a concensus Brad  . And some ce's used formulas that lead to sticky shed syndrome according to wikipedia ?  

Sticky-shed syndrome is a condition created by the deterioration of the binders in a magnetic tape, which hold the ferric oxide magnetizable coating to its plastic carrier, or which hold the thinner back-coating on the outside of the tape.[1] This deterioration renders the tape unusable.[2] Some kinds of binder are known to break down over time, due to the absorption of moisture (hydrolysis).

The problem goes back to the 1970's when most tape manufacturers made an ill-advised decision to change the formulation of the "binder" used to glue the magnetic tape particles to the plastic base material. Unknowingly, the new formulation attracted moisture, and eventually enough accumulated to make the tape go "sticky".