Jump to content

Absolute Audio Labs ASL-1Z Preamp


MattyW

Recommended Posts

You are not alone there, I would find out all I could about the items carrier and then track the aircraft all the way to Australia on one of those aircraft tracker sites and then keep looking to see when it is out for delivery, how sad is that haha

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



14 hours ago, Gav said:

You are not alone there, I would find out all I could about the items carrier and then track the aircraft all the way to Australia on one of those aircraft tracker sites and then keep looking to see when it is out for delivery, how sad is that haha


Haha, and reread every available review and skerrik of information available online in any language (thank goodness for Google translate) over and over until it arrives. Can’t do that with all my most recent purchases though. No reviews or discussion out there. Too few SIT-A15 in existence, the first and last ASL-1Z are just being sent now (3 units) and Lii Song PT-10 not officially released yet..... The price of getting low production number items and getting early access to equipment.
 

Of my current system it’s really just the Soundaware streamer, Afterdark OCXO clock and icOn 4PRO have much by way of reviews. I’ve been lucky recently I guess.

Edited by MattyW
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you get the Furutech FX-Coax from Aurealis ( did you get Furutech conectors?) , I think you used to have another Aurealis silver there ounce.

 

Was there much difference between the two 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I have that cable and used it for a time between a Blu-Ray player and DAC for movies and the occasional CD. It's now in a drawer (no longer have Blu-Ray) though sounded fantastic while in use. I have Aurealis Duelund pure silver clock cables in use though never had another pure silver Aurealis coax cable.......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Well it's arrived. Box looks undamaged. Buddy seems interested in it for some reason.... Clever boy he is  :)

 

325133763_5507689746024923_7374083677437029531_n.thumb.jpg.b066c8dfc42facec906f1a9a2de5246b.jpg

 

The unboxening will occur once my wife goes to work so in roughly another hour  ;)

 

Ah bleeping hell, Lii Song PT-10 drivers delivered this morning before my wife went to work also. Just got yelled at. Why couldn't it be delivered in the afternoon? Drivers are a fair bit heavier than the pre actually.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn, I’m actually a bit flabbergasted by this….. My system has taken on a naturalness beyond anything I’ve experienced before. It’s actually transporting me to the recording room / venue of each recording. Tubelike in a sense yet will real depth to bass and impact where called for. I don’t even want to skip through my demo playlist to hear each track. Sounds so good I have to let each track finish. This is insane!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



I just don't have words to express this without resorting to swear words..... The system sounds massive. Big and solid/palpable. It has all the magic of tubes with none of the colouration and insanely fast transients, hugely dynamic and big solid, impactful bass. I had to drop the level of my sub slightly.

 

Where needed it's smooth and delicate, and with other music it rocks and slams as never before and all through it a richness and solidity to the sound. I'm..... I'm lost for words..... How do a pair of 6" drivers in a back loaded horn sound like this? Hell, how do any speakers produce sound like this?

 

Previously my system had some tube like qualities yet I always felt some of the magic tubes bring was absent yet it's now there and then some. Everything I like about tubes without any of the downsides, combined with everything I like about solid state and none of the downsides....

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

I am very happy for you, i just had a felling the Pre would be a good match for your Amp, but sounds as if it has past your wildest dreams.


Yes, a far greater improvement than expected and no burn in yet and SR Purple fuse still on the way. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites



3 hours ago, metal beat said:

 

A good one I meant, otherwise you wouldn't have gone down the streaming path 😉


It was a fantastic one….. Problem was I ended up looking at $8k cartridges before I came to my senses. Vinyl sounds fantastic but it’s a money pit. Also with a young child in the house it was no longer practical.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MattyW said:


It was a fantastic one….. Problem was I ended up looking at $8k cartridges before I came to my senses. Vinyl sounds fantastic but it’s a money pit. Also with a young child in the house it was no longer practical.

I know that pain all too well.  RIP Delos and recently Hana ML... 😭.. stick to digital for the next few years would be my suggestion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

I know that pain all too well.  RIP Delos and recently Hana ML... 😭.. stick to digital for the next few years would be my suggestion.

 

I also never got over snapping the ruby cantilever with FGS tip off my Klipsch MCZ-7 cartridge..... A rare Supex made cartridge which combined the gorgeous midrange with far better treble and bass extension than other Supex carts I've tried and it didn't seem to vary in performance as much due to varying humidity levels vs other carts either. It wasn't an inexpensive retip and looking back was the beginning of the end of how I looked at vinyl. Geez I had some rare carts too. The Empire EDR9 was also a stunner in terms of performance. I never liked the Fidelity Research FR-1 Mk3F as much as other apparently did though. Seemed a bit boring though the FR-7 was a charming sounding cartridge. Love FR tonearms and SUT though the Hashimoto HM-7 remains the best I'd tried dependent on the cart it was paired with. Denon carts seemed to pair beautifully with vintage Jensen SUT. The Valab LCR-1 Mk3 phono stage was also rather special in it's sonics, as was the Abbas EL84 output phono stage.

 

But yeah, all in the past now. That said I did splash out  $3k for an Amaria LP18S turntable and EAR 834P circuit phono stage for dad recently..... Along with some Soundeck platter mat, Empire 2000 E/III cart and some Duelund RCA leads. He wanted a new table to replace his old Dual 1228 and I know how he values aesthetic quality of components and ease of use so it seemed a reasonable way to go. This will be his birthday and Christmas present for the next few years.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



20 hours ago, MattyW said:

I just don't have words to express this without resorting to swear words..... The system sounds massive. Big and solid/palpable. It has all the magic of tubes with none of the colouration and insanely fast transients, hugely dynamic and big solid, impactful bass. I had to drop the level of my sub slightly.

 

Where needed it's smooth and delicate, and with other music it rocks and slams as never before and all through it a richness and solidity to the sound. I'm..... I'm lost for words..... How do a pair of 6" drivers in a back loaded horn sound like this? Hell, how do any speakers produce sound like this?

 

Previously my system had some tube like qualities yet I always felt some of the magic tubes bring was absent yet it's now there and then some. Everything I like about tubes without any of the downsides, combined with everything I like about solid state and none of the downsides....

Sounds like you've hit that point of sonic Nirvana with your system Matty! Very few of us rarely gets to this state through their journey.  Enjoy and well deserved!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

Sounds like you've hit that point of sonic Nirvana with your system Matty! Very few of us rarely gets to this state through their journey.  Enjoy and well deserved!

 

Yet the vinyl rips I did with my system still sound best played back through the current system. Still it was more a life choice than pure sound quality choice.

 

Perversely I suspect if I had my previous analog chain it would shine more now than it did then. The rest of the chain is better. It should be too as sale of the playback gear and LP's paid a good portion of the upgrades to my current sound chain.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...
To Top