Lord of the Rings : The Rings of Power

All of us watched it on Friday. It felt right, in the world set before LOTR movie.

Like many fans, we went into this show with the same thought as Jeff Bezo's son who said "Dad, please don't eff this up" (link).  Yes, we are a funny lot of fans, coming in with HUGE expectations, yet dreading the let down (aka The Hobbit).

PQ was excellent but Atmos SQ and music was even better.  Looking forward to see how the story develops.

No spoilers please.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Sign of our times and the social media disease.  It is so easy to criticise... 😢

Best not to read such articles.  Otherwise you end up never watching anything :cry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have watched EP1, I actually thoroughly enjoyed it TBH. I haven’t read the article above, but surprised if there is heavy seated criticism, what are people expecting here ??

i agree the visual and audio quality are very well done.

One telling observation for me, my wife said after watching it”this is so much better than the new Game of Thrones series”…..

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SGS said:

Anyone watching this has BIG expectations. 2 episodes in and not enough to make a call yet, sound and picture both excellent. 

My main pick so far, Elrond is too short, poor casting.

He might still be growing.

• Haha 3

Just like the movies, Howard Shore composed the main theme score and Simon Tolkien is the consultant. I thought the language script & CGI scenes are consistent with the movies & it almost seems like a movie rather than TV series. This is great effort as Peter Jackson spent alot of time perfecting the LoTR series.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the talk in (mostly) social media regarding African/American actors playing Elves and Halflings in the series ?

I must admit I did pick it up quite early as a point of interest/difference whilst watching the first ep. But It just seems like a natural progression in casting to me (and probably a better representation of the potential diversity of a fantasy world like middle-earth) rather than a distraction.

Apparently older content (even set in a fantasy world !) triggers some people these days…

• Volunteer
On 6/9/2022 at 8:16 AM, Snoopy8 said:

PQ was excellent but Atmos SQ and music was even better.  Looking forward to see how the story develops.

We started watching it on the TV and actually stopped it and switched to the PJ and it looks gorgeous.

Have watched all three eps so far released and am enjoying it very much.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching this series. I'm not all that familiar with the Silmarillion, but I do have some fairly big reservations about this series.

For a start, it's 'dark'....that is, it follows the trend (in movies etc) of the last couple of decades in making everything look 'dark'. Also, in Ep 3, Galadriel manages to overpower (single-handedly) about 4 big burly guards and so makes the whole thing look quite ridiculous.

I'll continue to watch, but I doubt I'll go the distance.

I've enjoyed the series so far, although Galadriel is getting on my nerves, as her portrayal by Morfydd Clark is very one dimensional, with same stance and camera angle used on her every time, showing a single "serious" look of belligerence throughout the series so far.

I understand that she is portraying a much younger Galadriel [ 1200 - 2200 years old ] than the one portrayed by Cate Blanchett in TLOTR [ 7000 years old ].

Hopefully they might write her as appearing to mellow a bit as the series goes on and show some emotion, but she's like a single minded Elvin robot ATM and getting boring to watch.

The other Elves charterers are also appearing over self composed, making them comes across as long lived but soulless.

At least the script for the series has been good, cliche's have been few and far between, and there has been little unneeded waffling on written for the characters.

Yes the series has that Dark Look about it, but the whole premise of the story is the Darkness is slowly encroaching everywhere, and Galadriel has been the closest to getting to it's source, so it's unsurprising really considering the places show in the series so far.

• Like 4

Gosh, how boring this show is and it’s so frustrating yo watch.

This video sums bit up and not just that, totally agree with his comments about the harfoots!

Edited by MoveD
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ars Paart said:

Surely we don't need videos of right-wing clowns like Shapiro here.

Just to be clear, I don’t know his politics and I don’t know what he stands for. It just happened that after I watched his review of the show I completely agreed with his comments about this show.

• Like 3

It was always going to be the slowest of slow burns... Just look at the long versions of the movies.

Look up "Lord of the rings clerks 2" on youtube. Highly offensive!!! NSFW!!! But hilarious pisstake on how slow they go.

Hoping for some epic battles etc, and Gandalf's development will be fascinating.

I definitely get why it's not for everyone... They will be loooooooong.

Edited by TheBlackDisc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MoveD said:

Just to be clear, I don’t know his politics and I don’t know what he stands for. It just happened that after I watched his review of the show I completely agreed with his comments about this show.

I haven't watched any of the Rings Of Power episodes yet. I've also never heard of this Ben Shapiro guy before, and don't know anything about him. I started watching that YouTube clip of his but really couldn't sit through it. The guy just gabbles at high speed.

I enjoyed the Peter Jackson Lord Of The Rings films (extended versions), The Hobbit didn't work so well though.

I may start watching the Rings Of Power series, but will form my own opinion if/when I do.

Hmm, just read the wiki page summary of Ben Shapiro.... nuff said, and that is as close as I will get to politics here.

Edited by emesbee

For those who has enjoyed the show please skip this as I want you to continue enjoy watching.

For those who thinks the show sucks  or can’t quite figure out why it sucks, this video might explains why.

He claimed, like me who is not a total Tolkien fan, and has no agenda for it to stick to original Tolkien story, and have no problem with the new casts being multi-racial.

• Like 1