IGNORED

Rega quality control

100ASLT

Just got a new P10.  The dealer came to set it up and discovered several scratches in the tonearm and head shell (not from machining).  I also discovered a considerable amount of play in the arm lift.  The dealer has suggested we should send it back for a replacement, something I agree with.  At this price range, especially,  this shouldn't happen.  I will insist that they also replace the PSU as they are supposedly matched to the turntable at the factory.  I previously had to send back a P8 PSU which was replaced but the new one was not matched to the turntable.  I also had to send back an Aria for replacement.  In both cases the push switches would not engage properly.  I'm happy with the sound of the products but am beginning to suspect those tight tolerances they brag about on their website may not be backed up by quality control in the assembly process.  A week ago I got the Aura and have had no issues so far.  Touch wood. 

Anyone else with similar issues?  

• Like 2

Just recently I purchased a brand new Rega P3 turntable.  When I unpacked the turntable, the counter weight on the tonearm had a few scratches on it as though it had been used before.  Not a good look for a brand new turntable.  I've also had problems with my Rega Apollo reading some discs.  The quality control may be a bit suspect from time to time but that may be a reflection on the cottage industry nature of the company.  Generally speaking, I still like Rega products.

• Like 1

I also have Rega poor quality control story. I purchased a new RP8/Aphetta and after only a couple of months we moved so the TT was packed up in the original box and stored for a 18 months until our house was finished.

To cut a long story short when I setup the RP8 it was ok for a few weeks then started miss-tracking. On close inspection the bottom of the Aphetta had come away and was rubbing on the LP. The cartridge had less than 10hrs on it at this point. I sent it back to the retailer and Rega would not warrant the cart. The fix was to buy a new a Aphetta 2 although they did give me the trade in discount. Boy I wish I hadn't bought the Aphetta 2. I ended up selling the RP8 and would never buy Rega again.

• Like 1

Be great if you all emailed the local distributor with this feedback. I have been giving them feedback for years on Rega's QC but I cant help but feel ignored as nothing ever seems to change.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 10:01 PM, Hydrology said:

Be great if you all emailed the local distributor with this feedback. I have been giving them feedback for years on Rega's QC but I cant help but feel ignored as nothing ever seems to change.

I think that the term quality control is an Oxymoron when talking about Rega products.

They ignore complaints because they know they can get away with it. When you have become iconic ( for whatever reason) you can get away with almost anything ( aided and abetted by distributors and (some ) dealers.

• Like 2

On 07/09/2022 at 3:21 AM, rantan said:

I think that the term quality control is an Oxymoron when talking about Rega products.

They ignore complaints because they know they can get away with it. When you have become iconic ( for whatever reason) you can get away with almost anything ( aided and abetted by distributors and (some ) dealers.

I bought into the b/s a long time ago. I first bought a Rega 2 and then a Rega 3 in the early 80s'. If you tightened the arm the resulting sound was awful. It had to be so loose before you could get a decent sound. I had the Rega RB300 rewired by Origin Live - it sounded a bit better. I then had a look at the bearing which was very basic, a phosper bronze cup. I removed the stainless steel bearing, cleaned it and put it on a sheet of glass where it rolled around a like drunk. 

This is unforgivable for a major company, since bearings come in grades Ron Gandy could easily have specced grade 1 - I have no idea how far down the grading system those bearings were but definitely nowhere near the best.

With those early arms it was easy to rewire. With the Rega RB200 I used a very cheap wrapping wire and it sounded better than the wire used by Rega.

While their CDPs garnered good reviews you should check the number of complaints about reliability - quality control are strange foreign words with a lot of UK products. I worked in final inspection for a cash register company - Gross Cash Registers, they produced some of the first electronic machines -not using the best tensile steel components in the right places and machines coming up from final assembly which would'nt turn over meant they went bust -not surprised.

• Like 2

Had my p25 for about 20 years now. Never been serviced, a couple of replacement belts and the addition of a shim the only things I’ve done. Still runs like clockwork so no complaints from here.

• Like 4

had a couple of rega apollo cd players,the early versions,one was the 35th anniversary  model,both worked great ,a mate still has one of them and all is good so no complaints from me either,in fact i am in the hunt for the original saturn cd player.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Phill451 said:

Had my p25 for about 20 years now. Never been serviced, a couple of replacement belts and the addition of a shim the only things I’ve done. Still runs like clockwork so no complaints from here.

my p25 went for years with nothing needed either, as has my p9 since ....understand some issues but no issues here. I do have a good retailer though whom i bought from, have no doubt they would back me up with any issue that might eventuate. but no complaints here...

• Like 5

To those with positive views on Rega products - they worked for you but look at the overall stats. Your personal experience is just that. That is why I always look at user reviews to get a good 'realistic' overview on a product or service.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Southerly said:

To those with positive views on Rega products - they worked for you but look at the overall stats. Your personal experience is just that. That is why I always look at user reviews to get a good 'realistic' overview on a product or service.

What are the overall stats? Where do I find them? As a percentage of returns versus products sold in each product category how do they compare with industry standards? I imagine disappointed customers are more likely to post about their experience than those that have a positive experience. I can find bad reviews for a lot of products I have absolutely no issues with, from my service provider supplied modem, my cycling shoes to my car. 

I don’t mean to suggest that there are no QC problems with Rega products and I sympathise with those frustrated by such issues. I hope anyone this applies to has purchased from a reputable dealer who will provide the appropriate support. 

• Like 4

Guest thathifiguy

One need only step foot into Reddit to know that people love to complain when something goes wrong.

It is very rare for them to sing praise comparatively speaking.

Bought a new P6 about 12 months ago and one of the screws that holds the tonearm in place was loose and the steel collar it screws into would spin freely so the tonearm could not be tightened down properly onto plinth.
Had to take it to Importer to get it swapped they initially wanted to exchange it for an ex demo unit, no thanks so I waited a week for a new in box replacement.

• Like 1

Sold Rega from 1985 to 2015.

Very few problems with them. Main one was the TT pulley coming loose. Ohh dear!

From 2007 to 2015 I was a Service Manager for a HiFi Company and rarely had problems with this brand. Only product I didn't like at that time was the RP1.

Good stuff  and sold more Rega's in the 80's then CD players as I could A/B them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lebowski said:

Had to take it to Importer to get it swapped they initially wanted to exchange it for an ex demo unit, no thanks so I waited a week for a new in box replacement.

That's the importer mate and you should of returned it to the Dealer first.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

That's the importer mate and you should of returned it to the Dealer first.

Took to retailer first and they directed me to go importer. Not ideal but I wanted to get it sorted quickly so seemed ok to me

15 minutes ago, lebowski said:

Took to retailer first and they directed me to go importer. Not ideal but I wanted to get it sorted quickly so seemed ok to me

Bloody retailer should of replaced it straight away unless they didn't have one. I would of.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, lebowski said:

Dealer should have sorted this out. There really isn't a reason for a client to go direct to a distributor unless a dealer has/is dropped the ball. Seems like lots of dealers like to sell things but avoid the pitfalls of retail - i.e when things go wrong...

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Bloody retailer should of replaced it straight away unless they didn't have one. I would of.

Yeah that’s what they said to me. No stock. Was annoying at the time but in the end I was happy.

12 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Dealer should have sorted this out. There really isn't a reason for a client to go direct to a distributor unless a dealer has/is dropped the ball. Seems like lots of dealers like to sell things but avoid the pitfalls of retail - i.e when things go wrong...

they sure didn’t go out of their way to help and is one reason I’m not a loyal customer with that particular retailer.

• Like 1

I had a rega planar 3 I bought new in 92 , was great , seemed well made, never missed a beat ( no pun intended) saw I think 4 different cartridges and some groove tracer mods. Sold it in 2014

then I bought a p6, hmmm, the sub platter wasn’t made properly causing the  main platter to rise up n down, sub platter replaced by dealer, but the glass platter you could see where they had bonded the 2 glass halves together leaving this weird cloudy finish. Didn’t seem as well built as the planar 3 either. Sold it 

had a original aria phone stage, that was seemed okay but didn’t keep it very long. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2022 at 1:31 PM, Hydrology said:

The dealer contacted Rega for me and they replaced the P10 immediately with apologies, as they did the previous times.  They came to my home and set it up. That said, it shouldn't happen at all. 

On 07/09/2022 at 12:30 AM, cafe latte said:

Here is some interesting reading..

These are taken from a Rega tour vid they were on the factory wall.

Rega-Wow-and-Flutter-tolerances-2016.png

Rega-Speed-Tolerances-2016.png

Those figures are only as good as the quality control that checks them.