Good morning learned people,

I've been contemplating an AVR upgrade for some time & finally decided on the NAD T778.

I had reviewed many & short listed those down to the NAD, an Arcam or Marantz. For many reasons my ticklist repeatedly brought me back to the NAD.

However, i have 3 questions for you learmed aficionados out there if i may:-

1. Has anyone also been down this similar path & what was your outcome?

2. Does anyone own a T778? I would very much apppreciate your feedback.

3. Does anyone know when NAD are likely to update their models, more explicitly the T778?

For the record,  whilst i really love a good movie experience, more than most to be fair, my heart is and always will be >100% drawn to quality music. And yes, as my SNA handle may less than subtly attempt to convey, whilst i appreciate low levels of volume, normally with others in attendance, i am by far my true self when being at one with quality music at high volume. This might sound strange to others, albeit i suppose I physically & emotionally feel the music more at >ambient levels whereby I feel euphorically immersed during such occasions. Hope that makes some sort of sense & there are other such strange bipedal mammals out there?!

Also, I recently travelled to Melb for the SNA show, thanks for an awesome experience by the way SNA crew, and used the trip to critique my next (1 year) planned purchase following the AVR. Being either a set of Sonus Faber Sonetto III's or B&W 702S's. By the way, you Melbourne folk are literally spoilt for quality audio shops, you lucky things you. Unashamedly, I have been a B&W fan for many decades however read & speaker drooled over the Sonus Fabers more and more over recent years. Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, even though i really believed & wholeheartedly wanted the SF's to blow me away, they didn't. The B&W's were unfreakingbelievable, especially at relatively low volumes.

I'm sure that paints my picture well enough & as a result that's certainly enough waffle from me. Many thanks in advance for the time taken to read this possibly longer than average post & also for any subsequent feedback offered!

Cheers,

Al...

• Like 2

Hi Al,

Exciting times, sorry I don’t own a 778, but do own a C658 stereo pre which also uses Dirac room eq and it’s been a game changer for me.

what’s your current receiver and speakers/subs

have you used Room Eq before?

From what I can see Nad don’t update models that often, thier modular tech system allows them flexibility to add new features to keep original chassis being used for years, the 758 is an example of this it’s currently up to its 4th version with no face changes.

id expect the 778 look to be around for years to come and maybe only get more processing power behind the scenes and maybe a higher res screen like they’ve done recently on the M10v2 so only minor upgrades.

• Like 1

Congrats on the T778! 👏

I had an Anthem MRX 710, then a NAD T758v3 and now an Arcam AVR 550.  Common themes in all 3 are good room correction software and decent power on all channels.

The T758v3 and T778 are essentially the same, with the T778 having more HDMI ports and more power.  Why did I get the T758v3? I wanted to go Atmos but ironically never got around to using it for that!  :classic_sad:.  And why I did I move from the T758v3?  It was a spur of the moment decision but I saw the Arcam in the Classifieds that I could not say no to.  The Arcam sounds slightly better but retail cost new was more than twice!  I still miss BluOS which is excellent.

NAD's update cycle is 3 to 5 years. Other than missing the latest HDMI standards (which I think is a scam to get people anxious to upgrade and more often!), the T778 will continue to be relevant.  I am guessing that T778V2 will come out when the dust settles on HDMI 2.2; not familiar with the technology details but I think the internal bus needs to be faster?

Enjoy...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks so very much for interest & feedback @Hi-Fi Whipped and @Snoopy8.

@Hi-Fi Whipped

I appreciate the dirac recommendation, no matter where i read professional reviews from or SNA member comments, the same comment recurs, being that it is a "game changer".  Well i am certainly ready for my game to be changed, so where do i sign up.

To answer your questions, i have owned numerous setups with almost at least one of all major local commercial oem's. My last was onkyo but it died a year or two ago and quite honestly i was happy about that. What i mean by that is that whilst it had lots of new-age, tech savvy type features that i found quite uninteresting, it just had no personality with regards to sound. It was limp and somewhat almost boring to listen to.

My biggest music attraction was in 1981 when i purchased a Sharp Optonica integrated amp, i loved that thing to death and i must've almost made that occur now that i think about the duty i put that poor thing through during my early years. It's still wrapped up somewhere in my garage. Fast forwarding 12 or so years, i bought a house in a new estate and quickly became friends with like minded music appreciation nutcase; for want of a better phrase. We have both moved our separate ways but are still the very best of friends, he is also a SNA member @Tattoo1 & we travelled to the SNA expo together. He enlightened me to what an AVR and quality components can achieve. I then bought a NAD AVR, can't remember the model, and a full (5.1 in those days) set of Richters. Wow, looking back i must have thought i was Kerry Packer and that was when the bug permanenty infested itself in me, if it wasnt already. So I've owned Yamaha, 2 x Pioneer and the Onkyo since then & several speaker changes throughout several house moves. My current speakers are an aging set of Jensens however whilst they would be considered low-brow in audiophile circles, they still sound great when driven by a decent amp. The 2 x flagship pioneers really made them come alive.

After the onkyo died, i struggled financially to afford what i really wanted as a replacement (i.e.; Marantz SR7015) so opted for a stop gap, being a little Marantz NR1604. It also had the techy savvy features my family had come to appreciate but speaker driving oomph was certainly not in stock.

As it's been >10years since i felt the true euphoric sensations of my music, it's now time for a complete overhaul. Maybe it's also a bucket list come mortality check type of thing but i believe it's the time for some much overdue self-indulgence in my 2nd most treasured passion; 1st being family.

Hence the immediate AVR upgrade & pending B&W 702S's (in datuk finish!) purchase.

By the way, i have not used any room eq previously other than the oem default setup parameters. 

@Snoopy8

Thanks also for your valued feedback.

It's funny, my very recent upgrade solution was a T758 for HT paired with an M10 purely for music. Then i realised I'd still need to pre-amp my turntable and possibly save for new Elektra amp to supplement the T758. When i saw the NAD touchscreens used everywhere at the recent SNA expo, albeit on the M33, i was drawn to the beauty & modernisation that it brought. That thought train repeatedly brings me back to the T778. That being said, i really like the Arcam AVR20 but the additional cost and missing features just comfortably reverts me back to the NAD.

I've probably overshared or dribbled on too much again & if so i apologise, however i honestly enjoy communicating with like minded people in the safe and welcoming environment that is SNA.

Cheers,

Al...

Edited by Playitloud
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Playitloud said:

By the way, i have not used any room eq previously other than the oem default setup parameters.

You will be in for a pleasant surprise. Room Correction software is especially useful for shared rooms.  For movies, let Dirac do its thing, especially if you have upgraded to the full range licence. But if you are intending to use it for music, suggest you read the NAD C658 thread where @Hi-Fi Whipped. has done a lot of tweaking.  You can have 1 profile for movies and another for music.

1 hour ago, Playitloud said:

When i saw the NAD touchscreens used everywhere at the recent SNA expo, albeit on the M33, i was drawn to the beauty & modernisation that it brought. That thought train repeatedly brings me back to the T778. That being said, i really like the Arcam AVR20 but the additional cost and missing features just comfortably reverts me back to the NAD.

The M33 has caught my attention for its simplicity and something that I would consider if I was starting now.  Just add speakers and you have an excellent stereo setup.  However, i am on a different simple setup track; just add a steamer to Kii Three's!

New Arcam AVRs are costly but I was lucky to get a moderately priced used one. Agree that Arcam feature list is not as good. However, Arcam does sound a little better and multi channel power is higher.

• Thanks 1