Considering a projector

Hi, I'm considering a projector...again :)

Currently I have a 65" Sony Z9D LCD tv and it's great, however I feel like my movie experience would be so much better with a larger screen. There was a recent sale of the 83" Sony A90J OLED tv and it did make me consider it however I don't need a new tv at the moment and the projector idea keeps popping up into my head.

I sit about 3 metres from the tv and the screen would have to be a drop down from ceiling model. I have about 2.4m between the front speakers. Back wall to tv is about 4.5m.

Now, I don't have a dedicated theatre room, so it has windows at the front left corner plus I have 2 open doorways (no doors), one at the front right and one at the right rear of the room. We may install doors one day. So, it's definitely not an ideal room plus I will not be painting the ceiling any dark colours etc.

So with all this in mind would I be silly to still consider a projector or can it still work fine? It probably would get most use at night due to no light control besides basic blinds on the windows.

PXL_20220722_234241911.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget
Photo added

17 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Currently I have a 65" Sony Z9D LCD tv and it's great, however I feel like my movie experience would be so much better with a larger screen. There was a recent sale of the 83" Sony A90J OLED tv and it did make me consider it however I don't need a new tv at the moment and the projector idea keeps popping up into my head.

an 83" or larger TV is likely awkward in the room as would be wall mounting and going over the curtain on the left which would be a bit strange ? but thats your call on aesthetics and practicalities...

can certainly like me keep the 65" tv and drop a projector screen in front of it when need to...that ways can keep the 65" for day time and general viewing and then drop the screen for movies ...

19 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I sit about 3 metres from the tv and the screen would have to be a drop down from ceiling model. I have about 2.4m between the front speakers. Back wall to tv is about 4.5m.

the 65" is going to be for mixed usage ... for movies at a 40 deg recommendation for immersion a 100" would be bang on for screen size,

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

this will full resole for 1080p and give benefit for 4k...

24 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Now, I don't have a dedicated theatre room, so it has windows at the front left corner plus I have 2 open doorways (no doors), one at the front right and one at the right rear of the room. We may install doors one day. So, it's definitely not an ideal room plus I will not be painting the ceiling any dark colours etc.

plenty of folk run projectors in non dedicated rooms .. the more can do with the room the better..... but appreciate there are limitations ... 

unless only planing to use the projector at night.. i would look at still what can do with the room..

eg behind those curtains .. id mount some screen away 100" block out blinds..locally made and would be discrete and no one would know they are there.. till you pull them shut - you can get these motorised as well.. would give you a 100% block out ..

with the door ways .. can you mount a block out curtain on the inside for each and would discretely sit to the side when not in use ..just drag across to block out the light from adjoining room when want to use the projector ? ikea make some very affordable but good quality block out curtains can rig up in minutes... and would add more versatility to the room .. so can indeed watch movies etc during the day as well with the larger screen...

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/majgull-block-out-curtains-1-pair-grey-10417814/

minimum i would do..rest upto you in as far as what room and aesthetics would allow...

I do think a larger screen adds benefit it brings scale and a greater appreciation to match that of the audio side.. and see them as equally important ie 50% audio / 50% video to best enjoy the experience ...

• Like 1

Some great suggestions there thanks. Might just pass the WAF :)

I'd be looking at the mid range price point (Epson 9400 etc) .

If I do go down the projector route, I'd need a one stop shop to advise, supply and install. 

I only know of a handful that are relatively close to me.

Rio sound and vision (never been here)

Selby in Thornbury

Any others I should checkout?

thanks.

5 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Already had an argument over the curtains. She said it'll look like a brothel.

And the bordello look is a bad thing? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched Fury 4k for the first time, sounded awesome. Visuals don't match the audio for immersion though.

I did notice that my ME-550 amp did not light up it's op temp led.

Hope it's not having a problem.

With a room that white I think you might be disappointed with the  image of a projector; you will never realise it's full potential without significant light control. 

Edited by Satanica

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2022 at 12:28 PM, Mr_Gadget said:

Already had an argument over the curtains. She said it'll look like a brothel. She wants sliding barn doors.

Don't worry, it's not any better with a husband. Our "compromise" was that he could do what he wanted with the rest of the house, and I could do what I wanted with our theatre room as long as he liked it. 

• Haha 2