Table top tv stand

Hi, I'm toying with idea of getting a table top tv stand such (e.g. https://amzn.asia/d/1j3sgb8) so that I can place my centre speaker on top of my cabinet instead of on the shelf of the cabinet. 

A few things ii m not clear on.

1) how would I be able to work out if I can raise the mount high enough so that the bottom of the tv would clear the centre speaker?

2) Would the centre speaker be able to sit on top of the base of the mount?

3) would the tv be too high and look strange mounted this way?

Thanks.

I had the exact same issue. I purchased an aftermarket table top stand from Selby Accoustics. From memory i still had to make up a small bracket that gave me the height I needed, but it was not a hard thng to do. My centre speaker now sits in front of the TV and at perfect height, just up to the lower edge of the TV bezel.

https://www.selby.com.au/tv-brackets-stands/tv-stands/32-55-inch-tv-tabletop-stand-tts05.html

This is the exact one I used.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2022 at 11:45 PM, Mr_Gadget said:

1) how would I be able to work out if I can raise the mount high enough so that the bottom of the tv would clear the centre speaker?

Best you draw a diagram.

You need the distance between lower mount points of TV and bottom edge of TV. Using the maximum height of stand, and the lower mount point of stand, you can work out how much clearance underneath the TV.

2) Would the centre speaker be able to sit on top of the base of the mount?

Probably can but it does depend on the stand, weight of centre speaker and whether the speaker can sit flat.

3) would the tv be too high and look strange mounted this way?

It does depend on how high your cabinet is, height of speaker, size of TV and viewing distance.  Only you can decide whether it is acceptable.

-----

I have used Selby stands and mounts, and suggest you buy from them.  Plus you can ask them your questions.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 9:45 PM, Mr_Gadget said:

Hi, I'm toying with idea of getting a table top tv stand such (e.g. https://amzn.asia/d/1j3sgb8) so that I can place my centre speaker on top of my cabinet instead of on the shelf of the cabinet. 

Did exactly the same thing that you are contemplating with a FITUEYES tv stand as well.

Picture says a thousand words, this is with a large Focal CC800VW speaker...

DSCN0501.JPG

• Like 1

See the extra height i gained by adding to the Selby bracket height. I just grabbed a couple of angle brackets from bunnings, cut them at the bend and added the flats as shown. There is still another 50mm or so available at the bottom fixings on the bracket itself, but I could have done the same thing there if needed. Easy Peasy.

tv bracket.jpg

tv bracket1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

is that as high as the stand can go? I think my centre speaker is a little taller than yours (21cm)

Sorry for late reply, my centre speaker is 20cm tall and that is the highest point on the vesa mount which worked out fine in my case.

@Colbunko has a great solution to fix your problem, hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Colbunko said:

See the extra height i gained by adding to the Selby bracket height

Ah, that makes sense now :)

Still feels stable like that? 

how high is your centre speaker?

21 hours ago, STROP said:

FITUEYES

I see that this brand had an 85" model. This may be the best for giving me the clearance I need and possible future proofing when I change the tv.

Need to do some measuring to see how it'll work.

20 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Ah, that makes sense now :)

Still feels stable like that? 

how high is your centre speaker?

I see that this brand had an 85" model. This may be the best for giving me the clearance I need and possible future proofing when I change the tv.

Need to do some measuring to see how it'll work.

Yes. It feels stable enough, I can force the TV to go out of level if I press down firmly on either corner, but that is just a bit of movement in my new connection. If I used 2 connections to the Selby bracket, that may have reduced that a bit, but the TV doesnt move around normally so I am leaving it. My centre speaker is 145mm high. If you use a larger bracket, just check that the horizontal bars are narrower than your TV. It would look a bit shite if they protruded past each side.

On 16/07/2022 at 11:18 AM, Colbunko said:

I had the exact same issue. I purchased an aftermarket table top stand from Selby Accoustics. From memory i still had to make up a small bracket that gave me the height I needed, but it was not a hard thng to do. My centre speaker now sits in front of the TV and at perfect height, just up to the lower edge of the TV bezel.

https://www.selby.com.au/tv-brackets-stands/tv-stands/32-55-inch-tv-tabletop-stand-tts05.html

This is the exact one I used.

Hi @Colbunko that Selby table top stand looks exactly what I want for my Samsung UA43NU7100 UHD TV, screen size 108cms (diagonally)

Just a question does that Selby unit com with the screws to mount on the back of the TV?!?

Cheers...

As an experiment, I'll place my centre speaker on top of my cabinet and then the tv directly on top of the speaker. I've checked with the speaker manufacturer and it will handle the weight easily.

I don't think it'll be very aesthetically pleasing due to the unnecessary extra height of the original tv stand but it'll give me an idea of how it'll look and hopefully give me improvements in sound.

I did come across another stand from the Fitueyes brand that can support up to 80" but it's not available anymore and I still can't workout what the clearance would be for the speaker to fit 'on' the base.

https://www.amazon.com.au/FITUEYES-Universal-Tabletop-Adjustable-TT107003GB/dp/B01CORQRX0

1 hour ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Hi @Colbunko that Selby table top stand looks exactly what I want for my Samsung UA43NU7100 UHD TV, screen size 108cms (diagonally)

Just a question does that Selby unit com with the screws to mount on the back of the TV?!?

Cheers...

All Selby stands come with a full range of screws and brackets.

• Thanks 1

Just wondering whether you are better off with one of these?

UNHO Floor TV Stand with Bracket, Free Standing TV Trolley Height Adjustable TV Bracket Stand for 32”-100” Flat Panel LED LCD Screens Max VESA 800x400 up to Loading Weight 40KG 

https://amzn.asia/d/fZqIwjI

Put the stand just behind the cabinet.  It provides the height you need, without worrying about the centre speaker sitting on it.  And it caters for larger screens for the future. 

Note that most desktop stands limit the size of the screen, though in practice, they can easily take large screens.  The retailer does not want the liability of a larger screen falling on top of the kids!

P/s Have no experience with UNHO stands...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1658271682494653914360477990371.thumb.jpg.1c59844a085dd31914fbb3f6730c4ef9.jpgI may just leave it, I think the tv will look silly on-top of the speaker. 

Only issue is one day if I change centre speaker it'll be limited in size by my cabinet space.PXL_20220719_225143172.thumb.jpg.a3f81fc6bf60e6961d4659628876d227.jpgPXL_20220719_225157943.thumb.jpg.54fd3a063ae69aaf84aeb308d3fc69ba.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 2

Thats a high centre speaker! You almost certainly will have to add some extra height to the bracket you buy. If you call in or ring Selby and tell them the clearance you need and the size of your TV, they should be able to recommend a bracket with the highest setting. That way you will be able to use the smallest extra bracket, if needed. 

And as mentioned by others, I would consider tethering the TV to the wall or the cabinet, just so it cant topple forwards.

You wouldnt think about wall mounting? 

Most TV brackets have most of the correct screws and washers for most TV's. I have occasionally had to add large washers or cut down screws a bit. You should be fine, but its not always 100% that exactly what you need is in the kit.

Get a helper on the day as you will be mounting the TV a couple of times to make adjustments to your offset etc.

Let us know how you go.

On 22/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, Mr_Gadget said:

I can't wall mount because of the window and blinds.

Lol at the vase on the left subwoofer.

PXL_20220722_034944973.jpg

You can still wall mount, you just need one of the mounts that has a telegraph feature, ie you can pull it out from the wall and also angle and tilt. They are more expensive than the fixed mounts, ie around $250 +, vogel and sanus are two of the brands that make these., I have a sanus for my 77’ oled, it is a really good mount.

• Like 1

I appreciate the suggestion and it would work but my tv cabinet is a fair way off the wall so I'd have to have the tv further away from my seating position as it's currently close to a metre from the wall 

47 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I appreciate the suggestion and it would work but my tv cabinet is a fair way off the wall so I'd have to have the tv further away from my seating position as it's currently close to a metre from the wall 

hi mrG does it have to be a meter from the back wall ? if you wall mount you can with the articulated mount have it further back ? you probably only have it where it is now because of the cabinet ? if you were stand mounting it off the back of the cabinet ,or off the floor then you'd end up with the display back closer to the wall ie just behind the cabinet anyways  ? 

my 65" oled is about 300mm off back wall ...using a selby articulated mount :)

025A4922.thumb.JPG.33c3aed593401dcc9d0e2d1c95288f37.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It doesn't have to be that far off the wall but it will seem like I've downsized my tv if I do move it back.

I looked up the Sanus mounts and they have a model that allows 77 cm extension! After measuring, my tv is about 77cm from the back wall currently).

Not sure how trustworthy it would be having the tv extended that far but if it's sturdy at that extension then that maybe my solution, although they are expensive.

https://www.sanus.com/en_AU/products/tv-mounts/vxf730/

Edited by Mr_Gadget

5 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

It doesn't have to be that far off the wall but it will seem like I've downsized my tv if I do move it back.

even 300-400 mm back ? you are hardly going to notice ! surely jeepers ! 

5 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

looked up the Sanus mounts and they have a model that allows 77 cm extension! After measuring, my tv is about 77cm from the back wall currently).

mine woudlnt go that far.. but i would just have it about 300-400 off back wall and leave it there. ive got the full length of the centre chanel in front of the TV and its fine :) it looks like its floating off the wall :) pretty cool :) 

you dont have to go sanus .. id jsut get the selby one and get them to come install it .. its a pretty affordable thing.. mines seen through both my pioneer kuro and current 65". my pioneer kuro was a beast even heavier than current TV and sat there for 10 year no issue :) when see these articulated mounts will see they are very well made solid things :) also gives you the option that you can play around with depth off the wall.. not locked in ::) and height as well they allow some height with the slots on the back. 

ps this will definitely allow you too in moving your centre on top of your cabinet and then can have the TV floating just above and behind ...

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 1