LenehanAudio NEW Graph Magnesium Loudspeaker

Well Hello    Ya ALLLLL  ! Yup I'm still around , hope you remember me .

OK  looks as though we have a new loudspeaker design worth pursuing .It seems we have  found a low frequency driver which is superior to the  Peerless (carbon fibre filament synthetic paper) Nomex bass driver used in the ML1 and ML2 loudspeakers .

In the beginning of this design we had spent over 500 hours on the original  Magnesium Limited design which actually ended up as the very best loudspeaker I HAD EVER HEARD !!   Well wouldnt ya bloody know it !! seas decided to withdraw the driver from production ! why ?  they had some problems with corrosion of the untreated Magnesium diaphragm material .

OK so they released a new version which now has a Graphene coating to stop this corrosion problem . The new problem was though that the new driver had some new things to get around to make it do what the earlier raw Magnesium driver did .   Luckily Seas was willing to speak to me about this and it looks like we have got around these little annoyances.

So ok !!!!!!    how does it sound  ???   well indeed it is well ahead of the ML2 in many areas but still requires more tuning work on the Enclosure . 

In the beginning the ML1 actually took over 3000hours of design work over 3.5years to get dead right . The ML2 a lot less because of what was learnt from the very similar but smaller ML1 .

I'm going to include a pic of the initial prototype ( looks rough but remember that has nothing to do with the sound )

The new Graphene version has been very quick to get results from so far at 147hours .

This speaker will cost more than the ML2 as the Tweeter costs exactly double what the Scanspeak D2608 costs and the Bass driver !! GET READY  is  6.27 times the cost :(   yup you heard it right , the ML2 bass drivers were under $125 each ( Just remember this is not about more expensive is better ! It's about the very best possible component for a given task )  Before settling on the ML2 bass driver in the beginning I had tried  5 different drivers from Seas, Scanspeak etc which were much more expensive.

I can update more re the enclosure and Xover in following posts but I just though I'd get the message out there .    Talk Soon   Happy to answer any questions        Mike Lenehan

LenehanAudio

GraphMagLim  proto.JPG

• Like 13
  • Love 4

@Lenehan Audio

Hi Mike

Great to hear from you!

If it is better than the ML2 I cant wait to hearit. Covid and floods have us all hibernating, but I think it is time for a GTG. Don't worry about enclosures - would love to herar it, please.

When I saw Mike a couple of weeks ago the he was in early stages of working on the crossovers and just starting to listen / tune the new Graph Magnesium's. It was very interesting to hear a loudspeaker at that time in its development. What he told me on Tuesday when I saw him again about the progress after 147 hours of work really reinforced my understanding that delivering new design loudspeakers is about much more than initial design based on previous experience, as important as that is in the early stages. Fine tuning and getting the tiny details right is where much of the 'magic' comes from - getting all of the components, cabinets / drivers / crossovers to work synergistically together and deliver a 'whole that is greater than the sum of its parts' is a pursuit few tackle successfully. I very much look forward to hearing the Graph Magnesium's again.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Kirby66 said:

getting the tiny details right

I've never met anyone in my life with as much attention to detail. The "tiny details" are what keeps Mike awake at night (I imagine), and his unwavering approach to resolving those is what ultimately leads to loudspeakers that, in my own opinion, are some of a very select few available anywhere in the world that are not only accurate, but remain entirely musical at the same time. There's an emotion in the music conveyed in ML speakers that I find myself still hunting for with all other speakers and brands.

Now if only he'd finish the BIG one :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The worst thing about my ML5's is that they're so good I have no excuse to come and waste your time any more, Mike! Miss ya mate, glad to hear you're still kicking on. Fingers crossed for an actual GTG in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 12:28 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

Well Hello    Ya ALLLLL  ! Yup I'm still around , hope you remember me .

OK  looks as though we have a new loudspeaker design worth pursuing .It seems we have  found a low frequency driver which is superior to the  Peerless (carbon fibre filament synthetic paper) Nomex bass driver used in the ML1 and ML2 loudspeakers .

In the beginning of this design we had spent over 500 hours on the original  Magnesium Limited design which actually ended up as the very best loudspeaker I HAD EVER HEARD !!   Well wouldnt ya bloody know it !! seas decided to withdraw the driver from production ! why ?  they had some problems with corrosion of the untreated Magnesium diaphragm material .

OK so they released a new version which now has a Graphene coating to stop this corrosion problem . The new problem was though that the new driver had some new things to get around to make it do what the earlier raw Magnesium driver did .   Luckily Seas was willing to speak to me about this and it looks like we have got around these little annoyances.

So ok !!!!!!    how does it sound  ???   well indeed it is well ahead of the ML2 in many areas but still requires more tuning work on the Enclosure . 

In the beginning the ML1 actually took over 3000hours of design work over 3.5years to get dead right . The ML2 a lot less because of what was learnt from the very similar but smaller ML1 .

I'm going to include a pic of the initial prototype ( looks rough but remember that has nothing to do with the sound )

The new Graphene version has been very quick to get results from so far at 147hours .

This speaker will cost more than the ML2 as the Tweeter costs exactly double what the Scanspeak D2608 costs and the Bass driver !! GET READY  is  6.27 times the cost :(   yup you heard it right , the ML2 bass drivers were under $125 each ( Just remember this is not about more expensive is better ! It's about the very best possible component for a given task )  Before settling on the ML2 bass driver in the beginning I had tried  5 different drivers from Seas, Scanspeak etc which were much more expensive.

I can update more re the enclosure and Xover in following posts but I just though I'd get the message out there .    Talk Soon   Happy to answer any questions        Mike Lenehan

LenehanAudio

GraphMagLim  proto.JPG

Good to see your still into into it mike 

enjoy your journey 😉

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Once was an audiophile said:

enjoy your journey 😉

Welcome back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Once was an audiophile said:

before you ask i have no system as such,well pc and heaphones   looking for a usb dac for my pc  nothing more lol

That's okay, we only need your ears! 😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Once was an audiophile said:

enjoy your journey 😉

Oiii, bout time you showed back up. You still got my thongs? 😂

• Love 1