JVC DLA-NZ7 or Sony VPL-VW590ES or Epson EH-LS12000B

I am creating a home theater and thinking to get the projector, will have the light of the room controlled and very dark ...most likey will get 130" Accoustic transparent screen...

I am about choosing a projector and I am thinking of theses options : JVC DLA-NZ7 or Sony VPL-VW590ES or Epson EH-LS12000B

I know the prices are not similar but I appreciate if I can have your comments with and without considering the price differences  which one should I chose... I am coming from Plasma and OLED TVs so the deep blacks and  contrast are important to me... room size is 5.6 X 4.6m...

thanks in advance

On 14/5/2022 at 1:08 AM, Mason Safari said:

will have the light of the room controlled and very dark ...most likey will get 130" Accoustic transparent screen...

I am about choosing a projector and I am thinking of theses options : JVC DLA-NZ7 or Sony VPL-VW590ES or Epson EH-LS12000B

Nz7 would be the pick id suggest.. the epson next and sony last...

reasoning being .. the jvc will give you in our light controlled and dark room the best contrast benefit ... decent light output which will need with acoustic traparent and largish sized screeen. the other big thing you are getting with the JVC is dynamic tone mapping which dont get with the others. the epson next as very decent light out put for the screen ... which is a bonus even though not quite in the league of the jvc for contrast. it does have some sort of tone mapping even if not dynamic or in league of JVC, its better than nothing. the sony is terribly overpriced and always been. it is behind the others in light output, no dynamic tone mapping but sits in the middle between jvc and epson in contrast. it can achieve excellent results i do think but with a smaller screens and its a real shame has no form of dynamic tone mapping. 

what is stock like for these ? i though there were no jvc till july ? is the epson available now or in june ? is the sony available now ? 

regardless of choice.. id definitely suggest get a pro calibration to get the best from what ever decide on :)

On 14/5/2022 at 1:08 AM, Mason Safari said:

I am coming from Plasma and OLED TVs so the deep blacks and  contrast are important to me... room size is 5.6 X 4.6m...

am running a jvc n7 and sony oled in the same room..wont be disappointed :) 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

reasoning being .. the jvc will give you in our light controlled and dark room the best contrast benefit ... decent light output which will need with acoustic traparent and largish sized screeen. the other big thing you are getting with the JVC is dynamic tone mapping which dont get with the others. the epson next as very decent light out put for the screen ... which is a bonus even though not quite in the league of the jvc for contrast. it does have some sort of tone mapping even if not dynamic or in league of JVC, its better than nothing. the sony is terribly overpriced and always been. it is behind the others in light output, no dynamic tone mapping but sits in the middle between jvc and epson in contrast. it can achieve excellent results i do think but with a smaller screens and its a real shame has no form of dynamic tone mapping. 

what is stock like for these ? i though there were no jvc till july ? is the epson available now or in june ? is the sony available now ? 

regardless of choice.. id definitely suggest get a pro calibration to get the best from what ever decide on :)

Thanks betty  for the comment, really useful... I am more  about make decision on the JVC DLA-NZ7  ( need to sell few more things to get the differences fund) just need to ask 2 things :

-  I owned only EPSON EH-TW9400  ever and was happy with it but my room was not perfect and left it in the house when sold it , I had never any issue with rainbow effect ( not sure what  it is exactly) but I read EPSON has 3LCD technology which is prevented that effect... now not sure if there might be  any risk on the JVC to have this effect ?

- I did calculation and hopefully my room size is long enough for 130" screen for JVC DLA-NZ7 ? as attached I took the calculation screen, is the 431cm and 862m is min and max throw distance?, my room length is 5.6m , will it be enough?

Regards

Mason

Untitled-j.png

Edited by Mason Safari

22 minutes ago, Mason Safari said:

I had never any issue with rainbow effect ( not sure what  it is exactly) but I read EPSON has 3LCD technology which is prevented that effect... now not sure if there might be  any risk on the JVC to have this effect ?

no not possible to have rainbow effect on JVC or epson. the rainbow effect you see on DLP projector that only single panel and use a colour wheel. 

from what i can see your throw distance seems to fit, 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, betty boop said:

no not possible to have rainbow effect on JVC or epson. the rainbow effect you see on DLP projector that only single panel and use a colour wheel. 

from what i can see your throw distance seems to fit, 

Thanks Betty

Which acoustic transparent screen do you recommend for optimum Audio Visual performance?

11 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

Thanks betty  for the comment, really useful... I am more  about make decision on the JVC DLA-NZ7  ( need to sell few more things to get the differences fund) just need to ask 2 things :

-  I owned only EPSON EH-TW9400  ever and was happy with it but my room was not perfect and left it in the house when sold it , I had never any issue with rainbow effect ( not sure what  it is exactly) but I read EPSON has 3LCD technology which is prevented that effect... now not sure if there might be  any risk on the JVC to have this effect ?

- I did calculation and hopefully my room size is long enough for 130" screen for JVC DLA-NZ7 ? as attached I took the calculation screen, is the 431cm and 862m is min and max throw distance?, my room length is 5.6m , will it be enough?

Regards

Mason

Untitled-j.png

From memory 5.9m is enough to cover a 155inch screen so you should be safe with the 130inch screen. 

10 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

Thanks Betty

Which acoustic transparent screen do you recommend for optimum Audio Visual performance?

hi MS, there are many brands around ... top of pile stewart, there are local options like ohtheatre screens and also if wanting to DIY likes of seymour @muriwai can suggest on that... as will others who have gone various local and imported. important thing with AT screens is gain and how close can sit for screen size and whether thats gong to to impact on experince or not.

3 hours ago, overjp said:

@betty boop

And are there any reliability issues that might come into the equation, please, Betty ?

the epson is fairly new ... not heard of any reliability issues. the jvc is also newish in that they claim many years in nasa applications etc but from my understanding its still a new design (more compact  for consumer use. the sony has been around for years . not aware of any realibiltiy issues. 

as with all projects though.. do buy from a reputable and retailer know well and have a good relationship with ...after sales is key...projectors are delicate things and have been known to even arrive DOA - regardless of brands. and do fail as well in use (again regardless of brand). definitely dont just buy first dealer that comes up in google with lowest price. there are some sharks out there. also id stay away from eBay or grey importers... you want a retailer thats going to back you up and some to party if any issues down the track.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

-  I owned only EPSON EH-TW9400 

Mason

Untitled-j.png

Mason ; I could easily be reading more into this than is there but if price is a factor [ you saying a few things to sell] the 16k odd price vs the 9k for the epson is a factor . The epson has not quite the proficiency of the nz's DTM but is still good from what I read . Do you want 3d? if so the JVC is the one . As for contrast on/off the epson is better than your old  tw9400 

It is also a factor your paying for the nz7's dci p3 filter to enhance the hdr colour gamut vs the epson leaving this out and relying on its greater lumens to make the colours pop.. Do you want to sacrifice a % of lumens to get the higher colour gamut ?

Good luck with what you choose ' the sonys are about to be superceded afaik ; dont come close as said ..

Edited by cwt

5 hours ago, cwt said:

Mason ; I could easily be reading more into this than is there but if price is a factor [ you saying a few things to sell] the 16k odd price vs the 9k for the epson is a factor . The epson has not quite the proficiency of the nz's DTM but is still good from what I read . Do you want 3d? if so the JVC is the one . As for contrast on/off the epson is better than your old  tw9400 

It is also a factor your paying for the nz7's dci p3 filter to enhance the hdr colour gamut vs the epson leaving this out and relying on its greater lumens to make the colours pop.. Do you want to sacrifice a % of lumens to get the higher colour gamut ?

Good luck with what you choose ' the sonys are about to be superceded afaik ; dont come close as said ..

Thanks for the comment... well, I am sacrificing a lot, compromising a lot for the room I wanted to do things and I cant...so I want to get at least the best visual and also future proof...at least I will be using it most of nights... what is the new model for Sony BTW?

14 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

Thanks for the comment... well, I am sacrificing a lot, compromising a lot for the room I wanted to do things and I cant...so I want to get at least the best visual and also future proof...at least I will be using it most of nights... what is the new model for Sony BTW?

models plural ; much improved over the last gen :classic_smile:

Sony Launches Three New XW Series Laser Home Theater Projectors (projectorcentral.com)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

I think VPL-XW6000ES-B in only in my possible budget , is it laser ? How's compare to JVC Nz7?

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-XW6000ES-B.htm

all 3 new models are laser ' suggest you have a look at Als thread to get an idea 

We need to wait for some good reviews from the likes of Kris Deering etc to see how they stack up but they hit a much better price point than there predecessors 

its very nice the middle 6000 has the same video processor as the high priced gtz 380 .  lt remains to be seen how well the static hdr curve on the 6000 holds up against the frame by frame DTM of the JVC'S - which is more advanced  

On 17/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Mason Safari said:

rom few review 6000 seems very promising ... they have compared it directly with JVC NZ7 and it seems 6000 is ahead in most of areas:

ricky at kalibrate in UK provided good critique on this (he sells all three brands) ...and  this is a very shody comparison... basically was a out of box (they admit to this .. and when they said they only hand calibrated these .. they actually meant they didnt even calibrate these :D .. read the Q&A in the youtube. when  comparing projectors at this level and dont even attempt to match then for colour balance ! and they are so far out its obvious in the videos shown it leaves little credence to comparisons like this...

44 minutes ago, Mason Safari said:

its seems we dont have any ETA for new Sony series in Australia :( even JVC ETA is  August

thats why i asked earlier re availability :) 

• Like 1

I agree with calibration being required but I've noticed over the years that although calibrators all work to the same standards,  there  are differences in the way the calibration turns out amongst different calibrators.   Perhaps this is a little off topic but I  have wondered whether the differences come down to the equipment used or the personal taste of the calibrator. 

8 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

Thanks Betty 

yes, fair is both be professionally calibrated and then compared 

unfortunately with youtube... we have all sorts of reviewers now, but more professional ones are few and far between. the worst have seen was someone comparing a new projector with one that had many hours on high lamp to point the lamp likely very much on last legs... he didnt even take point to match the projectors for output and was raving how good the new projector was on YouTube when jeepers ofcourse its going to be better when comparing a projector pumping out light vs one that hardly is :D 

very few reviewers actually do what id call a professional calibration so you can have a proper comparison and do these things at this level any justice. likes of kris deering - technical writer for sound and vision magazine, Dylan Seeger at home theatre review in the US, locally with Tony from Clarity who reviews here and over in UK with the reviewers on AVforums. and Shartm with the Russian guys are some i can think off ...all these guys do take effort to make sure projector is delivering its best ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2022 at 4:41 PM, betty boop said:

Hi betty

I have decided to go with JVC NZ7 as cant wait for new Sony, we don't even have price yet and I suspect the 6000es will be more expensive than nz7 ,,, only think I am waorry is in few reviwes it was mentioned Nz7 can be very noisy and loud even watching normal movies ... do you anything about this?

• Like 1

On 27/5/2022 at 8:22 PM, Mason Safari said:

Hi betty

I have decided to go with JVC NZ7 as cant wait for new Sony, we don't even have price yet and I suspect the 6000es will be more expensive than nz7 ,,, only think I am waorry is in few reviwes it was mentioned Nz7 can be very noisy and loud even watching normal movies ... do you anything about this?

just comes down to screen size i suspect... any projector cranked to max power would be noisy ? I wouldnt expect an Nz7 pro calibrated would have any need to be running at max power ? 

• Like 1