Jump to content

AVP Recommendations


Recommended Posts

Hi Gang,

 

After a considerable hiatus, I'm back in the game and looking for an AVP. Budget is around $4k.

 

It'll be feeding an active system, balanced outputs are preferred. I'm replacing a Denon 3808a, so I consider myself a total dinosaur in such matters and really have NFI on current capabilities.

 

Wont be having Atmos, but I am intrigued about Auro-3d - front and rear heights are doable. 

 

Projector is an Epson TW9400, so don't need 8k etc

 

I'm not really fussed about room correction, they all seem to have one, I am sure it'll be adequate, noting I have external DSP for this anyway.

 

Options seem to be:

1. Marantz 7706

2. Marantz 8802

3. Denon AVR-X4700receiver (no balanced outputs, but I'm told lower noise?)

4. Anthem AVM60 (I think the 70 is a stretch too far price wise)

5. Monoprice one - expensive and not presently available, but seems the best option

6. Something else?

 

It wont be in a dedicated room, so I feel I'll be splitting hairs between them all in terms of sound quality. I don't know?

 

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


40 minutes ago, Hilltop Hippy said:

Wont be having Atmos, but I am intrigued about Auro-3d - front and rear heights are doable. 

If you intend to do Auro 3D, you can also do Atmos. Note that there is, by a long way, a lot more Atmos material..

 

40 minutes ago, Hilltop Hippy said:

I'm not really fussed about room correction, they all seem to have one, I am sure it'll be adequate, noting I have external DSP for this anyway.

Really all the same?  Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction do make a significant difference to SQ, especially in non dedicated rooms.

 

This is an old but still relevant article in this thread

 

Other options:

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/rotel-rsp-1576mkii-7-2-4-surround-av-processor.html

https://www.visionhifi.com.au/home-cinema/integra-drc-r1b-network-pre-amp-processor/pid-11

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/534687-emotiva-xmc-2-16-channel-processor-dts-x-and-dolby-atmos-with-dirac-live/

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @Snoopy8

 

I've done some more reading, looks like I can do some quassi Atmos set up that will be reasonable using very high mounted front and rear height speakers (I've got about 4m to play with). Means I need another amp, but not the end of the world.

 

I doubt I'll be using the room correction, maybe, but there will be a bunch of mini dsp flexes for the speakers, so I can add Dirac to those easily enough, which would probably be my option. Failing that, I can do it all manually with some effort.

 

Looks like Denon AVR might be the better option.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 12/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, Hilltop Hippy said:

After a considerable hiatus, I'm back in the game and looking for an AVP. Budget is around $4k.

there a av8805 i think in the classifieds for 4.5k I doubt do any better than that for the money  ... ?

 

On 12/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, Hilltop Hippy said:

Wont be having Atmos, but I am intrigued about Auro-3d - front and rear heights are doable. 

av8805 will do that...anthem wont. monoprice is not sold here in the options quoted :) 

 

4 hours ago, Hilltop Hippy said:

 

I've done some more reading, looks like I can do some quassi Atmos set up that will be reasonable using very high mounted front and rear height speakers (I've got about 4m to play with). Means I need another amp, but not the end of the world.

 

there are plenty ways to do heights to do atmos/dts-x/auro3D .. with denon and marantz they do indeed allow front and rear heights or above you(forward behind) placement isnt as critical as made out and it should be possible in most setups...

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...
To Top