What brand tv is the go to at the moment ?

Young woman across the road (Emma) has asked me to ask our great  community if you can recommend a good reliable  smart tv as her samsung has died after just 3 years. No Samsung for her anymore and of course Panasonics are no longer around ( would have  been  my suggestion)

I just haven't been keeping up with TVs 

Any suggestions will be passed on immediately to Emma.

Thanks and cheers

I did some research a couple of years back and decided on LG, I’ve recommended LG to family and friends and everyone has been very happy with the performance and reliability.

The choice may depend on price range for your neighbour though.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Young woman across the road (Emma) has asked me to ask our great  community if you can recommend a good reliable  smart tv as her samsung has died after just 3 years. No Samsung for her anymore and of course Panasonics are no longer around ( would have  been  my suggestion)

I just haven't been keeping up with TVs 

Any suggestions will be passed on immediately to Emma.

Thanks and cheers

Need a price point and size of TV to give any credible advise.

The manufacturers all have their 2022 model TV hitting the stores soon [Pending container availability] as this time of year is when they run out the previous years models [Actually you might of missed the boat there, most would have gone already I imagine]

It also depends if she expects the TV to last for donkeys years [Get a LED/LCD in that case] or is OK with a better picture to begin with that will gradually degrade over time [OLED - as it is based on a perishable technology ]

The LED/LCD TV's will for the most part be able to handle a room with a lot of ambient light in them better than OLED's, so that might be a factor to mention.

Stick with SONY / LG IMHO, I've never been a fan of Samsung, she's dismissed them as well, so end of story there.

Hisense have decent panels on their TV's but the software running it is rubbish, and the cause of many a unit being sent back, too much of a lottery with them.

I have no experience with the TCL brand, but people who have bought them on a UK based AV forum report they are OK for the price.

FFALCON brand TV's just seem far to cheap to be worthy of consideration......You do get what you pay for.

It seems SONY is having distribution / high demand for its 2022 TV's, only a few models have hit the stores in the USA to date, so the 2021 ones aren't being discounted in Australia ATM {they were for a while a month or so ago], but expect that to change very quickly when the 2022 models do hit, so she could get a bargain of sorts depending on how much stock is still available, so tell her to keep her eye out for that happening.......All the major retailers will price match anyway.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Thanks for all the replies  . I think a 55inch screen is what Emma wants, don't  think oled would come into her plans .

Thanks again for the feedback

SONY 2021 55" X90J 4K full array LED GOOGLE TV at JB for $1795

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sony-x90j-55-bravia-xr-full-array-led-4k-google-tv-2021

• Like 1

I've never enjoyed the image on a Samsung screen, the colours never seem right.  Never again for me either.  

2 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I just got given a Samsung 32"!.................it's in the garbage.............

• Like 1

I've always preferred Sony and LGs picture to Samsung's.  But for a 55" 4K LED TV and not caring too much about the controlling software, I'd go Hisense if bang for the buck is an issue.  And when isn't it?? :classic_huh:

Well JB has just announced it has the new 2022 LG TV's are in stock, so I expect the 2021 LG's will be advertised at discounted prices soon, depending what stock is left in the warehouses.

TBH I don't think there will be many, as retailers get notification of when new stock has arrived, so you'd need to be very quick and jump on any.

SONY's 2022 TV were always earmarked to arrive in MAY, so expect the same thing to happen with SONY 2021 TV's very soon

Edited by Tweaky

We are probably going to have to get a new 55 inch TV. Even though our Samsung has lasted about 7 years, I don't like the fact that the one connect box is now playing up and the promised upgrades just stopped after 2 or 3 years.

I am inclined towards Sony.

I saw a view which was critical of OLED because it would deteriorate over time.

I wondered whether this was a generally held view?

We like to buy a good TV and then not replace it for a long time, so this would discourage me.

TCL or Hisense if value for money is the aim.

I am amazed at how good our 55" TCL C727 is that we bought for <$1000 earlier this year. It's incredibly bright, has great colour depth and even has zoned local dimming. It's honestly not far off from the excellent picture our Sony X90F gives in the main lounge room.

Can't speak to reliability though, but it does come with 3yr warranty, same as Hisense.

The TCL C825 is a step up again, with a brighter panel, better sound (reportedly the built-in soundbar is fantastic) and even better local dimming. It also has a faster processor, which helps with navigating menus and running apps such as youtube/netflix/etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

TCL or Hisense if value for money is the aim.

I am amazed at how good our 55" TCL C727 is that we bought for <$1000 earlier this year. It's incredibly bright, has great colour depth and even has zoned local dimming. It's honestly not far off from the excellent picture our Sony X90F gives in the main lounge room.

Can't speak to reliability though, but it does come with 3yr warranty, same as Hisense.

The TCL C825 is a step up again, with a brighter panel, better sound (reportedly the built-in soundbar is fantastic) and even better local dimming. It also has a faster processor, which helps with navigating menus and running apps such as youtube/netflix/etc.

Although Panasonic TV's are sadly no longer sold in Australia, and haven't been sold in the USA for even longer, they were getting their own panels made in the Czech republic, but that is about to change with Panasonic choosing to source their TV panels from TCL from 2022 onwards.

I'm not sure quite what to think about that, either Panasonic think highly of the TCL panels and intend to give them the processing power and know how that their engineers can get out of a TV panels, keeping the brand in the more premium range, at least in Europe [Much like SONY does with TV panels sourced from LG and now Samsung ] or Panasonic are intending to go lower market.

• Like 1

Guest DrSK

No matter what you buy from the main brands, it's LG or Samsung anyway. And if you buy one of those two, you may end up with the other's panel anyway.

If you want the best picture for brighter rooms in 55" or 65" then you need QD-Display. OLED back-lit Quantum Dot. Not sure of you can get delivery yet. Sony or Samsung but Samsung panels either way.

If you want OLED, less bright you get LG, pick the brand whose processing you like the best. Personally I like Sony's processung better over LG with the same panel.

Or bright but less picture quality, then the becoming superceded Samsung QD-LED. 

Edited by DrSK

On 12/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, Orpheus said:

We are probably going to have to get a new 55 inch TV. Even though our Samsung has lasted about 7 years, I don't like the fact that the one connect box is now playing up and the promised upgrades just stopped after 2 or 3 years.

I am inclined towards Sony.

I saw a view which was critical of OLED because it would deteriorate over time.

I wondered whether this was a generally held view?

We like to buy a good TV and then not replace it for a long time, so this would discourage me.

We’ve had an LG oled for 5 years now with no problem with deteriorating picture quality. I have high hopes of it lasting for a good 10 years or more, technology will no doubt have got the better of it by then.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrSK said:

No matter what you buy from the main brands, it's LG or Samsung anyway. And if you buy one of those two, you may end up with the other's panel anyway.

If you want the best picture for brighter rooms in 55" or 65" then you need QD-Display. OLED back-lit Quantum Dot. Not sure of you can get delivery yet. Sony or Samsung but Samsung panels either way.

If you want OLED, less bright you get LG, pick the brand whose processing you like the best. Personally I like Sony's processung better over LG with the same panel.

Or bright but less picture quality, then the becoming superceded Samsung QD-LED. 

Darkish room, so brightness probably not an issue.