My Rotel RSP 1098 Preamp/Processor stopped working.

Yes unfortunately my Rotel RSP 1098 Pre/Processor has  been in storage for 3 years while I moved and built a new home ,but when I went to fire it up ...wont go off standby.Grrr!!!

It is/was matched with the RMB 1575 Amp and RCD 1072 CD player and a RDV 1050E Video Player,all of which work well as far as I know.

Its an old system which has served us really well till now, both for 2CH music and 5.1 Video.

The Repair Shop here in Canberra has had it since Dec  last year and can't get the parts needed...they tell me.

I see about this time last year two of these Processors sold here for around $250,which would be a grand solution,but they sold.

Obviously the processor doesn't have HDMI output,and to complicate things a little we've just brought a new Sony OLED 55 A80J.

The speakers we use especially for the 2CH MUSIC ARE SONUS FABER CREMONA AUDITOR..and a SF sub

I was hoping not to spend a fortune to rectify this dilemma ,since the working components are still lovely gear ....for what we need.

So, I'm after some advice on possible solutions.

Any advice would be greatly accepted.

If I purchased a new AV processor only with HDMI ,I could probably stretch to about 3K,but it would have to have good sound quality,because realistically 2CH music is more important than 5.1 Movies.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

I've had a quick look through the service manual for this processor. There are two relays that switch the unit from standby to operational mode.  There don't appear to be any parts which are Rotel specific involved in this.  Just generic parts.

Without further evidence I suspect they want to replace an entire board (which due to the age of the unit is probably no longer available as a spare part item) rather than diagnosing the problem down to component level.

Seems to be the norm these days in the industry.  :( 

Thanks Alan for the feedback.

Appreciate it.

Yes they are talking about a full board as the replacement part,which they are having trouble

sourcing.

Looks like I'll have to go to Plan B

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ring55 said:

Thanks Alan for the feedback.

Appreciate it.

Yes they are talking about a full board as the replacement part,which they are having trouble

sourcing.

Looks like I'll have to go to Plan B

Mike

Hi Mike,

The problem is not many service centres can diagnose or are prepared to find a simple fault to the component level.  This isn't a complicated circuit and the power board uses what we call in the industry "jellybean" or (in layperson's speak) generic off the shelf parts you can buy from almost any parts supplier.

IMHO it's a sad indictment on the industry that there is a proliferation of "board jockeys".  :(

I experienced this not that long ago when I responded to a Facebook marketplace advertisement. The advertiser was looking for someone to fix his guitar amplifier.  On chatting with the guy there surfaced a tale of woe where he told me he'd taken his amp to a number of repairers who told him his amp wasn't worth fixing.  A couple of minutes on the bench and it was a faulty standby power switch.  Geez, can't anyone diagnose a simple faulty switch these days?  :( 

The price we now pay for the disposable society we have become.  Mainstream consumer electronics has become so affordable we don't bother fixing even the simplest of fault, rather opting to outright replacement with the faulty appliance condemned to become verge collection.  This has driven the service industries into de-skilling techs into just swapping out boards until the device works.  

Hi Alan,

I hear your frustration...I feel it too in regard to this processor.

If indeed it is ,as you say, one or both of the relays which are faulty and there are 'jellybean" generic parts available, I would rather pursue this avenue than just scrap the whole unit.

I was looking through an old file of mine this morning and see that in Jan 2019 this same processor had 9x surface mounted capacitors on display board replaced to rectify poor display and poor volume encoder problems.

This was done by a clever electronics repair guy (not a board jockey)in Lismore Northern NSW....when we lived up there.

From my layman's perspective on all this,the Jan '19 repair seems to be as complex as the Standby/startup problem I am now having,but was easily fixed.

Sorry for the rant ,it is frustrating that I can't get this problem solved in a town the size of Canberra.

The real frustration comes from the fact that this appears to be a relatively simple fix,yet I am expected to scrap this unit and buy a new Rotel.

Irony is... I am currently rebuilding a 1956 Britstand Road Grader(built in Mascot,Sydney),and all the parts are readily available.

Mike

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No need to apologise Mike.  Customers who have faulty appliances (not just hi-fi gear) face similar problems all the time.  As I previously remarked, we are getting conditioned into the idea of simply accepting equipment is supposed to have a short lifetime no matter how expensive it might have been at the time of purchase. 

Some years ago I repaired my Sony TA-E9000ES pre-processor.  Simply stopped working, dead display etc.  On opening it up there was a cremated 0.1w surface mount resistor.  On further testing the failure of the resistor had taken out two transistors as well.  On tracing through the circuit on the service manual and comparing the voltages this poor tiny 0.1w resistor had been dissipating almost 1w of peak power.  I wondered how it had survived this long.  Anyhow the fix was simple.  A small modification to the PCB (after repairing the charred traces) and replacing the single SMD resistor with two 0.6w metal film resistors in series mounted slightly above the board and of course replacing the blown transistors fixed the problem permanently.  It goes to illustrate that even the engineers who design the better units can sometimes get it wrong.

I emailed Sony about this and their initial response was to suggest ordering a replacement PCB (hahaha - same design which will eventually result in the same problem).  Some 10 months later they released a service bulletin and a few months after that Sony service centres were able to order revised replacement boards.  The only difference was they had modified the trace layout to accommodate eight SMD resistors in series to spread the dissipation across eight devices. 

It's a pity you're in Canberra and I'm here in W.A. otherwise I'd be quite happy to repair your Rotel for you.  The cost issue is postage at around $80 or so to ship your unit via AusPost.  I hate seeing stuff end up as verge collection.

R124-upper.jpg

R124-under.jpg

Edited by Monkeyboi
typo

Well Alan I very much appreciate you offering to look at the processor for me.

However....

UPDATE...The repair shop phoned me last Friday to say that after all this time they have finally managed to get the part need from the Melbourne agent for ROTEL.

They say it will be installed this coming week,and by Friday,assuming there is nothing else wrong ,I will have the processor back.

Hmmm,well I hope so.

I will keep you posted of the outcome.

If that processor is working by next weekend,I'm buying a lottery ticket.

Thanks for your help and interest so far.

Mike