IGNORED

PS VR2 specs

Tweaky

Keen to find out what titles it supports and if there are exclusive games for it. That will demonstrate success I would think and will peak my interest for sure. 

• 1 month later...

Happy to see that it's 4k HDR and '120fps support'. It's obviously going to come down to how well they can tune it for the PS5 hardware but having that high fps provision is good. I've owned 3 different Oculus headsets including the latest quest 2 and the bottleneck always comes down to comfort and display image quality for me. Excited.

Posted (edited)

According to somebody in the know [ I suspect its somebody in the actual factory that will be making them], production of 1.5 million VR2 helmets will start in the second half of this year, and release will probably be the first quarter of 2023.

To me that seems like a LOT of headsets to make considering how long it took SONY to sell the same amount of the original, so either SONY has great faith in being able to sell that many, or it wants to make sure it has enough stock on hand to circumvent any possible production problems, like its had with the PS5.

It seems SONY wants to first make sure that it has enough varied VR games available at launch to show off the VR2 capabilities, hence the delay.

A VR Killzone game is also strongly rumored.

The fact that you won't need a external camera to use the new VR2 helmet will be the best feature for me.

Having to sit  dead centre and in front of the camera, and having the camera placed in a suitable position in the first place has been one of the most annoying factors of using the current VR helmet, I currently have to roll out a PC chair into the lounge room so I'm directly in front of the camera to use my VR helmet, and is the main reason mine gets very little use.

Needing all the extra cabling comes a close second.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

If you go to 16.45 of the video you will see some new features of the VR2 headset revealed.

Some great stuff that fixes annoying things when using the original VR helmet, especially "See through", which allows you to see your surrounding without having to take the VR helmet off [Like looking for your controller if you had put it down].

Also the PS5 is getting a 1440p update, which is of no use ATM, as no games support it, plus you'd need a TV that also supported in [Only 2022 Samsung QLED TV's do ATM ].

But at least there is some future proofing with the PS5 going ahead.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

I’m quite excited for PSVR2. Love my PS5, though unsure how great the experience will be from the PS5’s performance and maxing the headset, though hoping with their current move to porting games to PC that maybe the headset might be compatible.

a headset usable on pc and ps5 would be a winner!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, Tweaky said:

According to somebody in the know [ I suspect its somebody in the actual factory that will be making them], production of 1.5 million VR2 helmets will start in the second half of this year, and release will probably be the first quarter of 2023.

To me that seems like a LOT of headsets to make considering how long it took SONY to sell the same amount of the original, so either SONY has great faith in being able to sell that many, or it wants to make sure it has enough stock on hand to circumvent any possible production problems, like its had with the PS5.

It seems SONY wants to first make sure that it has enough varied VR games available at launch to show off the VR2 capabilities, hence the delay.

A VR Killzone game is also strongly rumored.

The fact that you won't need a external camera to use the new VR2 helmet will be the best feature for me.

Having to sit  dead centre and in front of the camera, and having the camera placed in a suitable position in the first place has been one of the most annoying factors of using the current VR helmet, I currently have to roll out a PC chair into the lounge room so I'm directly in front of the camera to use my VR helmet, and is the main reason mine gets very little use.

Needing all the extra cabling comes a close second.

Totally agree. My PS VR has gotten far less use than I like, but because of the factors you mentioned, it's more of a chore to play, and even the integral nature of VR being often a fully physical experience, adds to that chore feeling. It's the sort of thing I can only handle in small doses. Last game I played on there was Creed, which is a good workout! That's one of the advantages, the fun workouts you can do, that are really just games, but when you have to wear a cumbersome helmet and have all the connections and camera.. pfft forget it.

VR 2 is looking awesome. Imagine being able to crush steel with your bare hands? It sounds like it's virtually possible with the new controllers.

• 4 weeks later...

Just chiming in happily

- PSVR2 seems to target lower frame rates than advertised max. One blogger explained a bluriness in motion and the rep told him it was frame-doubling to 120fps. I had hoped this time round we’d still have AAA titles and high frame rate. 
- Tetris Effect VR was a profound gaming experience for me and not having it compatible with PSVR2 is a loss

- unclear upgrade path if at all makes my ‘investment’ in PSN VR titles feel a waste. I accept the technological upgrade is night and day but I do have a few hundred bucks worth of games not being used. 

I sold my PSVR set to a friend thinking version 2 would be the best thing to move on to. Wish me luck that Tetris Effect VR is ported over and I’ll be a bit happier haha.