Good Atmos music

Introduction

Good Atmos music is not easy to find. Like movies, music should be mixed for Atmos, an expensive and time consuming process. Unfortunately, much of the Atmos music on streaming services were processed on the cheap with DSP, and have proven disappointing.   However, if you try the following albums, some on streaming, you will appreciate the potential of Atmos for music.  

Atmos Blu Ray albums

image.thumb.png.3cacf6d4a3ea3f04eb0c5378dfbf25ea.png

Electronica and Atmos go well together. Kraftwerk: 3D The Catalogue , Yello: Point, Booka Shade: Dear Future Self and Air: 10,000 Hz Legend all use Atmos to delight people with active use of the height channels. Yello was praised in this thread

image.thumb.png.f6db255aee4467485644f4e4029b0ed1.png

For more conventional music, give Loreena MCKennitt: The Visit a try. It is a good example where the music is mixed for all channels.  In the Choir of Kng’s College: 1615 Gabrielli in Venice, some of the choir were placed on a high platform.  Steven Wilson is well known for producing excellent multi channel music and this Atmos album, The Future Bites, makes use of the height speakers. Steven also re-mastered Gentle Giant: Free Hand, which is well rated. While the music in Roger Waters: The Wall was front centric, there were effects such as overhead aircraft.

image.thumb.png.74ae549927aad05cdd03492fa8074ece.png

2L recordings are excellent, with instruments placed around a listener. Atmos is used to enhance the feel of the recording venue. For example, you can hear the saxophone soar within the cathedral in Nidarosdomens jentekor: Lux (Grammy Award winner). Hoff Ensemble: Polarity (probably the worse ever album cover!) and TrondheimSolistene: Reflections and are other 2L Atmos examples.

image.png.f3f2ee0e0b7d26824799ad686eb9dfc1.png

Pineapple Thief: The Future Bites is an excellent multi channel album, with Atmos used to enlarge the sound stage. Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague is an example of a concert with some instruments mixed in the rear channels and Atmos used to create a better soundstage.  You can argue that DG Atmos albums such as John Williams: Live in Vienna are not much better than DSP effects, but the recording is well done, and Atmos was used to enhance the feel of the venue and created a larger sound stage, with better reverb.

Streaming

Atmos on music streaming has been largely disappointing.  However, Disney + is one movie service that provides decent Atmos music.

image.png.0ab1842ab126a35404dfbdc652419101.png

Hamilton is an excellent example of how Atmos can be used to re-create the atmosphere of a theatre with enveloping sound and music. It was an impressive and enjoyable experience which placed the listener in the stalls, audience behind and above. Billie Ellish: Happier than ever and Taylor Swift: Folklore also used Atmos to enhance the sound stage.  Bille Elish used the surround channels more.

Not sure how many people know this , but  streaming uses Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) for Atmos. According to Dolby, DD+ Atmos audio is typically encoded at bitrates between 384 and 768 kbps. In contrast, Atmos with Dolby TrueHD on a Blu Ray disk gives the best SQ, with bitrates averaging around 6,000 kbps for Dolby Atmos at 48 kH. While it may not be obvious with movies, you can hear the difference with music using Dolby TrueHD. It produces a much cleaner and more detailed sound than DD+. 

To date, have not found any Atmos music on Amazon Prime; do not have Amazon Music unlimited.  If you know of other streaming services with good Atmos music, please post

More Atmos music

QuadrophonicQuad (QQ) is primarily for multi channel music.  However, there are a few more Atmos albums in the QQ surround poll that you may also consider.

image.thumb.png.94d3b58b120bc85ff6d17707bfd2d3e8.png

Most scores do reflect the Atmos SQ, but some people do not have an Atmos setup and voted based on multi channel music SQ. To get a more complete picture, please review the posts behind the poll. Also, please note that some albums have only a few votes.

There is also a QQ Atmos thread.  Occasionally, Atmos topics appear on other forums, but have yet to find dedicated threads like this.

Conclusion

Atmos has changed how music is presented. Atmos can be used actively to take advantage of all the channels or subtly to reproduce the recording location. Please post if you know of other good Atmos music.

p/s music = music albums and recordings of concerts, shows; musical movies not included.

Edited by Snoopy8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...
42 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Porcupine Tree's latest release about to be launched with Dolby Atmos.....unfortuneatly it looks like you need to but it in a bundle with the CD for about 50 quid from the UK!!

Unfortunately, most multi channel and Atmos albums are not cheap.  I paid 32 quid for the latest xPropaganda Atmos release of The Heart is Strange.  Thank you @cafe67.

it is not at the high point (pun intended!) of Yello: Point but decent.  QQ rates it at about 9.5 based on 11 votes.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/xpropaganda-the-heart-is-strange-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.32461/

1 minute ago, cafe67 said:

@Snoopy8

glad you like it , I’m still waiting on my Copy (cd) to arrive. Hopefully this week 

What!  CD only?? :cry::classic_tongue:.  Mine took 2 weeks despite the so called express shipping.  😠 

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

What!  CD only?? :cry::classic_tongue:.  Mine took 2 weeks despite the so called express shipping.  😠 

I don’t have HT , so cd or records for me 😎

do you have their old/ first/ only album - a secret wish ? 

30 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

do you have their old/ first/ only album - a secret wish ? 

Sorry, no. Electronica is not a genre I listen to, but I now have been introduced via Atmos.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Sorry, no. Electronica is not a genre I listen to, but I now have been introduced via Atmos.

If you can find it on streaming service , it’s worth a listen 

I was extremely disappointed with Dolby Atmos music on Apple Music in the first few months but recently the quality and quantity has improved immensely. I now get very excited pretty much every day now as more and more music gets released.

The negative is that it’s hard to find so this forum and thread is a must.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/listening-to-in-dolby-atmos-streaming-via-tidal-apple.31491/

recent highlights are Bowies Space Oddity, the complete George Michael catalog, Beach Boys latest compilation.

For the cost of an Apple TV 4K and $11 a month it’s definitely a win.

Tears For Fears - Tipping Point is pure reference Dolby Atmos.

I have compared the Apple Music version to the the physical disc bluray and in this case I actually prefer the Apple Music version. There were occasions where I jumped up because I thought someone was in the house while I was alone.96F434EA-BD43-4F8A-AEB1-4B90B2F6FC7D.thumb.jpeg.5ca937824756c0940e55606137a2db53.jpeg

• Like 2

On 21/06/2022 at 6:55 PM, powerav said:

Tears For Fears - Tipping Point is pure reference Dolby Atmos.

I have compared the Apple Music version to the the physical disc bluray and in this case I actually prefer the Apple Music version. There were occasions where I jumped up because I thought someone was in the house while I was alone.96F434EA-BD43-4F8A-AEB1-4B90B2F6FC7D.thumb.jpeg.5ca937824756c0940e55606137a2db53.jpeg

Interesting.  I would have expected the same release to be used but streaming, using DD+ would be at a lower bit rate than the Dolby TrueHD.  So, in theory, Atmos music streaming will not sound as good, and my own comparisons with audio concerts confirm this.

Clearly, Apple have done something different in this case.  Apple have licensed for Dolby Atmos but surely it is the same technology? Or did Apple add something? It is more likely to be a different mix, but it is not cheap to do one?

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Clearly, Apple have done something different in this case.  Apple have licensed for Dolby Atmos but surely it is the same technology? Or did Apple add something? It is more likely to be a different mix, but it is not cheap to do one?

I will be the first to admit that Dolby Atmos on Apple Music in approx the first 6 months was terrible, I really gave up on it, sounded so flat and lifeless but they have done something as it improved immensely and with more and more titles being released I would say that yes Apple have done something to improve it, no idea what though.

• Like 1

Here is a comment to my post on quadraphonicquad.com

I’m sure this album has been posted before but this is how great Dolby Atmos can sound streaming. I’ve compared it to the physical bluray and I actually prefer the Apple Music version.
music.apple.com

The Tipping Point by Tears for Fears

Album · 2022 · 10 Songs
music.apple.com music.apple.com

I won't disagree with that statement, though it may be a volume thing. I found the disc version has to be cranked way up compared to the Apple Music version. But once there, I think the disc is a bit more discrete, though the AM version is really top notch. I found the 5.1 mix on the disc to be way hot. I would have been more than happy with Apple Music's take, but it's very nice to own this album.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AusMakka said:

I have been considering upgrading my home theatre for Atmos, but never considered it for music. Something to consider for the future.

If you want to play multi channel music, suggest you have all tonally matching speakers. Better still, the same brand.  While it does not matter with movies, tonally matched speakers do make a difference, especially for 5 ground level speakers. 

• Like 1

My main speakers are only Accusounds so not the most expensive going around but I do have a Klipsch centre speaker so not all the same brand. But if I plan to eventually upgrade then new speakers will be on the cards. I've come to this forum to learn more before rebuilding my cinema/sound system.

32 minutes ago, AusMakka said:

My main speakers are only Accusounds so not the most expensive going around but I do have a Klipsch centre speaker so not all the same brand. But if I plan to eventually upgrade then new speakers will be on the cards. I've come to this forum to learn more before rebuilding my cinema/sound system.

The speakers do not have to be the same brand as long as they are tonally matched (sounds the same,). 

As for being expensive, I had 3 SGR Actives (very expensive) for the fronts and 2 Monitor Audio Apex passives for the rears.  I then changed to 5 MA Apex and multi channel music sounded better even though it was many times cheaper.  My ceilings are also MAs.  As long as the speakers are decent and tonally matched, that is all that matters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

The speakers do not have to be the same brand as long as they are tonally matched (sounds the same,). 

As for being expensive, I had 3 SGR Actives (very expensive) for the fronts and 2 Monitor Audio Apex passives for the rears.  I then changed to 5 MA Apex and multi channel music sounded better even though it was many times cheaper.  My ceilings are also MAs.  As long as the speakers are decent and tonally matched, that is all that matters.

Thanks for the info! :thumb:

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 4:38 PM, Snoopy8 said:

image.thumb.png.74ae549927aad05cdd03492fa8074ece.png

2L recordings are excellent, with instruments placed around a listener. Atmos is used to enhance the feel of the recording venue. For example, you can hear the saxophone soar within the cathedral in Nidarosdomens jentekor: Lux (Grammy Award winner).

Holy Mother of Dog... 

I am a Prog Rock sort of guy and if you told me that I would get all emotional over Norwegian Choir music I would have told you to get nicked.. 

Well, I got all emotional over Norwegian Choir music.  Full body chills. 

That Nidarosdomens jentekor: Lux is simply Devine, I don't think I have ever heard anything like it, their voices and that saxophone! The air going through the reed and the ambience of the venue. 

He is the clincher, for me on Apple Music on Apple TV 4K, it's only lossless, not Atmos (my AVP shows it as 2ch too, everything else comes up as trueHD) 

But it was 3D, I had to get up and put my ear to my rear channels to make sure they weren't producing sound. 

I think because of the gaps between sounds I was hearing the reverb from my back wall, but I haven’t ever heard 2ch in my house so holographic. 

My Dolby up mixer did a great job in turning it into 5.1 which I never do. 

So glad I've put in the effort and money into a matched 5.1 music system, No Atmos... Yet. 

Thanks Snoopy for this thread 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hytram said:

He is the clincher, for me on Apple Music on Apple TV 4K, it's only lossless, not Atmos (my AVP shows it as 2ch too, everything else comes up as trueHD) 

But it was 3D, I had to get up and put my ear to my rear channels to make sure they weren't producing sound. 

I have the same experience with 2 channel lossless music on Apple TV, some music can sound 3D and i constantly check that my AVR is not on the dolby upmixer .

One day audiophiles will  come to realise just how awesome Apple Tv and Apple Lossless music really is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...