Best match Yamaha A-S series amp for B&W 707 S2

Kpt

I'm gradually upgrading my system step by step and having started with the B&W speakers, am now looking at  getting a more suitable amp to run them (not looking at separates).
I'm currently running an AT turntable with AT-VM95E cart, Yamaha A-S300 integrated amp (NOS) into B&W 707 S2 speakers. I'm looking at upgrading one or two levels in the Yamaha A-S range i.e. 701/1100/1200 to get the best out of the speakers. Small-ish 5m x 4m room in an apartment so not looking to raise the roof but I do want good listening at low levels. Usage is about at 95% vinyl (jazz, pop/rock) and the rest streaming Tidal via Chromecast so not worried about DAC etc.
On specs alone it seems the A-S701 should be adequate and are certainly more affordable, but the B&W aren't the easiest to drive @ 84db and the next level up A-S1xxx models are very, very tempting. I'm happy to start with the 701 and then upgrade to the 1200 in a couple of years, or see if I can pick up a well priced 1100 now if possible. I'm open to new or used, depending on condition and price of course, with the main consideration being getting the best out of the B&W. I'll upgrade the cart then the TT at later stages.
To be clear, I am NOT considering any other brand. I know there are as many opinions as brands but I'm a sucker for the Yamaha aesthetics so apologies to the purists out there :) Any advice is welcome.

Edited by Kpt

Have recently read some outstanding reviews for the AS-1100, if you see one second hand jump on it, could be and end game for some time. Have not used Yamaha for over 40yrs but have fond memories of how good the products were even back then. I recently bought my end game amp second hand, spent nearly half the purchase price having it serviced and recapped, could not be happier.

I've been haunting the various on-line market places for several weeks looking for the 1100 but no luck so far. New Yamaha amps are out of stock almost everywhere atm with delivery from overseas not expected until February last I heard. I'm hoping this will prompt some  1100 owners to upgrade and let a few filter into the market.  Given room and noise constraints it (or the 1200) are  pretty much my last upgrade (hah) so I'm willing to wait. That's why I'm considering the 701 as an interim. I have  a beautiful Yamaha CA-410 I found in immaculate condition, but it just didn't have the power the  707 S2s needed so I bought the A-S300  (NOS, had never even been unwrapped). It is a great  amp, and the extra 35w/ch made a hell of a difference, but it still cant provide what the speakers can give.   Will sell both the of them to part cover a new amp but it will hurt getting rid of the 410. 

Maybe a finder's fee would help :)

Edited by Kpt

The Yamaha 1100 would be a good choice, depending how old amps you are OK with and if it can drive the speakers there others to look out for like Musical Fidelity A3.2 and others, Roksan Kandy, older Copland etc with an audiophile leaning sound quality and not the too smoothy sound (boring) brigade. Example, review list of options to consider some in your price range https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware-integrated-amps?page=1 or look for similar review lists in your range.

The Yamaha 1000 comes up as well for around $800-1000.

Some used pre amp and power amp combos like Audiolab 8000 series are also possible.

Another shortlist here https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/325588-sna-amplifiers-and-preamps-audition-shortlist/

Edited by Al.M

Thanks AI.M. I'm ok with older amps; the 1100 is very well made in the first place.  Also as much as I appreciate quality, at the moment  I'm not willing to drop over $2,500 on something that might only  give marginal improvement over an already very good amp. My hearing is a bit sus and I think I'd run into the law of diminishing returns.

I've also looked  at the 1000 but the comparisons I've been able to find all point to the 1100 being superior. And I have to admit while my head knows  the VU Meters are purely decorative, I swear the music sounds better with that soft warm glow in the background. They just look so damn good. I prefer the Yamaha slightly brighter characteristics but I'll have a look at your other recommendations as well thanks. 

Edited by Kpt

• 2 weeks later...

An update to say I ended up getting  an A-S1000 in great condition and and very happy with the purchase. I was going to wait for new stock to arrive in Australia and purchase a new A-S701, but jumped on the  1000 when it came up.  On a side note it came from Melbourne (I'm in Brisbane) and  was originally offered on Gumtree. I was tempted but passed  because of  the lack of any buyer protection. TBH Gumtree is cash on pick up only. However it was later listed on Ebay  and I purchased from there.  Was exactly as described, very well packed and arrived in two days. 

Overall the upgrade has been worth it and the amp really shows what the  B&W can do. I guess I can live without VU meters for now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a little late, but this was something in my experience. The Yamaha AS xxxx amps are excellent amp-very quiet background. Fantastic for high sensitivity loudspeakers. With a lowish 84dbl/m type, I think a 200watts per channel amp would be more appropriate.

I agree the speakers may perform better with more power, but realistically I'm running into the law of diminishing returns; how much of an improvement will I get, and how much difference I could actually hear given my less than perfect hearing? The 1000 is making the B&W sing and, until I can afford a 1200/2000, etc. will remain with me for a while to come.