Does anyone game on high end dacs?

this might be an insanely dumb question, but currently I'm using a chord qutest & thinking of upgrading to a yggdrasil or a terminator, but being that I use the qutest for everything coming audio wise from my computer, movies, music but most importantly gaming, my question, is there a delay in the sound when it comes to higher end dacs because of the buffers? because I would like to play counter strike through the terminator etc

49 minutes ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

this might be an insanely dumb question, but currently I'm using a chord qutest & thinking of upgrading to a yggdrasil or a terminator, but being that I use the qutest for everything coming audio wise from my computer, movies, music but most importantly gaming, my question, is there a delay in the sound when it comes to higher end dacs because of the buffers? because I would like to play counter strike through the terminator etc

Not that I have ever noticed

I think I read that denafrips dacs might have a delay. I will see if I can find it.

The article I think was surprised with that too and it changes every time you turn it on or switch inputs I think.

Edited by rocky500

3 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

I’ve got a EMM labs DAC2x available if you’re interested.

Ha i was looking at that on gumtree last night actually, thinking that 10k is a little out of my price range but it does look nice! 

so no one’s had any issue gaming with the yggy or terminator? I love my ranked counter strike so i can’t use something with a delay 

Edited by nopoweradeinusa

26 minutes ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

Ha i was looking at that on gumtree last night actually, thinking that 10k is a little out of my price range but it does look nice! 

so no one’s had any issue gaming with the yggy or terminator? I love my rabies counter strike so i can’t use something with a delay 

You may be the first gamer in history to use a $4K dac for gaming! 😀😀

Still, there are people on this forum who probably know the answer to your query, but possibly didnt click past the topic heading.

@davewantsmoore might know?

The MSB DACs have a "video" mode which gets rid of any lag, and I used mine to play Skyward Sword on my projector setup. Unfortunately I didn't have my Select yet, but that means I did play it on a $70,000 Reference DAC.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

so no one’s had any issue gaming with the yggy or terminator? I love my ranked counter strike so i can’t use something with a delay 

The delay is typically tiny, on the order of 1ms.

If it is significantly longer than that ... then the manufacturer will know, and very likely publish, it.    Ask them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

leaning towards the yggdrasil less is more lately, where would I find the information about the delay?

Guess u'd have to email Schitt.

But is 1ms actually a concern?

Or just save up a bit more for an MSB?😁

Edited by tripitaka

49 minutes ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

leaning towards the yggdrasil less is more lately, where would I find the information about the delay?

Most manufacturers don't publish anything at all. Unless you can find someone with experience with the DAC itself, you're taking a stab in the dark. It is actually quite rare for DACs to have huge buffers; MSB is quite a dramatic exception. The only other example I know of with a big lag is Chord's Mscaler (not the DACs per se) as it adds up to 600ms of latency because of the length of its upsampling filter. Most DACs oversample and don't have huge buffers though (upsampling leads to latency, oversampling usually doesn't.)

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Most manufacturers don't publish anything at all. Unless you can find someone with experience with the DAC itself, you're taking a stab in the dark. It is actually quite rare for DACs to have huge buffers; MSB is quite a dramatic exception. The only other example I know of with a big lag is Chord's Mscaler (not the DACs per se) as it adds up to 600ms of latency because of the length of its upsampling filter. Most DACs oversample and don't have huge buffers though (upsampling leads to latency, oversampling usually doesn't.)

appreciate the insight con, think i'm heading towards  the yggy less is more option, I emailed dacman about the terminator & he said a customer told him the denafrips ares wasn't great for gaming

1 minute ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

appreciate the insight con, think i'm heading towards  the yggy less is more option, I emailed dacman about the terminator & he said a customer told him the denafrips ares wasn't great for gaming

Personally I think the Yggy is overpriced by today's standards, things have changed dramatically, but your experience with the DAC itself could easily override any generic recommendation from me (and should).

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Personally I think the Yggy is overpriced by today's standards, things have changed dramatically, but your experience with the DAC itself could easily override any generic recommendation from me (and should).

what direction would you push me in? we're both using omni directional speakers it seems while mine are a lot less impressive (duevel venus)

1 hour ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

where would I find the information about the delay?

If it's significant, it will be published.

Otherwise the manufacturer will know.... ask them.

It will be unusual for it not to be very very small, in the order of 1ms.

7 minutes ago, nopoweradeinusa said:

what direction would you push me in? we're both using omni directional speakers it seems while mine are a lot less impressive (duevel venus)

I find the Yggy cold. I'm very biased but I would be leaning towards newer R2R offerings such as metrum, holo audio, or denafrips. Sure they don't measure as well but who cares about measurements when all DACs' performance are allegedly below the threshold of hearing... As always I urge you to audition if possible.

• Like 1

@Christian :  So your looking for a great DAC for music/movies and gaming needing very low nil latency and your looking for an R2R based DAC?

The problem with newer discrete R2R DACs is they do internal DSP with predictable latency which is unknown for most models. Ignore any propaganda about low latency USB models. Its the internal processing that matters. Denafrips is particularly affected.

Heres an option for you. See if you can borrow or  score an older Audio-GD with multiple PCM1704UK (totally avoid the non-PCM1704 models)  that has discrete power supplies and the ability to turn off the DSP to run it in NOS mode.  Near zero latency is guaranteed with DSP's bypassed inside he DAC.  Then set up oversampling on your PC with low latency filters . You should get  great timbe for music, great imaging for gaming, good details but not fatiguing with the HD800s.  Dont get fooled by the lower cost or age into assuming the sound is inferior compared to the modern discrete R2R models.

The other option would be  a PDX PCM1704 and there's a guru in Brisbane ...

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 10:14 PM, Nada said:

The problem with newer discrete R2R DACs is they do internal DSP with predictable latency which is unknown for most models. Ignore any propaganda about low latency USB models. Its the internal processing that matters. Denafrips is particularly affected.

What internal DSP are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

What internal DSP are you talking about?

The designers dont seem to share DSP details often and Im not an engineer so Im only guessing. But the discrete resistor ladder R2R DACs will need to  do bespoke digital processing stuff for their bespoke R2R to run. That might include PLL, bit segmentation,  ladder error feedback correction, filters etc.   Who knows what the delay is until someone measures it?  Listening to music it doesn't matter.