iiNot

I guess a few other peeps have found their iiNet not working for the past 30hrs or so.

I thought it might have been due to the stolen subsea cable mentioned on another thread, but apparently the hot weather is too blame?? 🤔

Sounds like horsefeathers to me...any techos out there who can explain..?

Cheers

2B

26 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

I guess a few other peeps have found their iiNet not working for the past 30hrs or so.

I thought it might have been due to the stolen subsea cable mentioned on another thread, but apparently the hot weather is too blame?? 🤔

Sounds like horsefeathers to me...any techos out there who can explain..?

Cheers

2B

Crikey, it has been extremely hot Ticcus.....😡🤯😤

iiNet not working?  I'm with iiNet and my internet access has been ok, but their email server appears to have gone offline sometime yesterday evening. Currently not accepting my credentials, so not sure what is going on. Problem exists when I try to connect with Thunderbird, and also via webmail, so appears to be something still amiss. Will check again tomorrow, then maybe call their help line.

I last sent an email successfully around 4:30pm SA time yesterday, but wasn't working when I tried again later in the evening.

4 minutes ago, emesbee said:

iiNet not working?  I'm with iiNet and my internet access has been ok, but their email server appears to have gone offline sometime yesterday evening. Currently not accepting my credentials, so not sure what is going on. Problem exists when I try to connect with Thunderbird, and also via webmail, so appears to be something still amiss. Will check again tomorrow, then maybe call their help line.

I last sent an email successfully around 4:30pm SA time yesterday, but wasn't working when I tried again later in the evening.

I received some iinet emails using Thunderbird.  I also just sent one.    It will take a while to catch up.

The reason internet access remained OK is because that is through NBN.  Only iinet servers were affected.  Their web pages were down as well as the email.

19 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I received some iinet emails using Thunderbird.  I also just sent one.    It will take a while to catch up.

The reason internet access remained OK is because that is through NBN.  Only iinet servers were affected.  Their web pages were down as well as the email.

Yes, I couldn't log on to their toolbox either.

The Perth metro area and parts of WA are currently experiencing a heatwave and serious bushfires.

iiNet is now back on line with email, webmail and hosted domains working.

I can't be sure of the exact cause of the outage, but the primary DNS was unaffected except for a slower than usual IP resolution.
I can only suspect that if it was an air-conditioning system cooling failure and the decision to possibly switch off these servers was in the interest of retaining data integrity rather than risk losing it it all in a catastrophic equipment failure.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I thought things were back to normal re emails, now I'm not so sure. I'm not getting errors any more, but email delivery seems to be glacially slow.

I did a loop back test this morning (ie: sent an email to myself), it took 4 hours to arrive. I also sent an email to my PC from my mobile phone around mid day, which still hasn't arrived around 4 hours later.  To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if this is an iiNet problem, or a hold up somewhere else, but certainly wasn't having this problem before the iiNet outage.

I'm just wondering if any other iiNet customers here are having the same experience?

9 minutes ago, emesbee said:

Well, I thought things were back to normal re emails, now I'm not so sure. I'm not getting errors any more, but email delivery seems to be glacially slow.

I did a loop back test this morning (ie: sent an email to myself), it took 4 hours to arrive. I also sent an email to my PC from my mobile phone around mid day, which still hasn't arrived around 4 hours later.  To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if this is an iiNet problem, or a hold up somewhere else, but certainly wasn't having this problem before the iiNet outage.

I'm just wondering if any other iiNet customers here are having the same experience?

Yes, it always takes a while to catch up on emails.  One reason is just all the extra load on the server trying to catch up. Another reason is that when some other server tries to send an email to iinet's server, and gets a failure, it might retry, fail again, then wait some period of time before trying again, and repeat this over and over with longer periods.  It also might eventually give up.  So all the emails sitting around the place on other forwarding servers that failed to reach iinet's server could be sitting, waiting for a resend at a later time.  They will slowly trickle in.  

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Yes, it always takes a while to catch up on emails.  One reason is just all the extra load on the server trying to catch up. Another reason is that when some other server tries to send an email to iinet's server, and gets a failure, it might retry, fail again, then wait some period of time before trying again, and repeat this over and over with longer periods.  It also might eventually give up.  So all the emails sitting around the place on other forwarding servers that failed to reach iinet's server could be sitting, waiting for a resend at a later time.  They will slowly trickle in.  

Well, lets hope that doesn't take too long to clear, as its next to unusable at the moment.

2 hours ago, emesbee said:

Yep...same, thought email service had resolved, but still sketchy  🙄🙄

The emails I sent yesterday arrived overnight, and also a couple from the day before.

Did a couple more tests this morning. Outgoing email worked ok, received it on a tablet within a few minutes, so probably acceptable.

Incoming still appears to be a problem though, haven't received the loop test email I sent over an hour ago. An advertising email from Amazon just dribbled in, time stamped 7:35am 27/12/2021. 

email is the new snail mail :sad:

Update: I just tried ringing their support line about the problem, there was a recorded message to the effect  '.... we are working on a webmail problem with our highest priority...'  Doesn't say much, or give me great confidence, but does at least indicate they know there is a problem.  I didn't bother waiting on hold for an hour+ or request a call back.

Edited by emesbee
update added

2 hours ago, emesbee said:

The emails I sent yesterday arrived overnight, and also a couple from the day before.

Did a couple more tests this morning. Outgoing email worked ok, received it on a tablet within a few minutes, so probably acceptable.

Incoming still appears to be a problem though, haven't received the loop test email I sent over an hour ago. An advertising email from Amazon just dribbled in, time stamped 7:35am 27/12/2021. 

email is the new snail mail :sad:

Update: I just tried ringing their support line about the problem, there was a recorded message to the effect  '.... we are working on a webmail problem with our highest priority...'  Doesn't say much, or give me great confidence, but does at least indicate they know there is a problem.  I didn't bother waiting on hold for an hour+ or request a call back.

Simplified non-technical explanation:

Normally when the receiving email server is down email messages sent from other servers get resent.  The sending server may make several attempts to deliver the email.  The number of retries depends on the sending server.  If, after a predetermined number of attempts to deliver the message has failed (generally over a 24 - 48 hour period), the sending server sends a message back to the sender indicating the message is undeliverable.

If you are unfortunate to experience frequent email server failures it's advisable to advise your critical contacts to c/c all their emails to you to another email address you have on a completely diverse server. That is have your iiNet email address as say your primary or preferred email address hosted by iiNet and your backup or c/c account hosted with say gmail.  

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

Simplified non-technical explanation:

Normally when the receiving email server is down email messages sent from other servers get resent.  The sending server may make several attempts to deliver the email.  The number of retries depends on the sending server.  If, after a predetermined number of attempts to deliver the message has failed (generally over a 24 - 48 hour period), the sending server sends a message back to the sender indicating the message is undeliverable.

If you are unfortunate to experience frequent email server failures it's advisable to advise your critical contacts to c/c all their emails to you to another email address you have on a completely diverse server. That is have your iiNet email address as say your primary or preferred email address hosted by iiNet and your backup or c/c account hosted with say gmail.  

Cheers,

Alan R.

Hi Alan, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I have been seriously thinking of using my gmail address as an alternative if they can't get on top of this problem fairly soon. 

And I see the problem now gets a mention on the ABC.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-28/perth-weather-power-outages-continue/100727990

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, emesbee said:

Hi Alan, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I have been seriously thinking of using my gmail address as an alternative if they can't get on top of this problem fairly soon. 

My iiNet email and domain seems to be back working as of yesterday.  I guess they "solved" the problem?

It's still as hot as Hell over here in the west.  Already 37 deg. heading for a predicted 39+.  Definitely stay indoors air-conditioning weather.

Cheers.

Alan R.

27 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

My iiNet email and domain seems to be back working as of yesterday.  I guess they "solved" the problem?

It's still as hot as Hell over here in the west.  Already 37 deg. heading for a predicted 39+.  Definitely stay indoors air-conditioning weather.

Cheers.

Alan R.

Yes, definitely a heat wave over there. Not too bad here in Adelaide at the moment, warm and sunny and around 26. Getting in to the 30s over the next few days though, expecting 37 on Saturday, New Years Day.  I guess its only a matter of time before we get some days in the 40s, not looking forward to that. Stay cool!

Oh, and I just tried sending an email from my PC to gmail, which was received very quickly. Have also sent a test email from gmail to my PC, don't think I will see that for a while. Doesn't really prove much, just tends to confirm that outgoing emails are getting sent ok, but their system is struggling to cope with the volume of incoming mail.

I've been having drop out's/disconnections sporadically for nearly a week, I thought it was a modem problem, did the usual unplug restart, unplug restart reset dance, nothing worked.

I finally rang support about it, and sure enough the problem disappeared while I was talking to them,.

I tried to keep them online saying just wait a minute or so as it's sure to drop out again.......It didn't, well not until 30 minutes after the phone call, then same thing again.

Then I started thinking that maybe with Covid running rampant in Sydney, and me being in a high density area they might have oversubscribed the service and it was overloaded from people staying at home causeing the drop outs

Anyway It's been stable today with no disconnections.

My connection has historically been pretty good, I'm using their Ultrabroadband FTTB

Edited by Tweaky