Issues with sound settings for Samsung Q80A and PS4 being fed through eARC to NAD M10

I purchased a Samsung Q80A 65" TV a few weeks ago and am running audio via the eARC output to my NAD M10. I have the M10 paired with speakers and a REL subwoofer in a 2.1 setup.

I also have a Playstation 4 running through the tv for gaming and bluray / dvd duties.

I am finding I am having to turn the volume up considerably from my usual music listening volume (approx 30-40) to hear the tv / Netflix / content from the PS4 through the M10 at an equivalent volume (up to 75-85).

I thought the issue may have been that my HDMI cables were old - 1.3 - and not passing on all of the signal from the higher spec TV I now have, so I went and upgraded these to 2.1 cables.

Sadly, there was no change at all. 

Last night watching a James Bond bluray, I had the volume dialed up but dialogue was very hard to hear. Action and music were very, very loud by comparison.

I figured it was set to 5.1 or some other format in the PS4, so paused the movie and checked the audio output and it was set to PMC. This hasn't been so obvious with the few other blurays we have watched. 

I obviously need to change audio settings somewhere (or in multiple locations) but can not seem to find what it is that I have wrong?

The TV audio output is set to eARC and PMC. 

I have been looking online but can not seem to find anything regarding this issue.  

I am hopeful some of my SNA colleagues can assist me with this as I would like to get the benefits of the Tv and M10 eARC connection.

Sounds like the PS4 is sending a 5.1 PCM signal (where much of the dialogue will be on the absent centre channel) and this is not being downmixed to 2.1.

Check if the disc has a 2.1 or 2.0 soundtrack and select this. I'm not aware is the PS4 or M10 have the capability to downmix  a 5.1 soundtrack.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Sounds like the PS4 is sending a 5.1 PCM signal (where much of the dialogue will be on the absent centre channel) and this is not being downmixed to 2.1.

Check if the disc has a 2.1 or 2.0 soundtrack and select this. I'm not aware is the PS4 or M10 have the capability to downmix  a 5.1 soundtrack.

I note the Blu-ray set are master 5.1, and my only audio options with the PS4 are linear PMC, Dolby or Bitstream DTS (from memory). 
I tried all 3 last night, same sound on all option. 
I was watching the Matrix on free to air last night and it was also similar. 
Im feeling a bit disappointed. 
should I be using optical out instead of the hdmi?

There were no audio options on the Blu-ray itself. 

59 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

I note the Blu-ray set are master 5.1, and my only audio options with the PS4 are linear PMC, Dolby or Bitstream DTS (from memory). 
I tried all 3 last night, same sound on all option. 
I was watching the Matrix on free to air last night and it was also similar. 
Im feeling a bit disappointed. 
should I be using optical out instead of the hdmi?

There were no audio options on the Blu-ray itself. 

If the PS4 and M10 don't have any downmix capabilities then you need to get an AVR with pre-outs. PS4 > AVR > M10.

• Like 1

The Q80 has far too many settings! Please check the following

For eARC on HDMI 3, in Setting/ General / External Device Manager , Anynet+ is enabled.

Sound / Expert Settings HDMI-eARC is set to auto.  If you set Digital Audio Output Format to PCM, it will downmix and output to stereo.  

If this does not work, then try optical.

Also. suggest contacting NAD support and ask them why you need to increase volume when using eARC.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The Q80 has far too many settings! Please check the following

For eARC on HDMI 3, in Setting/ General / External Device Manager , Anynet+ is enabled.

Sound / Expert Settings HDMI-eARC is set to auto.  If you set Digital Audio Output Format to PCM, it will downmix and output to stereo.  

If this does not work, then try optical.

Also. suggest contacting NAD support and ask them why you need to increase volume when using eARC.

Thanks for that. 
I will run through that later today and then look to contact both NAD and Samsung support. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

If the PS4 and M10 don't have any downmix capabilities then you need to get an AVR with pre-outs. PS4 > AVR > M10.

Cheers, but I won’t be doing that.
I don’t want more boxes.
The M10 is a decent Swiss Army knife that I bought to simplify the tv cabinet. 

It’s a live with limitations situation from here. 

• Like 1