JVC DLA-NZ7/DLA-NZ8/DLA-NZ9 Owners Discussion Thread

Welcome to the JVC 2021 laser projector owner's thread!

There are 3 models in this range:

• DLA-NZ7
  • DLA-NZ8
  • DLA-NZ9

They all feature 2 x 48Gbps HDMI ports that allow for 4K 120Hz and 8K 60Hz inputs with support for HDR10+ metadata and Display Stream Compression (DSC)

Only the NZ8 and NZ9 have JVC's new 4-way eshiftX, the NZ7 has JVC's previous gen eshift carried over from the DLA-NX9.

The NZ7 and NZ8 have a 65mm lens and the NZ9 has a 100mm lens.

The NZ8 and NZ9 also feature "high contrast optics" that are supposed to improve contrast.

I'll add further info to this post as time goes on :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Waikis said:

Rhi, just to confirm, so Low latency currently doesn't work with Dynamic Tone Mapping?

this is the case with NZ series as stated by JVC yes. 

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 1

I think I've found a bug but whether it's by design or not I'm not sure. If it turns out to be a "feature" or "designed by intent" I'm going to feel pretty upset about this purchase. Hopefully we'll hear from JVC or someone with better contacts than me about if this is intended or not.

But basically, Enabling vs Disabling Low Latency mode causes a drastic difference in picture quality. This is especially bad when you consider you can't use Frame Adapt HDR and Laser Dimming in Low Latency mode!

People with video processors (like the Lumagen or Envy) won't have any issues with this as they can just enable Low Latency mode, get a sharp picture, while still having tone mapping - albeit with no dimming. But for those of us without an Envy or Lumagen we're basically screwed 🙁

This is the opposite to the NX series apparently where enabling Low Latency would degrade the picture quality - although you could at least still use Frame Adapt HDR.

I'm really really hoping these problems are just firmware gremlins and not hardware issues or I'm going to be pissed - I didn't spend $20k+ on a projector to get something less sharp than my $2000 Panasonic LED LCD TV. While I could afford an Envy or a Lumagen that's not the point - the reason to buy JVC over say, Sony, is that you don't NEED to then go buy a video processor to compensate for the lack of HDR tone mapping.

• Like 2

Anyway... hopefully in a few weeks once people are back from their christmas breaks we'll get answers. It's just a shame this hasn't been fixed in time for the holidays 🙁

Ok so apparently JVC are aware of this issue and have a fix under development, so that's promising 👍

Or if not a fix then they should at least have some ideas on why its happening and confirm/deny if they can fix it.

Edited by rhi

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... over in the other forum people are saying that this LL on/LL off behaviour is expected and can't/won't be fixed 🤦‍♀️

Makes you wonder, what have JVC been doing with all this time between releases if they can't get basic functionality to work?

On the plus side, I watched a regular SD blu-ray with LL mode on last night and it looked spectacular. The blacks and contrast were amazing. I think I got really lucky with my particular projector so if JVC can just fix these weird firmware bugs I think it'll be perfect, at least as long as I never see a Christie 😂

I don't regret my purchase, but it definitely needs some fine tuning and I really hope JVC is willing to do that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well folks, yesterday my NZ9 arrived. Don't know for sure how many others arrived here in Aus finally but not many I believe. I haven't swapped out the RS4500 just yet as will wait till my mate pops over tomorrow. I unboxed it and temporarily set it this afternoon. Let it warm up for a while and went about doing the firmware downgrade for Lumagen compatibility. After I got that sorted, I had a bit of look. Checked focus and convergence which was only one click out -better than the RS4500. I also don't have the DCR swapped over yet and didn't want to alter my Lumagen settings just to test without the DCR, so images weren't in correct aspect but it was enough to give me a good idea. I also am running no Laser dimming as I wanted to see the raw performance. Also testing in High Laser right now and even standing next it, geez it's quiet coming from the RS4500. Have to say I've not been disappointed at all so far. The image has so much punch, plus the colours and gamma look very good out of the box to my eye. I also had a brief test of E-shift 8K, which I noticed is on out of the box. I decided to leave it on for now.

I took a very quick iPhone shot which does give a little of an idea of how pleasing an image this thing can throw. Also, very pleased I can see no issues some of the NZ7/8 owners have encountered with their units thus far.

Can't wait to get it up today with the DCR and start really putting it through it paces.

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I've been enjoying my NZ8 a lot recently. I just need to get around to using it more often, currently I'm getting distracted by lots of projects.

Forza Horizon 5 on a 120" screen at 4K (with 8k eshiftX) with all game settings maxed is a spectacular experience!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, viTRifY13 said:

I have just unboxed my NZ7 after waiting 2 months for the JVC plate to arrive (it's as if USPS is treating Australia like a 3rd world country!).  Which firmware are you guys on?  I have v1.2

Wow you really got dudded on that shipping I haven't seen that kind issue since late last year. I'm landing stuff shipped USPS regularly and its only taking a 10 days a lot of the time. Only caveat being don't cheap it out too much on the level of USPS or it might bite you on the arse. If that had happened to me I'd have gone into B&H Photo and ordered another as that would drive me nuts.

I'm on downgraded firmware thanks to JVC stuffing up Lumagen HDMI compatiblity in later firmware.  

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 3:30 PM, viTRifY13 said:

I have just unboxed my NZ7 after waiting 2 months for the JVC plate to arrive (it's as if USPS is treating Australia like a 3rd world country!).  Which firmware are you guys on?  I have v1.2

I'm using v1.20 as I don't have a Lumagen.

• Like 1

Any idea what kind of brightness gain on a 2.37 scope you could expect with the JVC NZ9 + Paladin DCR?

The Paladin website claims up to 30%, I am keen to find out any real world experiences with it.

Edited by audiohippo

• 4 months later...
From JVC update on stock availability: The factory only recommenced production at the end of June, so allocations are only small for the first 3 months for all models, this is until they can catch up with the global demand. We should see a reasonable amount of stock of the NZ7 and NZ8 arriving in late October early November, any new order for the NZ9 could be out until December/ January as they will need to be placed into production.

Please note that these dates are subject to change based on material availability under the current global situation and production changes.

On 03/03/2022 at 5:41 PM, audiohippo said:

Any idea what kind of brightness gain on a 2.37 scope you could expect with the JVC NZ9 + Paladin DCR?

The Paladin website claims up to 30%, I am keen to find out any real world experiences with it.

Depends on the size of the screen? The bigger it gets the more the light is dispersed out and the dimmer it becomes.

• 5 weeks later...

Still enjoying my NZ8 so far... although I think I made a mistake with my mount choice as it's an absolute pain in the butt to align accurately. I'm open to suggestions of what I could get to replace it that is easier/better to align and then lock in place.

Also, is masking possible on a drop down 16:9 screen? Luckily I can turn down the iris a lot so I get excellent contrast, but it'd be nice to totally black out the bars on the top and bottom of movies.

Recently I've been making a few audio upgrades more so than video changes, but once I get my Trinnov setup the whole system should be a glorious experience! 👍

Can those mounts be bought in Australia? I had a bit of a look around but didn't have much luck.

I wonder if they could attach to the pole I have installed already or would I need to install a different pole...