Help me start streaming

Don't you have a computer you can use? There is usually an application you can download to access a particular music streaming service.

If you want a cheap box, then a DIY approach using a Pi computer is one way to go, but you will need to tinker. However, if you want an easy to use box, a used BlueSound Node is my suggestion.

Easiest start is a phone paired with a DAC.    You may have an old phone or tablet which you can use.  Doesn't need a SIM if you are just streaming via your Wifi.      I prefer this to a laptop, tends to be less noisy sitting next to your hifi equipment.

others suggested an rPi.  This is what I do.  I run MoOde audio on it  I think the rPi is the best choice.  Pair it with a USB DAC or a HAT that plugs straight on to the pi.  I prefer USB.  No downsides, especially with the new rPi 4.  It  streams radio stations, local, and network files, spotify etc.  It also runs other good stuff like a DSP and Sox resampling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

snip    I prefer this to a laptop, tends to be less noisy sitting next to your hifi equipment.

I fitted an SSD in place of the HDD, totally silent now.

19 hours ago, Trevor Whittle said:

Help (Please)

I want to get into  music streaming for the lowest possible cost as I want to make a small investing before upgrading (which is inevitable).

Any ideas?   Or anything for sale?

Thanks IA

Trevor

Hey Trev, you'll get some good advice here but I just wanted to say that you are taking the right path if you love music. While tens of millions of albums is too much to ever listen to, it does mean that you can check out any artist that you ever hear about, at effectively no cost. You can always buy the artist's work to support them, but if you didn't get to hear them in the first place then that wouldn't have been a possibility.

I use an RPi, with a i2s hat and a  chip-based DSD upsampling unit.

Good luck👍

20 hours ago, Trevor Whittle said:

Help (Please)

I want to get into  music streaming for the lowest possible cost as I want to make a small investing before upgrading (which is inevitable).

Any ideas?   Or anything for sale?

Thanks IA

Trevor

How are you listening to music today?  Or phrasing that another way, what existing gear do you already have?

Great offer  thank you 

Will have a look

On 29/11/2021 at 9:25 AM, aussievintage said:

Easiest start is a phone paired with a DAC.    You may have an old phone or tablet which you can use.  Doesn't need a SIM if you are just streaming via your Wifi.      I prefer this to a laptop, tends to be less noisy sitting next to your hifi equipment.

others suggested an rPi.  This is what I do.  I run MoOde audio on it  I think the rPi is the best choice.  Pair it with a USB DAC or a HAT that plugs straight on to the pi.  I prefer USB.  No downsides, especially with the new rPi 4.  It  streams radio stations, local, and network files, spotify etc.  It also runs other good stuff like a DSP and Sox resampling.

I ll start with a phone. How do I connect a dac to the phone?  I assume that the headphones out is analogue?  

4 hours ago, Trevor Whittle said:

Great offer  thank you 

Will have a look

I ll start with a phone. How do I connect a dac to the phone?  I assume that the headphones out is analogue?  

1 hour ago, Trevor Whittle said:

What about an android phone?  It has only a headphone  socket...

No, it has a usb socket that you use for charging.  That socket can also connect to a computer, an external hard drive,  or a DAC, using an OTG connecter.

Edited by aussievintage

6 minutes ago, pezzy said:

theres also bluetooth if youre dac/streamer supports it. just pair the phone and youre set.

OK to start with.   Bluetooth codecs ARE getting better.  I still don't like the idea of my flac files being sent in a lossy fashion.

I admit I find bluetooth quite suitable for portable music however.