Pick-A-Sub

Esoterica

Hi guys, I have been considering upgrading my subwoofer for home theatre, for some time, and am close to making a purchase.

Just wanted to get some advice beforehand. I'm tossing up between a SVS SB-1000 Pro ($999) or PB-2000 ($1,225).

The room is 4w x 5d with one of the 5m sides being completely open to the other living areas. My current sub is a Yamaha NS-SW300. It was bought before I had standards (lol) as part of a Yammy 5.1 spkr pack, and I've wanted to buy a better one for a while. Dunno if I can fix it (I've tried, changing xover etc.) but it has fairly crude bass delivery and bottoms out easily or whatever the term is... it can't handle low frequencies I think. 

Anyway, as for the two models I'm considering, I'm open to other models, just been looking at a SVS micro for some time, but these other models came up for cheaper, and possibly? giving better results. I don't want to spend more than $1,500. The ?'s I have over the SB-1000 Pro vs. PB-2000 are smaller size vs. power. I live in a small 2 br home and already have a lot of gear in the living/hifi/home theatre room, so the sheer mass of the PB is a worry, but for the extra $226, is it worth dealing with that? Is the performance over the SB-1P (if any?) going to be worth the extra cost and size?

TIA

forget the sb1000 anything, your room is too big and for movies.

pb2000 at that price delivered but imo you want 2 subs for that room.. pb1000 pro x2 or pb2000 x2. if only 1 sub probably a pb3000. but budget is budget so i would look at the.... one of the the 2 suggested and look to add another down the track.

you dont say what auto EQ you have but you could get the pb2000 now and wait and watch for a deal on a pb1000 pro later and put that just behind your seating. this has worked well in my room with a pb2000 up front and old velodyne 15" behind seating using audyssey xt32.

i also have a old yammy sub the sw800 but it is quite good in a smaller room unlike yamaha's modern subs.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Esoterica said:

live in a small 2 br home and already have a lot of gear in the living/hifi/home theatre room, so the sheer mass of the PB is a worry, but for the extra $226, is it worth dealing with that? Is the performance over the SB-1P (if any?) going to be worth the extra cost and size?

I think the extra money would be worth it, even if for nothing more than you don't have to worry about the "what if".

I know it is more than you want to spend, but how about about the PC2000 or PC2000 Pro which should be about the same performance as the PB model but with a much smaller footprint in your room.

https://www.classaaudio.com.au/subwoofer/1921-svs-pc-2000-pro-series-ported-cylinder-home-subwoofer-856677007763.html

Edited by Satanica
3 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

pb2000 at that price delivered but imo you want 2 subs for that room.. pb1000 pro x2 or pb2000 x2. if only 1 sub probably a pb3000. but budget is budget so i would look at the.... one of the the 2 suggested and look to add another down the track.

The pb1000 is $999 and I was thinking of getting 2. Getting 1 now and another later would be ideal. Could do the same with the pb2000. Is it worth the extra $226 ober the 1000?

3 hours ago, Satanica said:

I know it is more than you want to spend, but how about about the PC2000 or PC2000 Pro which should be about the same performance as the PB model but with a much smaller footprint in your room.

Smaller footprint is good, but overall bulkiness is a concern. I guess bulk/size goes hand in hand with good subs? I mean, I was excited about getting a 3000 micro, but when doing research, it doesn't really compare to the big boys.

edit: Actually I will put it in the mix. I kind of prefer the form factor. $1899 is the lowest price I found from a quick search. Is it worth $600+ than the pb2000 though? Or $100 less than 2 x pb1000?

Edited by Esoterica

there is or was a micro for sale for $1250, basically new.

what ever you get in that open room i would want 2. i got a 2nd pb2000 because i have 1 already. many have bought 2x pb1000 pro especially now the woofer is 12" not 10" as before. micro maybe ok but small box does not beat bigger box imo.

as for the pc.. i have the 20-39pc plus and i will tell you unless you hide it in a corner foot print does not matter, it stands out. could not suggest 2 of those in most peoples rooms.

so there you go, make a choice and be happy :-)

• Like 1

I would go with 1 x larger sub for now and save for another of similar size or bigger, or the PC if space saving demands it.

Testing with the single sub for now will give you an indication of how that performs (remember treatment and placement has huge impact) and feedback for what sub2 may suit (could be smaller!)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

there is or was a micro for sale for $1250, basically new.

what ever you get in that open room i would want 2. i got a 2nd pb2000 because i have 1 already. many have bought 2x pb1000 pro especially now the woofer is 12" not 10" as before. micro maybe ok but small box does not beat bigger box imo.

as for the pc.. i have the 20-39pc plus and i will tell you unless you hide it in a corner foot print does not matter, it stands out. could not suggest 2 of those in most peoples rooms.

so there you go, make a choice and be happy 🙂

Yep, I saw the ad for the micro, but after watching comparo vid on micro and one of the big boys, I wasn't as keen.

So because my room has one side wide open, you'd want 2 subs? My current yammy sits in between front speakers and at THX reference level it's awesome actually. But, I don't listen at that volume often as it's bloody loud! It's weird though, it's as if some magic happens when you turn it up to that.

Oh, that reminds me, I didn't mention processing. I have an Onkyo RZ-730 9.2ch AVR, currently setup in a 7.1.2 configuration.

I should add, I want to install theatre curtains along the open side of the room.

12 hours ago, WasM said:

I would go with 1 x larger sub for now and save for another of similar size or bigger, or the PC if space saving demands it.

Testing with the single sub for now will give you an indication of how that performs (remember treatment and placement has huge impact) and feedback for what sub2 may suit (could be smaller!)

Yeah I know about treatment and placement. That's the dilemma. Being starved of space, it's a challenge to find ideal placement for a sub. Even my relatively small yammy is currently sitting in front of my entertainment unit, blocking access to a cupboard. Not that I need access to that, but it's not ideal.

I've been thinking hard about downsizing lately, particularly my vinyl collection and gear. I just don't have the room for such bulk and stream mostly anyways. That's a whole other discussion though.

AccuEQ on the onk, from just about everything i have read is crap. so need to adjust things after using it.

curtains i like

just from your posts i would look at the pb1000 pro with a view to add a 2nd later if needed. should be able to pick one up close to $900 delivered. dont go by web sites call the retailers and you might be surprised.

but as always your money your choice.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Esoterica said:

Smaller footprint is good, but overall bulkiness is a concern. I guess bulk/size goes hand in hand with good subs? I mean, I was excited about getting a 3000 micro, but when doing research, it doesn't really compare to the big boys.

edit: Actually I will put it in the mix. I kind of prefer the form factor. $1899 is the lowest price I found from a quick search. Is it worth $600+ than the pb2000 though? Or $100 less than 2 x pb1000?

I think the 3000 micro won't come anywhere close to the PB\PC2000 in the 20-40Hz range for output and quality and that's what you want for that true cinematic feeling.

I once read the 20-40Hz range which is about the last octave we can hear being described as the "explosion zone" for HT.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Satanica said:

I think the 3000 micro won't come anywhere close to the PB\PC2000 in the 20-40Hz range for output and quality and that's what you want for that true cinematic feeling.

I once read the 20-40Hz range which is about the last octave we can hear being described as the "explosion zone" for HT.

rumbling in the guts.... my experience is ~25Hz below is felt rather than heard.

• Like 2

On 25/11/21 at 11:58 AM, hopefullguy said:

should be able to pick one up close to $900 delivered.

Just wondering if you are sure about this? Almost everywhere has it listed for $1249 and that's supposedly a sale price. I did find one store with $998 on them, but can't add to cart, so stock may not be available.

I'm happy to call places, but was planning to afterpay it. Don't know if that can be done via phone. Anyway, just wanted to check that you meant pb, not sb, because a pb 1000 pro for $900 wouldn't be much more than half rrp. The non pro version of the pb 1000 is closer to that price too.