Need a very specific bit of kit.

Jarrod Harrison

• Volunteer

Not sure what you mean by “USB digital pass through” but if you need a phono stage with digital output there are a few around. 
https://www.turntablelab.com/collections/phono-preamps-w-usb-output

Also, if you already have a good phono stage you might think about adding an AD converter rather than buying a dedicated digital phono stage

48 minutes ago, Jarrod Harrison said:

I need a phono stage with a USB digital pass through with a USB output. 

has anyone heard of such a thing?

Regards

Jarrod

No I certainly haven't!  😄

But I can't quite understand what it is you are looking for?

A phono stage has RCAs in ... and generally, RCAs out.

A USB 'pass through' suggests to me you want a USB socket on the front ... with wires going directly to a USB socket on the back.  So what is the purpose of this?

Andy

• Like 1

There are a few products which you could try:

The NAD PP4

Project Phono Box DS2 USB

Project AD Box S2

I'm not sure how good any of them would sound. If you wanted to make digital recordings of LPs, using a decent AD converter with your existing phono stage is probably a better option. I use an RME Babyface Pro connected to my phono stage on the rare occasion I want to digitise LPs, and it works very well.

Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 with Beolab 5's is a bit tricky.

Beomaster 5 has A-Aux input via usb only. 

There is a crappy behringer adaptor that works but it's garbage.

The idea of an AD converter with 2 inputs would be good thanks sir zingmore.  Not sure where to get one of those though. 

I somehow need to get my iPad (my digital streaming source via apple music) and my turntable into one device that will then output that as USB to then connect to the Beomaster 5.

NOW - I know that many here (perhaps most) don't really like B&O citing cost / design over sound etc but I have been enamoured for the best part of 25 years. The BeoLab 5's are my dream speakers and I've lusted for them since they were released in (I think) 2003.  I was working for B&O at the time and the Bang & Olufsen loyalty chip was firmly implanted on induction in 1999 and it's never needed the battery replaced. Even the COVID-19 vaccine had no effect on the loyalty chip.

I've retired a pair of Sonus Faber Liuto floor standers with an 80w Quasimodo amplifier (Richard wouldn't build one more powerful than that) and a pioneer stable platter CD player that will all be on the market soon so keep an eye out for that.

(still some cable tidying to do - they had only just been set up...)

May be an image of indoor

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jarrod Harrison said:

Beomaster 5 has A-Aux input via usb only. 

Wow - even more 'captive' than Apple!  😄

The idea of an AD converter with 2 inputs would be good thanks sir zingmore.

Surely what you want is a device  which has:

an A2D converter for your phono stage

*  so input #1 is RCAs and the output from this stage is USB

*  then there's a 2-way USB switch which selects:

• either the output from the A2D converter
  • or input #2 - which is USB

*  and passes one of these onto the output USB?

That will solve this problem:

I somehow need to get my iPad (my digital streaming source via apple music) and my turntable into one device that will then output that as USB to then connect to the Beomaster 5.

Not sure where to get one of those though. 

Given B&O is the only mfr that uses USB ins ... surely B&O make one?

Andy

Edited by andyr

B&O offer the crappest thing from behringer. It’s garbage.

this is their solution.

urgh. 

https://djcity.com.au/product/behringer-uca202-external-sound-card/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnO2MBhApEiwA8q0HYesA9lpaJAHTnjf8oxYG6I7TbV_cxwyAg5KC6y_3z1cf_YOh44zZQhoCgeYQAvD_BwE

Edited by Jarrod Harrison
35 minutes ago, Jarrod Harrison said:

That device does not have USB out, only optical.  Doesn't seem to meet your requirements for USB.

1 hour ago, Jarrod Harrison said:

It has a built in phono stage which I can only imagine how bad that sounds. 

Correct!  😄

But given your rusted-on love of all things B&O ... I suspect you are left high and dry.  :classic_sad:

If you bought a different (make of) preamp to replace your Beomaster 5 ... would this be able to connect to your Beosound 5 using "standard" RCAs?

If so then you have a choice:

1. a preamp which has an internal phono stage (you didn't mention whether your cart is MM or MC).
  2. or a preamp plus a phono stage.

And the ideal would probably be a tube preamp - as long as its output impedance was low enough to match with the input impedance of your Beosound 5.  A Doge 8 preamp is wonderful-sounding - and has a really good MM phono stage (MC not so good).  Not sure about its Zout.

Andy

Can't think of anything that meets your direct need.  The only thing I can think may help would be a custom configured Raspberry Pi with a Hat and a bunch of custom programming.

The challenge is that USB connections are all Host to Slave - so your iPad (I assume) is playing host and sending music to the Beo as Slave.  There is no such thing as passthrough - the Host has a whole bunch of intelligence to manage interactions with the slave.  To emulate passthrough you need something to play Slave and then itself add all the intelligence to be a Host to the next Slave down the line.  And most A2D devices won't help as their USB output is designed to be a Slave to a PC.  So the industry is kind of back to front from what you need,

Gibbo

On 23/11/2021 at 9:24 PM, andyr said:

RUSTED ON... I love this.. bah ha ha ha.

Correct!  😄

But given your rusted-on love of all things B&O ... I suspect you are left high and dry.  :classic_sad:

If you bought a different (make of) preamp to replace your Beomaster 5 ... would this be able to connect to your Beosound 5 using "standard" RCAs?

If so then you have a choice:

1. a preamp which has an internal phono stage (you didn't mention whether your cart is MM or MC).
  2. or a preamp plus a phono stage.

And the ideal would probably be a tube preamp - as long as its output impedance was low enough to match with the input impedance of your Beosound 5.  A Doge 8 preamp is wonderful-sounding - and has a really good MM phono stage (MC not so good).  Not sure about its Zout.

Andy