windows 11

ray4410

28 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

just wondering if anyone has downloaded windows 11 yet, if so any positive or negative results.

Yeah I have and my experience is mainly negative. I found having the screen saver on would sometimes prevent my computer from sleeping and to have it hibernate I also need to have it sleep first. 

In general, I've found that Windows 10 has a better UI in Settings to get to advanced settings in the Control Panel. 

Overall, it's OK and I'm not going back to 10 as the support for 11 should be twice as long but I haven't found one really great feature that impresses me. 

Edited by Satanica

You have to use the Windows 11 compatibility check program first, Tom's Hardware has listed CPU's that will run Win 11.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/these-are-all-the-intel-and-amd-cpus-that-can-run-windows-11

From what I've read it seems Windows 11 will only run on relatively recent CPU's and get updates, this has to do with Win 11 needed to have a CPU that has Trusted Platform Module or TPM.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/what-is-a-tpm-and-heres-why-you-need-it-for-windows-11

If Win 11 detects that your CPU does not meet the needed spec's, it will still get installed, but you will probably not get full functionality, and you will certainly not be getting any updates for it.

The one new feature that I was particularly interested in with Win 11 was it's ability to run Android App's, but on further reading it seems this aspect is still in testing, and only a handful of Android App's have so far been tested and found to work fully with Win 11

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

I just bought a Levono Laptop for sis for xmas.

First thing when turning on to setup it asks if I want Windows 11 Pro instead.

Almost clicked on it but went 10 instead. Now googling there is quite a few people who have mentioned their batteries drain vey quickly, they are getting only 2 hours now and waiting on a fix from Levono.

A good tip would be if you want to try out Windows 11, do a complete backup of some type, so you able to go back to 10 if you have any problems.

Like when Windows 10 came out, it seemed to work out better to wait a while for all the many companies with their products, software & drivers to sort out all the bugs and compatibility. 

• Like 1

When I tried to upgrade to windows 11 last month I got this message "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11" and the upgrade was terminated.

Not really happy with that as my pc runs Windows 10 fine and doesn't do much, I turned to youtube.

Found a video on how to fudge the upgrade and successfully installed Windows 11 on to my old pc.

Currently all windows updates are working as far as I can tell.

Everything works as before Foobar and Netflix 4K so I was happy

Feature wise there was nothing new and worth talking about

Only the windows logo changed and start button moved to the center

All the old menus are there even SMB 1.0 and old style domain join

Nothing new really

So if I move the Start menu back to the left as before then Windows 11 will only have 6 new meaningful features 😜

7 new features included in Windows 11

Here are a few of the standout new features in Windows 11:

ok,thanks all above,i have checked and my computer is compatible with windows 11,after reading these posts i will stay with windows 10 as i am quite happy with it,as they say if it aint broke don't fix it,also seeing the new option's that come with windows 11, non interest me. 

• Like 1

Goodaye all

Never become  a first adopter/tester.

l am sure there will be a major flaw found in the near future.

Had a message pop up when Win10 was updating that 2 of my Pcs' can run Win11.

Thats nice, what about my other 3???

Wait until Win10 support runs out.

regards Bruce

• Like 2

I downloaded and installed Windows 11 in a virtual machine to try it out.   

I have run and supported Windows in industrial and commercial environments since Windows 2 (yes, the one before 3 which hardly anyone ever used or remembers).   Don't know if my opinion actually carries any more weight because of that but...

Windows 11 isn't a big upgrade at all from Windows 10.  The user interface seems less messy, so that's a good thing for the average and casual user.     It does not appear to be "better".  Not particularly faster or quicker to install. nor to update.  That last is a big one.  The biggest complaint I get from the few people I still support using Windows is the time spent waiting for the Windows update screen to go away.  I cannot blame them, it is shockingly poor at doing updates (as any linux user will attest when they compare the slick ways linux achieves the same things)

As far as I can see, the biggest reason it is named Windows 11, not a Windows 10 upgrade, is for appearances sake, and to excuse the push to make you buy a new computer.   Just btw,  even if it says your computer is not compatible, that doesn't ac tually mean you can't run it.  If you are on Windows 10 already, it will probably run Windows 11 OK.  There are ways to trick it into installing (google will find many clues on this)

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 1

Yes , the upgrade from 10 went smoothly and I have not experienced any problems so far , everything's running well , with the games I play I have at least the same or better performance.

So far no negatives for me.

• Like 1

I've been using it on my secondary machine.  It has a couple of features that are welcome for software development which is my main use case for that laptop.

Mostly if you aren't using the dev features like WSL, there isn't much compelling about it.

Interestingly it did improve the stability of a couple of older games, but I would attribute that to the newer graphics driver that got installed.

I’ve upgraded from windows 10 to 11 on two of my newer Intel NUC i7 PC’s. No issues or regrets from my perspective, I like the built in auto screen split on my 49in 32:9 ultra wide monitor. I also notice better driver compatibility too, ie. my thunderbolt 3 to 10gbe network adaptor  didn’t need a driver installation. However pretty much a much of a muchness, nothing significantly different between windows 10 to 11.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

Have the fixed that bloody "Quick Access" [ New version of File Explorer ] problem I, and many thousands of other suffer.....as in deciding not to load, leaving you unable to get at files ?

The amount of times I have tried to fix this bloody problem....ARRRGH!....................I've had temporary fixes that have worked, but they always return.

I've even tried to remove the bloody thing using a Regedit and it still appears afterwards, even though I have admin privilege.

On 22/11/2021 at 3:00 PM, muon* said:

I have a Ryzen 1700 Pro, so I'll have to wait till I upgrade my motherboard and CPU to newer before I can move from 10.

11 has nothing to attract me at this point anyway.

Same here.  Win10 does the job fine for what i need atm.  

• Like 1