Add Mac 27 to hifi

Hi SNA. I would appreciate sound advice on how to best accomplish adding a MAC 27 to my hifi. 

Here is what I have: 

Orchard Audio Pecan Pi Streamer (XLR Outputs) -> Orchard Audio Starkrimson Mono Blocks (XLR Inputs) -> KEF LS50 Passive Speakers

I want to add my Mac 27 to this system.

I am thinking that this can be achieved like this: 

Pecan Pi Streamer -> \

\

-> PASSIVE PREAMP ? -> Starkrimson Mono Blocks -> KEF LS50 Passive Speakers

/
 Mac 27 -> DAC ???-> /

PASSIVE PREAMP
I have been advised in the past that an audio switch like a MC103-Pro would do for the Passive Preamp. If there are any members here that can speak to the quality of this device I would like to hear it. 

DAC for MAC 27
I have been looking at the Schiit Audio Modi 3 DAC or 3+ DAC (do not yet know the difference). The RCA output would need to be converted to to XLR if I were to use the MC103-Pro preamp. 

I am very happy with my current system. I do not want to introduce noise or colour. I also want to keep the cost DOWN on this as I feel this is mostly a routing issue? or am I wrong about that too?

Would appreciate a critique on the device candidates or alternative solutions. 

Thank you!

Edited by herebedragons69
clarity

You cannot plug the MAC to PecanPi using USB. The PecanPi Streamer does not support the functionality of being a USB DAC.

However you can upgrade Ropieee to RopieeeXL and use airplay. However I believe that airplay is limited to 16 bits 44kHz.

2 hours ago, herebedragons69 said:

What are you basing this suggestion on? My Pecan Pi streamer is a Roon endpoint. 

Where is your roon core located? 

But the Pecan has analog out? 
Just seemed like doubling up if you need another DAC 

do you just want be be able to play any Audio from the Mac like if your watching a movie or something not just audio from roon? 

Edited by JCM
3 hours ago, JCM said:

do you just want be be able to play any Audio from the Mac like if your watching a movie or something not just audio from roon? 

Yes that's right. 

Edited by herebedragons69
clarity

2 hours ago, orchardaudiollc said:

You cannot plug the MAC to PecanPi using USB. The PecanPi Streamer does not support the functionality of being a USB DAC.

Thank you OA. I thought that was the case. Just wanted confirmation. 

2 hours ago, orchardaudiollc said:

However you can upgrade Ropieee to RopieeeXL and use airplay. However I believe that airplay is limited to 16 bits 44kHz.

Really? That's exciting! Connecting the Mac to my Pecan Pi via bluetooth would be acceptable. From my Mac it's not for music, except the odd bandcamp audit, but rather mostly for online study. Can you point me to a step by step guid to upgrade my Pecan Pi Streamer to be able to do this? Is Bluetooth capability built into the unit or do I need to add something? Are there any other compromises or considerations to be aware of?

• Like 1

I upgraded Ropieee to Ropieee XL. It's works great. I am not noticing any noise, distortion or interference. I can now also group my PecanPi with my wife's Sonos in Roon which I like. I should have asked about this some time back. I just assumed that if it was not ideal to enable wifi on the device then it would follow that bluetooth should also be left alone. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, herebedragons69 said:

I upgraded Ropieee to Ropieee XL. It's works great. I am not noticing any noise, distortion or interference. I can now also group my PecanPi with my wife's Sonos in Roon which I like. I should have asked about this some time back. I just assumed that if it was not ideal to enable wifi on the device then it would follow that bluetooth should also be left alone. 

Airplay is not bluetooth, it uses your standard network connection.