CD players and other disc players and dacs

Hi All, I have a good electrical knowledge, rudimentary electronics, good computer etc

I am wondering why people would go and buy a 600 to 900 disc player for audio today ?

Seeing it is easy and cheap to get good quality DAC with various inputs, seems to me as long as the laser can read and output a digital signal, there is not much point in an expensive dedicated player ?

What am I missing.

PS as I no longer live in city, it is hard to even get Bluray players now, sales staff say no one wants players anymore, I guess they are all streaming, but in the case of AV I can see discs still may have an edge.

The digital output of some players is abysmal, that's why we see a market for dedicated disk transports to pair with a DAC.

Even though Marantz/Philips players like mine have good transport mech's, apparently the square wave of the digital output of my Marantz and others like it is terrible without modifications. The i2s internal bus is good so as a player It's good in this respect.

So not all players are equal in many areas, both as stand alone players or as transports.

But if you need other inputs like USB of course you will get a dedicated DAC that has these, if not and you spin disks only like I do then a dedicated player can be a good option.

But new between those prices may not get you there.

Edit: also, your definition of a good dac may not be the same as someone else's definition of a good dac.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 4

hi Greg,

I Guess some people like the action of getting out of their chair and hearing a tray open and the sounds associated with the tray closing. I love the sound out of my CD Players. I guess the same question is similar to in the 80's and 90's when CD players were the de rigeur and Vinyl was outdated in mainstream views.

We all know how that turned out. Vinyl sales are at  pretty healthy sales even in 2021. I have digital streamer from a Nuc, Dac and NAS but still prefer my CD collection.

• Like 3

The sound I get from my Sony XA-7ES as a transport into the Holo Audio May is superb.

Better than any streaming I have managed to cobble together.

So would I buy another CD transport now if it died? Good question. I'm HOPING I can exceed its quality by streaming, but if I couldn't, I would buy another transport.

6 hours ago, greggyp said:

Hi All, I have a good electrical knowledge, rudimentary electronics, good computer etc

I am wondering why people would go and buy a 600 to 900 disc player for audio today ?

Seeing it is easy and cheap to get good quality DAC with various inputs, seems to me as long as the laser can read and output a digital signal, there is not much point in an expensive dedicated player ?

What am I missing.

PS as I no longer live in city, it is hard to even get Bluray players now, sales staff say no one wants players anymore, I guess they are all streaming, but in the case of AV I can see discs still may have an edge.

Some labels offer just CD and LP.. like ECM.  Choosing a high quality, vs something that just works,  CD player is then an easy choice, to properly hear what was recorded, and enjoy.

Another not so often mentioned aspect is that with CD you choose your own collection, you have responsibility for it meaning you can play any CD you have, at any time. Accompanying streaming services is their recommendations  often then being only what you hear, your freedom of choice, being replaced by recommendations.  Some may say that is a fine line, but for others being able to choose what to listen to based on your own actual made choice, is bliss.  

A great resource is to use either allmusic or Wikipedia to look up musicians. As for players there are still players being manufactured, but also thousands and thousands via the regular online sites, some with outstanding ability. like a Pioneer PDS904  , 

5 hours ago, deanB said:

I can't speak for anyone else but all of my music collection is cd's, so I need a cd player.

No you don't, I have piles of CDs, rip them as FLAC and add to your own streamer on your own network, so many free ones.

I will grab a disc sometimes when I cannot be bothered opening a tablet or phone  to stream...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stereo coffee said:

Some labels offer just CD and LP.. like ECM.  Choosing a high quality, vs something that just works,  CD player is then an easy choice, to properly hear what was recorded, and enjoy.

Another not so often mentioned aspect is that with CD you choose your own collection, you have responsibility for it meaning you can play any CD you have, at any time. Accompanying streaming services is their recommendations  often then being only what you hear, your freedom of choice, being replaced by recommendations.  Some may say that is a fine line, but for others being able to choose what to listen to based on your own actual made choice, is bliss.  

A great resource is to use either allmusic or Wikipedia to look up musicians. As for players there are still players being manufactured, but also thousands and thousands via the regular online sites, some with outstanding ability. like a Pioneer PDS904  , 

See reply above, anyway, even the net streaming services offer own playlists & easy searching, not even worth ripping own CD's

I can see it may suit some people, I was more coming from the tech aspect, not convenience, preference, nostalga etc...

Point taken re CD only music.

7 hours ago, muon* said:

The digital output of some players is abysmal, that's why we see a market for dedicated disk transports to pair with a DAC.

Even though Marantz/Philips players like mine have good transport mech's, apparently the square wave of the digital output of my Marantz and others like it is terrible without modifications. The i2s internal bus is good so as a player It's good in this respect.

So not all players are equal in many areas, both as stand alone players or as transports.

But if you need other inputs like USB of course you will get a dedicated DAC that has these, if not and you spin disks only like I do then a dedicated player can be a good option.

But new between those prices may not get you there.

Edit: also, your definition of a good dac may not be the same as someone else's definition of a good dac.

Thanks for this and the others who replied.

I guess the digital signal could be corrupted by various means, I was assuming most moderate decent names would test the digital output so it is acceptable.

I can see how different DACs may do different jobs from same source.

I consider a good DAC one that allows me to enjoy the music & not have a poor sound :)  I guess that is another argument, I am probably not that fussy, when I listen to music, I am not critically listening our for flaws in any of the gear, at a certain point, I would accept it as pretty decent & not see any point in spending more for far less % return.

I guess I know what there are many CD players still for sale.

Now, where do you go to work out if one is any good ?  I was thinking of a used Cambridge unit...but it may be better to buy a new unit, one I mull  it over some more.

14 minutes ago, greggyp said:

No you don't, I have piles of CDs, rip them as FLAC and add to your own streamer on your own network, so many free ones.

I will grab a disc sometimes when I cannot be bothered opening a tablet or phone  to stream...lol

Been there and done that with a PC and modded hi res DAC.

No more ripping for me ever, and I'll give up this hobby before I start doing that again or start streaming in any way.

And my choice has nothing to do with nostalgia, and I don't mind getting off my bum to change a CD, and I get up to adjust volume too! 🤣

• Like 5

Just now, RankStranger said:

in my opinion, there is no hifi without these things

Funny how different people can be, I have little interest in that aspect, I would be more happy if I can get AI to reliably play what I want when I want in whatever room etc I am in by saying it to my phone.

I have piles of CD's and Records, most would have been played once, I used to record all so nothing got scratched, still have boxes of once played records, my CDs have been ripped though mostly, may even make a copy of the disc for ones I want on hand.

One day they will be worth millions !!!  ha ha  I noticed some time ago records are worth zilch, I did not even know it was such a thing again, what is old is new again, shows I am old !

19 minutes ago, greggyp said:

Thanks for this and the others who replied.

I guess the digital signal could be corrupted by various means, I was assuming most moderate decent names would test the digital output so it is acceptable.

I can see how different DACs may do different jobs from same source.

I consider a good DAC one that allows me to enjoy the music & not have a poor sound :)  I guess that is another argument, I am probably not that fussy, when I listen to music, I am not critically listening our for flaws in any of the gear, at a certain point, I would accept it as pretty decent & not see any point in spending more for far less % return.

I guess I know what there are many CD players still for sale.

Now, where do you go to work out if one is any good ?  I was thinking of a used Cambridge unit...but it may be better to buy a new unit, one I mull  it over some more.

Buying new would be expensive for me to attain the sound I want, that's why I have an old player that I have invested $900 in parts modifying it.

It really does depend on the sound you want, and for myself that has changed over time with this hobby.

Honestly, there is no right or wrong way to approach this hobby, just different ways that suit different individuals :)

Edited by muon*
typo
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, greggyp said:

Funny how different people can be, I have little interest in that aspect, I would be more happy if I can get AI to reliably play what I want when I want in whatever room etc I am in by saying it to my phone.

I have piles of CD's and Records, most would have been played once, I used to record all so nothing got scratched, still have boxes of once played records, my CDs have been ripped though mostly, may even make a copy of the disc for ones I want on hand.

One day they will be worth millions !!!  ha ha  I noticed some time ago records are worth zilch, I did not even know it was such a thing again, what is old is new again, shows I am old !

aren’t we all :)

I ripped all my CDs and got rid of my player nearly 10 years ago and I’ve sworn off vinyl twice but i still have all my CDs and records and I’m planning on getting another turntable and maybe even a CD transport. Because it’s "better?" No, but there’s apparently something about it I miss because I can’t just settle with my excellent streamer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

aren’t we all :)

I ripped all my CDs and got rid of my player nearly 10 years ago and I’ve sworn off vinyl twice but i still have all my CDs and records and I’m planning on getting another turntable and maybe even a CD transport. Because it’s "better?" No, but there’s apparently something about it I miss because I can’t just settle with my excellent streamer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Lol.......  who needs solid reasons to have more toys or enjoy what they want, I guess some are lucky if they have others around them that are tolerant or enjoy same :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, muon* said:

Been there and done that with a PC and modded hi res DAC.

No more ripping for me ever, and I'll give up this hobby before I start doing that again or start streaming in any way.

And my choice has nothing to do with nostalgia, and I don't mind getting off my bum to change a CD, and I get up to adjust volume too! 🤣

I am always standing pretty much, actually, I can hardly remember sitting down to listen to anything in last 6 months, I have at times to close my eyes and listen to the soundstage & difference between speakers and amps.

I used to build computers when you had to know what you were doing, as I type I am upgrading some laptops, imaging a disc & config on a PI & setting up some other stuff, as I do this & answer emails....

Point being, ripping and storage and other IT stuff is second nature to me, I have no objection to anyones way to enjoy what they want, as long as you like it, that is all that matters.... I am enjoying all the possibilities tech has brought.

57 minutes ago, greggyp said:

I am always standing pretty much, actually, I can hardly remember sitting down to listen to anything in last 6 months, I have at times to close my eyes and listen to the soundstage & difference between speakers and amps.

I used to build computers when you had to know what you were doing, as I type I am upgrading some laptops, imaging a disc & config on a PI & setting up some other stuff, as I do this & answer emails....

Point being, ripping and storage and other IT stuff is second nature to me, I have no objection to anyones way to enjoy what they want, as long as you like it, that is all that matters.... I am enjoying all the possibilities tech has brought.

Did the PC tech support thing too, but on a more casual basis and only for around 10 years, also had been down the water cooling and overclocking stuff before there were WC kits like today.

Got bored with computers so for the last 15 years have avoid working on any except my own where I can these days.

Hated working on laptops, often had too many screws left over after a dismantle and reassemble :lol:

Edited by muon*
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, greggyp said:

Ripping? That's double handling for zero gain when the music is already stored on the cd. Streamer, dac, network, tablet are all surplus to requirements for playing music when I already have a cd player.

• Like 2

A few years ago I picked up a new Vincent CD-S4 at half price, stonking player for the $600 I paid for it, but my 1995 CAL-15 used to blow it away, but alas it is now not very well at all.

I am in the process of repurposing a 7+ year old laptop to use as a digi front end into my Denafrips Ares II, I'll still play CDs and records, just another media and tech to make use of. 

• Like 1