1080p Atmos solutions

Hi guys,

I had 4 B&W CCM 684s installed on Friday to complement my existing B&W system. (NADT778 receiver)

But I've been unable to get music or atmos tracks out of them. This is because (it seems)

• BluOS App doesn't play atmos. 2 channel only
  • using an app like Tidal or Amazon Music through the phone uses Bluetooth so not enough bandwidth?
  • I have a 1080p projector
  • Limitations of the Fire TV 4k stick I use to stream media.

I've asked similar questions in other forums but I wanted to check here.

If I purchase a Shield TV will it solve my problems and allow me to install a Music App that plays atmos, and stream Atmos videos despite my projector being 1080p?

Is this correct or will I continue to run into problems?

The alternative I've been looking at are bluRay but I'm not sure that will solve the issue...plus I prefer streaming to physical media and can't see myself building up much of a collection.

I'm already well over capitalised with this system and can't justify another $3k to upgrade the projector atm when the image quality is fine. I just want to hear music out of these height speakers and sound effects from movies!!

Cheers Carl

50 minutes ago, djackal said:

BluOS App doesn't play atmos. 2 channel only

Yes, BluOS is only for stereo music, with no plans for MCH (when I asked a few years ago, maybe they have changed??)

50 minutes ago, djackal said:

If I purchase a Shield TV will it solve my problems and allow me to install a Music App that plays atmos, and stream Atmos videos despite my projector being 1080p?

If the box, feeding your T778, can adjust the video to 1080p, it should work in your setup.  I have no hands on experience with the Shield TV, but I read that it can handle Atmos.  However, I have used BD players and media players (e.g. Zidoo) and all of them work with 1080p  displays.

53 minutes ago, djackal said:

The alternative I've been looking at are bluRay but I'm not sure that will solve the issue...plus I prefer streaming to physical media and can't see myself building up much of a collection.

I think your quest for Atmos music from the streaming services will end in disappointment.  So-called Atmos music from Tidal appears to be no more than applying  the T778 setting Neural X to the music.  Yes, you get sound from the surround and ceiling channels, but the tracks have not been mixed specifically for Atmos nor multi-channel (MCH).  While I have not heard Amazon or Apple's equivalent, I would expect their tracks to be of a similar Atmos quality.   To me, Atmos on streaming services is a marketing gimmick.

In you want music that has been specially mixed for Atmos, you will have to buy BluRay discs.  This list is from a forum dedicated to MCH music, anything rated 9 is excellent.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedPollChart.htm

image.png.ba22967bd0d8b4c9ea757fce0b8900d0.png

Proper Atmos albums are limited, though they have been coming out more often in the past few years.

Thanks Snoop. 

That's interesting about the audio quality for music (disk vs streaming). I hadn't really considered music streaming just video. Maybe with faster internet speeds and companies like Sony bring out their own Atmos type tracks then streaming 3d music becomes a thing?

I just don't understand what the 1080p has to do with it though? I would like to listen to music with projector off. 

I was thinking a box that connects to the receiver and is controllable by an App? But perhaps the Nvidia isn't that solution anyway?

I'm also researching some HD Fury type devices but they are not cheap...

Also, just so it's clear if I was to upgrade projector it would all work fine? The projectors I've been keeping tabs on are all 'pixel shifters' Epson 3800/7100 and BenQ 850. Would these also block Atmos playing? 

I'm getting paranoid now as I've spent a heap of dough on this set up already and I don't want to through more money away!

16 minutes ago, djackal said:

I just don't understand what the 1080p has to do with it though? I would like to listen to music with projector off. 

I didn't realise you wanted to switch off the projector.  I assume you want to listen to music concerts (does not make sense for movies).  It can be done on some devices, with audio only, but others will not work. Have to test on an individual device.

I think you are chasing this Atmos rabbit for the sake of it. There are not many good Atmos music concerts...

I fear that you might be right. 

To be clear, the reason for atmos was movies and that is still priority 1. However a few people have said that 3d sounds is great, so is love to hear it.

This NAD sounds pretty good with the pm1s in stereo and the majority of the time I'll listen in stereo. But I still want to know what this sound bubble thing is like lol

16 minutes ago, djackal said:

This NAD sounds pretty good with the pm1s in stereo and the majority of the time I'll listen in stereo. But I still want to know what this sound bubble thing is like lol

Try Yello Point (Dolby Atmos Edition) BD.

Or you can buy this Atmos version of my favourite album online:

https://shop.2l.no/products/magnificat-nidarosdomen?variant=40407860641975

Suggest you also try Neural X on the T778. 

35 minutes ago, djackal said:

However a few people have said that 3d sounds is great, so is love to hear it.

I think people are referring to ambience rather than 3D. There are not many recordings  produced as Atmos and even fewer recorded in "3D".

From my understanding not all streaming devices support Atmos on all services. Apple TV does, recently got a Chromecast with Google Tv which appears to as well. Even then there isn't a whole lot of Atmos streamed movies and bandwidth will play a part in it as well as its a lot of data.

Check what your device supports. I mainly relay on physical media for Atmos being 4K. Some Bluray discs have it.

5 hours ago, djackal said:

I fear that you might be right. 

To be clear, the reason for atmos was movies and that is still priority 1. However a few people have said that 3d sounds is great, so is love to hear it.

Understand there is a difference between audio that has been expanded to multichannel by a dsp [like snoopy said ]  which isnt true atmos and the real thing ie music mixed as atmos and released on disc as snoopys list above said .

It costs money for the original sound engineer to remix a 2ch track to an atmos mix so is a factor in getting the real thing [and if the recording engineer deems it worthy] . A dsp mode like DSU or DTS Neural X  cannot impart object surround steering like an atmos track [its just a new algorithm  replacing pl2x dts neo etc]  and in any case your NAD can upmix with its own  dsp - just like Tidal apparently does..  And its the cheapest alternative that will also activate your ceilings speakers ..

Appreciate too that hdmi requires each component to communicate with each other through their edids and some ce's follow this to the letter and others read these "specs" differently ; this is why we have ce's that fix comms between devices like hd fury ..  So devices like hd fury doctor may or may not be needed :classic_smile: It can also fool the hdmi chain that something is 'on" like an epson when it is in fact "off" -if needed at all..

Dr HDMI 4K | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

Thanks cwt. I will probably end up being forced to buy one of these boxes I think. Will wait until black Friday sales to see what is being offered. 

Also I tested neural and enhanced stereo last night. Much prefer enhanced stereo. It just sounded like being at a concert and sounds were in sync so works well. 

So it's only movies I'm going to worry about! 

FWIW I run a Shield Pro through an Integra 50.6 (with the atmos update) out to a 1080p TV without any issues whatsoever. Netflix atmos movies have come through fine, the only issue I had was with Kodi and turning on some additional passthrough options for TrueHD.

Otherwise there's no issues at all with it being output to a 1080p device whilst I decide what 4K screen to buy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Just an update for anyone interested in a similar situation. 

I can confirm that after installing an ezcoo hdmi splitter that I bought off Amazon us, I can now get atmos soundtracks using the fire stick 4k.

At this stage its worked on a few Disney plus flicks (solo, wreck it Ralph) and a prime series (Tom Clancy one, can't recall the name). 

Anyhow it appears that the internet was correct and that by sticking the splitter to the 4k out from the nad t778 and configuring appropriately, the fire stick is tricked into thinking that my 1080p projector is 4k so streams the Dolby vision /atmos data rather than a lower quality set of data. 

Super stoked. Shame the kids don't care and more interested in YouTube on their gadgets!