Which Source Shall Reign Supreme?

Jay Garrett

Best Audio Format  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Volunteer

@Elite Audio UK is staging an Ultimate Audio Shoot-Out on Satuday, November 27th where tracks will be played in different formats in order for visitors to vote which sounded best.

Which will win - Reel to Reel, Cassette, CD, Vinyl, or Streaming?

FInd out more here -> https://www.stereonet.com/uk/news/elite-audio-stages-source-shoot-out

Edited by Jay Garrett
Added poll
  • Like 1

"Listeners will judge between reel-to-reel, cassette, vinyl, cd and streaming — during blind test runs. 

The Elite team will be playing Miles Davis Kind Of Blue, Dire Straits On Every Street and Love Over Gold and Dave Brubeck's Time Out on all formats throughout the day (10am–4pm)."

Some quick Google searching tells me:

• The Miles Davis album is from 1959. (That was decidedly before the digital audio era.)
  • The Dire Straits album  On Every Street album is from 1991, and appears to have been recorded digitally. Am not sure about the Love Over Gold album recorded in 1982. (Could have used tape.)
  • The Dave Brubeck is 1959 vintage.

The above selection of albums strikes me as heavily biased towards the analogue era.

How do you prepare a CD version of a 1959 album?  By fishing out decades old magnetic tape and remastering?   By playing a vinyl pressing in good condition and recording the analogue signal?

This seems an odd sort of listening exercise to me from a technical viewpoint.   However, no doubt it will provide a touch of nostalgia for many of the listeners.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MLXXX said:

How do you prepare a CD version of a 1959 album?  By fishing out decades old magnetic tape and remastering?   By playing a vinyl pressing in good condition and recording the analogue signal?

Just had a quick look and it seems the CD was released around 2000.

Some of the LP's and some remastered close to a decade later.

I'm sure there there is no need to try a capture a record playing. :)

Also thought there are some great sounding CD's out there that are mastered off analogue recordings/tapes.

Edited by rocky500

10 hours ago, rocky500 said:

I'm sure there there is no need to try a capture a record playing. :)

Perhaps it will become clear how the 1959 albums were digitised. Hopefully it was from studio magnetic tape and not from  33 1/3 rpm discs.

I don’t think streaming is a format, it’s a delivery mechanism. To me it would make more sense to replace Streaming and CD with compressed digital, Red Book digital and hi-res digital in the poll.

I bypassed the upcoming test and just answered the title's question.  No doubt in my mind, much as I am a a dedicated vinyl enthusiast, I still believe fully digital formats delivered via the "internet" (whatever form that takes),  must ultimately win.