Opinions on this Power Cable sold on Amazon?

On 09/11/2021 at 7:01 AM, Weka said:

The majority of appliances imported and distributed by reputable companies will have compliant plug and cord assemblies as the financial costs of product recalls and legal penalties can run into the millions if the Regulatory Authorities should catch them out.

The main problem lies with non-compliant and/or counterfeit products imported direct by individuals and small businesses that are then on-sold to the general public with no assurance as to product quality or safety. It would appear that the Authorities have bigger fish to fry or lack the resources to police this aspect.

They just close up shop and rebirth under a different name.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/news-and-updates/news/infinity-electrical-cable-safety-recall

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 2:08 AM, muon* said:

No idea.

Just thought screening would help if close to signal cables, and reject EMI and RFI better.

Yes, I would have thought that was the whole purpose.

I believe you have to pay over $500 before one gets into Isotek's screened models.

A classic example of what a rort many of these overpriced kettle cords are!

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 12:21 AM, deepthought said:

Possibly this sort of thing:

That's a fair price for the value of components used and labour/overheads to assemble.

It should though, have a 15A 3 pin plug fitted to achieve the 16A rating of the C19 IEC connector (not 18A as claimed).

45 minutes ago, Weka said:

That's a fair price for the value of components used and labour/overheads to assemble.

It should though, have a 15A 3 pin plug fitted to achieve the 16A rating of the C19 IEC connector (not 18A as claimed).

how many residential  houses 🏘 have 15 amp power point's fitted,the only difference is the large earth pin on the 15 amp plug,also the 18 amp rating is just showing what the actual cable is rated at.

32 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

how many residential  houses 🏘 have 15 amp power point's fitted, the only difference is the large earth pin on the 15 amp plug, also the 18 amp rating is just showing what the actual cable is rated at.

It's the complete cord assembly rating that's important - in this case 10A based on the 3 pin plug fitted.

Your advertised rating of 18A based on the capacity of the cable used could be construed as misleading.

Which begs the question of why fit a 16A C19 connector if the cord is not legally rated to deliver 16A?

6 minutes ago, Weka said:

It's the complete cord assembly rating that's important - in this case 10A based on the 3 pin plug fitted.

Your advertised rating of 18A based on the capacity of the cable used could be construed as misleading.

Which begs the question of why fit a 16A C19 connector if the cord is not legally rated to deliver 16A?

cff0ff148a45f7f3aaba2c1f7d086e42.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Weka said:

Yes, I would have thought that was the whole purpose.

I believe you have to pay over $500 before one gets into Isotek's screened models.

A classic example of what a rort many of these overpriced kettle cords are!

Best you stick to using standard kettle cords then.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:17 PM, deepthought said:

https://testtagoutlet.com.au/tag-regulations

What is the Test and Tag Process?
The testing and tagging process should consist of the following steps

An external inspection of the equipment and the connecting facilities checking for obvious damage or defects
Protective earth continuity test for Class I equipment (basic insulated, protectively earthed equipment), power boards and power cords
Insulation testing, which may be achieved by measuring insulation resistance or leakage current
Confirmation of the correct polarity of live connections

On 09/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, Addicted to music said:

correct,   

it relies on companies to self regulate and ensure they use the compliant standards…

Ever seen them do Test and Tag, it’s a rort,  to forced a company to test and tag every 6-9mths is revenue generation for an industry that’s created….  I’ve watched these guys do them and I would not  put my signature on some of the stuff they pass because they stick it into a machine that tells them it’s passed a specific test…And when you go on construction sites that’s strict on ensuring your gear is tested and tagged because it has a label wrapped around a cord without checking the condition just to show how silly it really is.. as long as that label isn’t expired it’s all good!  

this is what I received after  I dropped a piece equipment into the office so test and tag can be done.   
Like I said earlier in a post,  these guys that are authorised to do this and do it on a quantity base to get max revenue,  this is what was passed!   Most don’t have an electrical qualification, they sit for a course, pass a test, learn how to operate the instrument, get issue a card to say they are qualified!  When a piece of equipment is tested and tagged, inspect the cable yourself for physical damage and wear and tear….   The main thing and the most  important, is look for wear and tear and physical damage because this is a safety hazard   You’ll know when it’s electrically unsafe!  And look where they have placed the tag, it’s not that you’ll missed the issue! 

D5C5EF69-82B2-48A2-86A9-4986A8803741.jpeg

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 075Congo said:

Wow! That took 3 pages of input to reach the conclusion that the power cord is a piece of CRAP!

Even after all the discussion I wouldn’t put it pass someone with the will to try!
Even if it was clearly illegal to sell and use in Australia!  No amount of logic can deter someone with the will, even though there are no benefits in terms of electronics/electrical engineering to be gained; very typical for audio forums.

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

this is what I received after  I dropped a piece equipment into the office so test and tag can be done.   
Like I said earlier in a post,  these guys that are authorised to do this and do it on a quantity base to get max revenue,  this is what was passed!   Most don’t have an electrical qualification, they sit for a course, pass a test, learn how to operate the instrument, get issue a card to say they are qualified!  When a piece of equipment is tested and tagged, inspect the cable yourself for physical damage and wear and tear….   The main thing and the most  important, is look for wear and tear and physical damage because this is a safety hazard   You’ll know when it’s electrically unsafe!  And look where they have placed the tag, it’s not that you’ll missed the issue! 

D5C5EF69-82B2-48A2-86A9-4986A8803741.jpeg

I trust you have cut the plug off that damaged lead so that it cannot be used and potentially injure someone.

What action have you taken to report this to your management so as to ensure the safety of your co-workers at the office should any other items have not been tested correctly?

Have you reported this obviously inept person to the authorities that licensed him so as to ensure his competence is reviewed and he is censured accordingly so this does not occur at other workplaces?

Do report back to us all on what action you have taken as a responsible citizen and what the final outcome is.

On 09/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, Addicted to music said:

...Ever seen them do Test and Tag, it’s a rort,  to forced a company to test and tag every 6-9mths is revenue generation for an industry that’s created….  I’ve watched these guys do them and I would not  put my signature on some of the stuff they pass because they stick it into a machine that tells them it’s passed a specific test…And when you go on construction sites that’s strict on ensuring your gear is tested and tagged because it has a label wrapped around a cord without checking the condition just to show how silly it really is.. as long as that label isn’t expired it’s all good!  

When test+tag was introduced (for commercial environments) it was initially heavy-handed, requiring each electrical device to be tested a minimal of annually.  It was then revised so that electrical devices that are not disturbed in their use (ie, not plugged in/out or moved) only need to be test+tagged once.  Items that are moved and/or are in hazardous environments need to be on the test+tag schedule because they have the potential to be damaged in their normal use. 

It is a problem that even though a person might be deemed to be "a competent person" by passing the test+tag course, they might not be conscientious in their application when they do the test+tagging of devices.  The majority of items that fail the test+tag will fail at the visual inspection stage, before the electrical test is performed.  However, it is quite evident that many test+taggers don't do a competent visual inspection, because it takes time (and time is money and also more effort). 

An electrical test+tag of a cordset will check polarity (it's wired correctly), and insulated correctly.  The visual inspection checks for damage of the cord and connectors.  Note that a cordset that is made with connectors that are not certified to Aus/NZ standards (eg. a Chinese plug) could pass the test+tag electrical test.