The best things about records is...

rockpig

The sound - how can something so primitive sound so great. Still the best sounding recorded format.

The feel

The experience 

Who doesn't like 12 inches in their hands

Big enough to enjoy the cover art, hold it and enjoy the lyrics if u want to.

The feeling of smugness and happiness to say I have that on vinyl,  or better

I have an original UK pressing of that.

A format that demands your attention. Vinyl is not for background music.

There is magic in them grooves. 😍

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 14
  • Love 2

the discipline and mindfulness it inherently imposes. it gets you move involved, more invested 

you're mindful with: your investment in music releases, what you want to put on, what you have playing, the set-up and condition of your physical gear and media

this is no plug-and-play walk away sugar fix

• Like 5
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

The impossibility of it- listening to electricity generated from the microscopic undulating walls of a near invisible groove

this 

and that the conceptual solution and application is elegant, simple and has remained fundamentally consistent all these years.  we still see a healthy degree of  variety in the approaches brought to play plus maintain forward/backward, cross-brand, etc., interoperability within the format

Apart from being the ultimate form of physical media that you can actually own, it is the last bulwark against soul-less subscription streaming where you own nothing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The impressive look of my 4000 strong LP collection filling an entire wall in my library, and me being able to find the one I want because of my catalogue on my phone.

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

The feeling of smugness and happiness to say I have that on vinyl,  or better

I have an original UK pressing of that.

and also knowing they can't have that (vinyl original pressing) just by downloading a pirate copy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Volunteer
38 minutes ago, rantan said:

Apart from being the ultimate form of physical media that you can actually own, it is the last bulwark against soul-less subscription streaming where you own nothing.

Lack of ownership is nourishing for the soul. 
Ownership is illusory. Ephemeral and transient it slips away.  

Boomshanka - peace and mungbeans

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

One thing I used to love when taking a new record out of it's sleeve, was the smell of it.. They don't seem to smell the same these days..

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The ritual of playing a record. 

Holding the miraculous platter by the edges and peering at the label, then flipping it over to the other side while celebrating the light dancing over the grooves as you do so, waiting as the delicate tonearm lowers, anticipating the sound of the styli making contact with the lead in groove - the Eagle has landed - prepare for the magic carpet ride...

• Like 5
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

One thing I used to love when taking a new record out of it's sleeve, was the smell of it.. They don't seem to smell the same these days..

Most of my Lifeline bookfest finds smelled of mildew and too long in the back garage :) 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, audiofeline said:

Holding the miraculous platter by the edges and peering at the label,

I actually started playing records before I learnt to read.    On 45s (no sleeve with pictures) the only way I could select my favourites was by the label, and distinguishing marks on it.  So yeah,  I often peered closely at the labels  :)   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Of course it's illusory - you all don't exist except as figments of my imagination.  I can't own something when it's all created in my head anyway.  :) 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Of course it's illusory - you all don't exist except as figments of my imagination.  I can't own something when it's all created in my head anyway.  :) 

But would life be better if more people took ownership of some of the rubbish that they create in their head?  They own the copyright of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Then I'm going to keep my soul impoverished rather than pay short term rent, which is also ephemeral and transient as it slips away at the end of the song.:laugh:

• Like 4
1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

C’mon Trev, property rights are a spiritual gift. Ask our PM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, John0001 said:

Browsing the racks at your favourite record store haunts and heading home on the tram with that happy find...

Yes, and that incredible moment when you flip a record in the rack to reveal some amazing disk - and now you have the opportunity to actually hold a copy in your hand.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, rockpig said:

So I saw the thread "The worst thing about vinyl is......." and thought a positive light was needed.

Take your best shot.

I'm confused. 

This topic - "The best things about records is..." - was created to be the companion to this topic - "The worst thing about vinyl is.......". 

But the two topics are about two entirely different things....

• Haha 1

This philosophical diversion is not easing my existential angst. 
Fortunately the engagement with the vinyl record does!

I do appreciate what others have mentioned, the wonder of it all still amazes me and I love the extra creativity expressed via the cover art, lyric sheets and booklets. 
I don’t have heaps of records, but I do have a collection that goes back over 45 years of my life now, so it also a strong connection to my interest and my own personal journey over all of those years. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Lockdown and the southern climate has finally done it hasn't it, you've cracked.

Vinyl pleasure is now the unreachable goal for your type, sure you've got a TT but...it's just not digital enough is it.

*You could try a fully automatic TT which also loads four LP'S and has auto stop and lift. The closest thing a digital slave will ever get to digital analogue. No ephemera there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, Luc said:

*You could try a fully automatic TT which also loads four LP'S and has auto stop and lift. The closest thing a digital slave will ever get to digital analogue. No ephemera there!

I was playing a 5 LP set the other night at a dinner party.  They were stacked on a Garrard AT6 changer that was suitably tweaked and sporting an AT3600 magnetic cartridge to play the LPs 5 sides at a time without intervention.

• Like 3