Adelaide Speakers/Artisan Speakers

SOLD
Item Condition: In excellent condition. As new.
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.
Suburb or Town: Eden Hills
State: SA
Payment Method: Cash on pickup
Reason for selling: Financial reasons

Further information:

Ascension Speakers

So this is going to hurt but there are choices in life we make. Unfortunately I’m at a crossroads and I have to let my speakers go which I’m definitely not looking forward to. If I had the choice they would not leave my home. I’ve sold my Dyns recently and the Dynaudio stands online. Not here but on another platform. All went well, thank you to all the people who replied to my ad.

The speakers I’m selling here are the Atisan design from Adelaide Speakers (manufacturer of loud speakers) or Ascension Speakers as this speaker manufacturer can also be known by. Adelaide Speakers is a two man operation, Edward is the founder and sole owner. The other party is the cabinet maker). So I conducted research online and contacted Edward many times in the last 5 years just gathering information and slowly building my knowledge of drivers, crossovers and cabinets that make up the majority of a speaker. And finally after what felt like an eternity I took the plunge on a design and build of my speakers. I contacted Edward back in early 2019 and we were on. My speakers he said would be ready in a couple of months. I took delivery of them in July 2019.

I’ll do my best to describe the speakers below which is basically a bespoke speaker to my specifications. But if I’m not articulate enough in my descriptions forgive me as I am not a professional reviewer. If you have any further questions please DM me and I will do my best to answer your questions.

(Just a side note, I had promised Edward that I would write him a review but never got round to it which I truly feel guilty for but let this write up be a ‘thank you’ from me)

The speakers as I stated above are the artisan design. Edward describes them on his website, actually there’s an image of my speakers on his website under heading Artisan A1093SQTL. They are on the far right of the screen in gloss black.

His description below.

Description: This flagship Artisan fluted floorstander makes a strong style statement.  Like a column out of a medieval cathedral, yet strikingly modern or even Art Deco, it has vertically fluted, curved sides and is finished in piano black and Blackwood -- unique! The cabinet is much more inert and has a surprisingly big sound stage and extended musical bass with its practical Transmission Line design, and the sort of refined studio performance you would expect after seeing its beautiful stylish appearance. This speaker is a further refinement of the design using a new range of drivers. It is fast, accurate, extended, and above all, has that wonderful quality of faithfully, lucidly recreating a live sound stage to envelope you in either a stereo or home theatre system.  Huge presence, efficient, clean and accurate, fabulous bass, these Artisans are comparable to and more natural sounding than other brands costing much more. A refined audiophile experience.

My description

In my opinion Edward’s description above is of the standard Artisan design but without the drivers I chose. The drivers and crossover in this speaker cost almost twice that of the standard drivers Edward installs in his artisan series. The drivers are from a company called SB Acoustics, they’re designed by the best Denmark engineers, from Scanspeak originally. Basically it was a split off group of engineers from Scanspeak that formed their own company.

The transducers I chose in my speakers are the reference grade from SB Acoustics called the Satori range. They’re the Satori SS Ring radiator tweeter and Satori 5" mid and Satori 9.5" bass driver.

The cabinets are in my opinion just beautiful to look at. I love the way the cabinet maker has geometrical shapes cut into the design. For instance there is no ninety degree angle anywhere on the cabinet except at the very back. Every angle has a bevelled edge which I find so appealing, yet the top and bottom plates are not geometric but curved. The artisan design is not just for looks it reinforces the cabinet to create an almost inert enclosure. Each driver sits within its own enclosure in the cabinet. The baffle is a padded black leather to reduce standing waves. In my opinion the holistic approach to the design smacks of 1930s monument like piece of furniture that will sit perfectly in the foyer of the Chrysler Building in NY.

Sound

To put it quite simply this is a musical speaker. What it isn’t is analytical, but that doesn’t mean that it is not revealing. The best part was burning it in and finding out how the sound changed and broadened with depth and detail every week. They have now settled and it is a wonderful experience just sitting there playing track after track. I have them towed in as you will see in the images. This may be an effect of my room which is 6.5m x 4.3m but the imaging is much better when towed in. I have the Rotel RC 1590 Pre amp and RB 1582Mk2 power amp running them. I’ve connected them with several differing amps in the past. All I can say is that they scale well. Feed them quality source and power and they will give you tonnes of listening pleasure back at you.

For instance, I ran them with a vintage Marantz amp from the 70’s and then a Moon Simaudio 50W integrated amp. The 70’s amp just didn’t have the juice to give them a real chance at sounding anywhere decent. As for the Moon amp, it had the sound stage I liked but it lacked imaging and real detail in the mid and high frequencies. And then the Rotels, oh wow. It’s amazing what a decent pre and power amp can do for your listening experience. Now I’m not saying that Rotel is the be all and end all in amplification but this was the limit of my budget at the time of purchasing. Rotel is great bang for buck.

I improved the sound where possible, for instance I ran power through the Isotek Aquarius power conditioner. This alone gave the speaker a smoother richer sound. My CD and streaming source is the Oppo 105D. Turn table is a Pioneer from the 80’s which was upgraded by a close friend of mine. As for interconnects I imported the Morrow Audio MA2  Interconnects, and lastly I upgraded my Speaker cables to the Audioquest Rocket 33’s from a standard Japanese cable that I bought years ago. Now I understand that there is quite a lot of contention out there concerning cable sound and its benefits. But I’m in the yes it does work camp. And I will not apologise for it, I have conducted my own A to B testing and I do hear the difference.

I normally play through Tidal master quality which is my go to these days as it does sound good through the Oppo Dac. So to break down my experience with them I can honestly say that sometimes they take my breath away. For instance when playing Dear Stop by Goldfrapp, violins chime in at the beginning of the track, but then you’re greeted by the gorgeous voice that is Alison Goldfrapp which enters the room and completely drags you into her embrace. She is dead centre, the Artisan’s doing their magic to bring her into the room right there with you. The imaging is perfectly balanced, it’s like the sound is coming from a single cloth. Her voice is like butter, exactly the right amount of emotion to keep you hooked. It is an eerie track but it exemplifies the mid driver and tweeter doing their thing to bring the track to life. The sound stage is not huge with this track but that’s not what the producer intended, its meant to be intimate, and the Artisans deliver. The nuance is there, but without any sibilance from the tweeter. Just a quick note, the tweeter is a soft dome tweeter. It has the right amount of dynamic range and detail for my liking. Those of you who are looking for an extremely analytical tweeter, well this speaker is not for you. As I stated before, it does reveal the right amount of detail and nuance in any recording. The tweeter only reveals what you feed it nothing more nothing less. There is no colour to the sound, it is natural. The mid-range complements the tweeter immensely and they play beautifully together. Its harmony. The mid range driver has the flecks in the cone as you will see in the images, this is part of the design from SB Acoustics to get the right rigidity in the transducer.  

If you’re looking for dynamism, then look no further than Thomas Newman’s The Night Window from the sound track to 1917. The Artisan’s pick up the quiet orchestral nuance in the beginning of the track which ever so delicately reaches an ever expanding crescendo. Be careful cause if you turn it up thinking its not high enough you’ll find that it’ll lift the iron sheets off the roof by the end of the track. The sound stage is huge on this track which the Artisan’s render so well. During the crescendo’s the woofer is working hard and It will shake your windows if you keep the volume up at 70. The woofer will take you down deep, as deep as you want. But it won’t produce bass that isn’t there, I’ve had some folks ask why it hasn’t got the bass they hear on a song they play in a car stereo. The Artisan’s will only play bass that is in the track you play it, it will not fake it for you. This is why I play them music like The Night Window, to show them it does have it. I had a fairly good subwoofer attached to my system a year ago. It was the Dynaudio Sub 6. A good subwoofer but it pressurised my room way too much. And plus it just got in the way of the woofers in the Artisan. The bass experience also depends on where you’re at in the room. Sit up closer and you’ll get chest pounding bass. Sit at the back of the room and you’ll get deep bass with wide sound stage. This is a reflection of the room acoustics, It is not a fault of the Artisan’s. I so desperately wanted to treat my room acoustically but alas I ran out of the dough to do it, which would have taken the experience to another level. Treating your room is half the battle to better sound. But even then this couldn’t take my pleasure away from listening to these.  

Lastly if you’re looking for that get up and move your body track, then Moderat’s Versions will set the pace. The Artisans have the right amount of decay, while clearly giving excellent rhythm to the track.

A mention for the jazz buffs is the track Strings of Light from the very talented Yussef Kamaal. All those crazy little details emanating from this instrumental is beautifully imaged in the room. The trumpeter Yelfris Valdes is there in the centre of the room while the drum player Yussef Dayes is to the right of stage and with bass guitarist playing makes the stage go deep behind the walls. Just awesome. This is just one track off the album Black Focus, the whole album sounds great on the Artisans.     

So my only regret is that I couldn’t purchase a tube amp or a more expensive solid state amp to experience them at their very best. Like I said, they scale up if you have the better gear to feed it. I hope they go to a good home where that someone will appreciate them for what they are, a moment in time when a brilliant sound engineer built a one off masterpiece. They are worth many times the price I paid for them. There is not a blemish on these speakers, they are as perfect as the day they were delivered, they are in micky condition. And I will add, I have not mistreated them in any way. If you were to ask me as to what they are closest to in respect to other speaker manufacturers, I would have to say they are close to Dynaudio’s Countour 30i but more dynamic. But then again nuances are important, it’s hard to say. I must say though, I've never had a visitor leave unsatisfied with a listening session. They all ask to come back for another session.

By the way if you’re wondering what’s in the glass its Bethany Old Quarry Tawny. Not an expensive port but still very nice on a cool night. I do like my ports, but I also drink a scotch on occasion. One i like is Monkey Shoulder, a nice drop….. and yes I do drink out of crystal glasses. I used to hate the things when we were given them as wedding presents 25 years ago. I couldn’t wait to chuck them out in the bin, all they did was take up space in the cupboard. Boxes of crystal here there and everywhere. I sold them or chucked them out when the wife wasn’t looking. I must have brain worms now cause I actively look out for them, collecting them wherever possible, scrounging around my parents and mother in laws house hunting for them. It must be an age thingy. Or I’m a  m_r_n. I think the latter term aptly describes me.

Specifications

Finish: Fluted semi-gloss piano black
Cabinet: 1240h x 350w x 415d transmission line cabinet
Power Handling: 190 wrms
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 22 -- 30,000 Hertz +/-2dB with gradual roll-off giving usable response below 20Hz
Sensitivity: 92 dB 1w/1m

Weight 60kg

Thank you Edward for this marvelous creation. It was so good while it lasted. I'll be like that guy who met that girl from Amsterdam. Bunked up with her for a year in complete bliss, but then she leaves Oz and was never able to get her out of my head. This feels similar. I've sat here many a night with the Artisans sipping port savouring every moment.  They suck you in and mesmerise you for hours. Never fatiguing but just enveloping you in comfort. Especially when it's quiet outside. I play them mostly at night when the kids are in bed and the wife is asleep on the couch after she's binged 5 hours of "my kitchen Bondi wife swap",  Ahh bellissimo..! (To my beautiful wife, I do love you honey but I need my man cave almost as much as I have a desire to eat. It's not you, it's me). Seriously though my wife is the smart one. If it wasn't for her I'd be destitute poor but with a 400k system sitting in my lounge. She's so responsible. Why couldn't she be just ever so slightly corruptible. It’s so unfair. She's built of solid unbreakable moral standards. Like diamonds, but uncut.

So there's going to be a hole in my heart for a while. I'm going to miss them. Though I'm hoping it's just temporary. I could be coming into a small chunk of money next year, tax return. I'll just get Edward to make me another pair. Exactly the same specs but a different colour maybe. I'll see. 

Happy to provide you with a listening experience. Will only sell to buyer in Adelaide. I'll donate $20 even if the purchaser is not from this platform.

I hope no one contacts me. But I need the money…… It’s an ongoing cognitive battle.

Photos:

506619515_1front2.thumb.JPG.b4b3302527db5c6a76689f614ab0eea9.JPG1971510401_1front.thumb.JPG.6dc51d64c3b3347019a204cdc8abbd89.JPG359894496_1side.thumb.JPG.9dee2d91603e7949828e71d932762721.JPG

1 side 2.JPG

1 side 3.JPG

Drivers.JPG

1 tweeter.JPG

Mid.JPG

Woofer.JPG

Side .JPG

Top.JPG

1 front half.JPG

glass.JPG

Edited by The Skorr
Price adjustment.
  • Like 17
  • Love 4

They are pretty impressive looking and I am sure sound as good as they look. Very nice to have something a bit more unique, sorry you have to sell but I am sure you will bounce back bigger and better, best of luck with the sale.

• Like 7

I'm not one to comment often or in any detail, but on the shear effort and adoration that the above is written, has me feeling like I have just got to the end of a sad ending Romantic movie and for a reason I cant explain I'm welling up in the eyes and have a lump in my throat and I find myself looking around to make sure no one has noticed!

I wish I could purchase these to experience for a while and then sell them back when your through the patch.

Condolences.

Beautiful craftmanship! 

• Like 5
  • Love 4

I have a set of these speakers, and can vouch for the sellers description. Not only about the speakers, mine are specked a bit differently, but also for Edward. He is only to willing to help, knowledgeable and a top bloke. 

These speakers wont disappoint, especially when used with a quality amp.... GLWTS

16346720340781811112137.jpg

Very, very nicely written. Very beautiful speakers.

My favourite part: "(To my beautiful wife, I do love you honey but I need my man cave almost as much as I have a desire to eat. It's not you, it's me)."

• Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, triocorp said:

Beautifully written - perhaps this could be your calling to earn some part time cash? If only I was in the same state.

Thank you for the nice message triocorp. 

On 19/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, Eagleeyes said:

They are pretty impressive looking and I am sure sound as good as they look. Very nice to have something a bit more unique, sorry you have to sell but I am sure you will bounce back bigger and better, best of luck with the sale.

Thank you Eagleeyes. 

On 19/10/2021 at 8:29 PM, xCombatWombatx said:

I'm not one to comment often or in any detail, but on the shear effort and adoration that the above is written, has me feeling like I have just got to the end of a sad ending Romantic movie and for a reason I cant explain I'm welling up in the eyes and have a lump in my throat and I find myself looking around to make sure no one has noticed!

I wish I could purchase these to experience for a while and then sell them back when your through the patch.

Condolences.

Beautiful craftmanship! 

Thank you combatwombat for your kind words and encouragement.  

On 19/10/2021 at 9:17 PM, jamiebosco said:

These are amongst the nicest looking speakers I've seen on here! GLWTS!

Thank you Jamiebosco, I agree. I was so impressed when they arrived at my home. I absolutely love the look of them.   

• Like 1

On 19/10/2021 at 11:56 PM, Suopermanni said:

I was going to have Edward make me a pair of these for my dad but he said no! GLWS!

He would only have to hear them once and he'd be hooked.. 

On 20/10/2021 at 6:34 AM, falcongtho1968 said:

I have a set of these speakers, and can vouch for the sellers description. Not only about the speakers, mine are specked a bit differently, but also for Edward. He is only to willing to help, knowledgeable and a top bloke. 

These speakers wont disappoint, especially when used with a quality amp.... GLWTS

16346720340781811112137.jpg

Yes agreed.  Very nice speaker falcongtho1968. Is that a summoner?. 

On 20/10/2021 at 1:51 PM, Andpi said:

Very, very nicely written. Very beautiful speakers.

My favourite part: "(To my beautiful wife, I do love you honey but I need my man cave almost as much as I have a desire to eat. It's not you, it's me)."

Thank you Andpi. :)