New, old, in-between?

I have been using some 70's Akai equipment for some time, but after a few recent moves and attack from a toddler, some faults have appeared. I’m in Melb so instead of joining the queue for repair (once they open), I’m looking to sideline my gear and do some upgrades. I'm sick of the mini system!

Current speakers: RAM 200 Loudspeakers 75w/8ohms

Looking to purchase integrated amp and turntable (bonus if I can find a cd player and tuner)

Have about 2k to spend 

I really like the old gear but looking for something reliable and that will last…. I've ventured down an audio wormhole for past few weeks and have resurfaced confused with all the options. The main issue is deciding between old and new gear. I ain't no audiophile, but finding if new, I need to spend bigger than my budget and not confident in my choice. With the new gear I thought the Rotel A11 or even a Cambridge AXR100D may serve well before spending bigger in the future. With the older gear much to like also but have concerns about reliability and connectivity to digital sources.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! 

My son recently bought the Rotel A12. It has 60wpc and a really good DAC chip in it. It sounds great, although he is using the pre outs to run a Rotel 1582 power amp off it.  I have an older 60w Rotel here and it punches pretty hard.

As for Speakers definately second hand mate. Absolute bargains on here in the classifieds.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2021 at 9:22 AM, Rob Wright said:

My son recently bought the Rotel A12. It has 60wpc and a really good DAC chip in it. It sounds great, although he is using the pre outs to run a Rotel 1582 power amp off it.  I have an older 60w Rotel here and it punches pretty hard.

As for Speakers definately second hand mate. Absolute bargains on here in the classifieds.

Yes leaning towards the Rotels if going new, A12 or one of the bigger brothers, I have bit of flexibility in the budget since I can spend budget on amp and make do with other components for now. My other consideration is my partner wants something simple, with in built tuner etc like those on offer from Cambridge and Yamaha. Feel they won't stand the test of time however. 

• Like 1

Guest Old Man Rubber
2 hours ago, Ferkas said:

My other consideration is my partner wants something simple, with in built tuner etc like those on offer from Cambridge and Yamaha. Feel they won't stand the test of time however. 

I have a fondness for FM radio but streaming radio stations is much better.  Have a look at something modern that has a network connection of some kind if you want radio.  I find it simpler than futzing about with an antenna.

Yamaha gear usually has good resale value.

21 hours ago, Ferkas said:

Yes leaning towards the Rotels if going new, A12 or one of the bigger brothers, I have bit of flexibility in the budget since I can spend budget on amp and make do with other components for now. My other consideration is my partner wants something simple, with in built tuner etc like those on offer from Cambridge and Yamaha. Feel they won't stand the test of time however. 

With the A12 you have the pre outs to run a bigger power amp later, so it's future proof.

I love Yamaha gear. Iv'e got a 663 surround amp that I sometimes put in my system just as a preamp for my 990 Rotel and I use the pins on it for surround duties. Beautiful sound out of those. You won't go wrong with yamaha. You can pick up those 661 and 663 yamahas second hand for $150.

• Like 1

If you are on a tight budget then maybe vintage Yamaha CA-800 or a CA-1000 if you have some extra funds. Fully refurb'd units pop up from time to time. Plenty of others from Pioneer, Marantz,,, unless of course digital/DAC's are essential...

• Like 1