Jump to content

Panasonic AE8000 - vertical line fault, repairable?


Recommended Posts

Over the last few months my Panny AE8000 has developed a fault - it shows a vertical blue line on the left side of the screen.  Sometimes it will disappear entirely, sometimes I will get 2 vertical lines that will then go back to 1 line.  When I recently went on holidays for a couple of weeks, I came back and the projector did not show the vertical at all for a couple of days - maybe it needed a rest too!

 

Does anyone know if this is repairable? I have replaced the bulb recently which didn't fix the issue.  Also, it is not related to the HDMI cable as the vertical line shows even on system menus with the HDMI cable unplugged.

 

I know this is an older projector but I am still happy with the picture otherwise.

Panasonic AE8000 fault.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It probably requires a new light engine - that won't be cheap.  Personally I wouldn't spend $ on it as you don't know when something else will fail.

 

Perhaps look at an Epson TW9400 - that would be a big step up in image quality.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks I suspected that might be the case, and thanks for the suggestion of the Epson.   I have been doing some preliminary research and the JVC N7 gets a good wrap too (not cheap though!)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Capn Stoobie said:

Thanks I suspected that might be the case, and thanks for the suggestion of the Epson.   I have been doing some preliminary research and the JVC N7 gets a good wrap too (not cheap though!)

 

I'm running an N5 and have been very happy with it. I didn't see the value in the N7 as you lose too much light when the wide colour gamut filter is used and the second iris is only useful if you have a small screen (I'm running 130" cinemascope).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Quark said:

 

I'm running an N5 and have been very happy with it. I didn't see the value in the N7 as you lose too much light when the wide colour gamut filter is used and the second iris is only useful if you have a small screen (I'm running 130" cinemascope).

 

I should add that the dynamic iris actually works really well on the N5 - no light "pumping" when on the correct setting (I think it's the second option).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, Capn Stoobie said:

Over the last few months my Panny AE8000 has developed a fault - it shows a vertical blue line on the left side of the screen.  Sometimes it will disappear entirely, sometimes I will get 2 vertical lines that will then go back to 1 line.  When I recently went on holidays for a couple of weeks, I came back and the projector did not show the vertical at all for a couple of days - maybe it needed a rest too!

 

Does anyone know if this is repairable? I have replaced the bulb recently which didn't fix the issue.  Also, it is not related to the HDMI cable as the vertical line shows even on system menus with the HDMI cable unplugged.

 

I know this is an older projector but I am still happy with the picture otherwise.

Panasonic AE8000 fault.jpg

I've got a Panny AE8000 as well. What a bummer. I just wondered how many hours yours has done? I'm at about 3500. No issues so far but the 8000 has a bit of shelf life. (but hey it's been 8 years) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capn Stoobie said:

I think mine was around 4500 hours.  I realise there are better projectors now, but I didn't feel the need to upgrade (until maybe now!)

 

the pana ae8000 is actually an awesome projector... its based on the epson 9000 series... they are cousins :D

 

as evolution the new epson 9400 would be obvious choice :) otherwise jvc as you highlighted is also a great option. i have the n7 myself and very happy with result it delivers :)

Edited by betty boop
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Capn Stoobie said:

I think mine was around 4500 hours.  I realise there are better projectors now, but I didn't feel the need to upgrade (until maybe now!)

Yeah same here lol. I saw one guy post on avsforum a while ago that he'd been through 6 lamps. So there are some out there that last. I guess its like anything electronics wise, luck of the draw. Keep cleaning the filter and hope for the best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, betty boop said:

 

the pana ae8000 is actually an awesome projector... its based on the epson 9000 series... they are cousins :D

 

as evolution the new epson 9400 would be obvious choice :) otherwise jvc as you highlighted is also a great option. i have the n7 myself and very happy with result it delivers :)

Yes there was definitely close optical engine sharing going on there. Just a shame when they get to end of model with the epsons they don't get discounted as much as they used to. It's a great product, guess that's it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, usethe4c said:

Yes there was definitely close optical engine sharing going on there. Just a shame when they get to end of model with the epsons they don't get discounted as much as they used to. It's a great product, guess that's it. 

the epsons have always been discounted... and will be further i woudl think if and when the new laser model comes and depending on whether they are a replacement of the lamp models or not :) 

 

we just aren't seeing much discounting around bar the usual, due to supply demand and not much stock around let alone to move I suspect :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...
To Top