Quality Multi Channel Amplifier Options? 3x 5ch or 2x 8ch. 250w+ @6ohm? 8-12k budget.

Hey guys, just trying to see what my options are for 15 channels worth of power amps...

I'm looking at the Harbottle Audio 8x 500w @4ohm, they are about 13k AUD for 2. Specs below-

500 Series

Number of Channels

8 ch

Specifications

Class D, voltage optimized
RMS output @ 4 Ω: 500 W
RMS output @ 8 Ω: 250 W
Peak Output: 70 V

THD+N: <0.05%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω load, -3 dB
Intermodulation distortion: 0.0015%

S/N: >120 dB, A weighted, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω load
Damping Factor: >1000, 8 Ω load

Dynamic range: 118dB
Dynamic range variance @ 4 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz: 0.45dB
Dynamic range variance @ 8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz: 0.25dB

Bandwidth: 1.6 Hz - 65 kHz

Gain: 26 dB

Input sensitivity: 2.6 vrms minimum to reach max output power
Input impedance: 2.5 kohm

Input: XLR true balanced
Output: 4 pole speakon
12v trigger in/out for power on/off for daisy chain

Mains power
120/240 auto switching
Chassis plug: C19 & C20
20 Circuit breaker 

Recommended Loads: 4 Ω, 8 Ω, 16 Ω 
2 Ω ohm stable

Compliance
EN 60065:2002 + A1:2006 + A11:2008 + A2:2010 + A12:2011
EN 62368-1:2014
CSA C22.2 NO. 62368-1-14:2014
UL 62368:2014

Another option I was looking at is the Elektra HD2. One thing I noticed though, is that the 7 channel is listed as 225w all channels driven at 6ohm, but the 5 channel is listed at 225w all channels at 4ohm?

What other options are out there that I've missed? Budget again is 8-12k for 15 channels at around 250w all channels driven @6ohm.

Speakers will be the Ascension/Adelaide Speakers Summoner 1293SQTL x9 and likely the Woodfox 823SQTL x6 for Atmos. (Was looking at the Monitor M823SQ, but will likely go the Woodfox instead for the Atmos speakers) Specs in screenshots below.

Cheers!

Screenshot_20211013-061454_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20211013-061550_Brave.jpg

Edited by The One Demon
3 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

poor old Edward making all that gear haha

how good is your power supply in Ceduna, stable? 20amp in the house?

big room?

sorry no idea on the amps in question but quite an impressive sound set up.

Not actually sure how stable the power supply is tbh. I have solar, so during a sunny day it will be more stable... :classic_laugh: It will temporarily be in the house lounge/kitchen area before building a 6.8 x 5.1 x 3.2m room in a 9 x 15m shed, that room will have it's own 20A circuit. I can easily upgrade the house to 20A, as long as the wiring is suitable. (Would be circuit breaker only if wiring is good to go with 20A).

Yep he sure will be busy ahah. Although he always seems to be busy!

Just now, The One Demon said:

Yeah that's my thinking too, do you know if the discrepancy between the 5ch and below vs the 7ch specs is correct?

as far as i know always been the case with 5ch and 7ch is has still the same power supply from my understanding... 

spec wise there is below, 

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/elektra-theatron-hd-7-channel-power-amplifier

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/copy-of-elektra-theatron-hd-3-channel-power-amplifier

whether 3,4 or 5 or 7 I dont think really specd differently ? maybe give arthur a call if unsure :)  

personally i always look beyond power claims no matter the brand and look at power supply. which I always feel is really indication of power reserves. in the theatre amps its an 1800w in the case of the elektra still is my understanding :) which is decent enough to support claims 

there are certainly gruntier amps... eg my 2ch musical fidelity m8 500s has a 2kw max consumption  for just the 2ch it drives though rated at 500 wpc into 8 ohm. there is also the elektra reference which similarly will do 300 wpc and am pretty sure still uses the same power supply as the 7ch elektra :) 

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/elektra-reference-hd-300-watt-stereo-amplifier

know nothing about the harbottle amp. do the Adelaide/ascension  speakers really need so much power 500w and such ? while 6 ohm nominal seem reasonably efficient ? dont look like big behemoths. i doubt something like elektra would even break a sweat :)

15ch ? what sort of speaker layout looking at ? keep in mind going beyond 13 ch limits options.... in processing :) also depending on the room it might be a bit over kill with not enough room for the speakers to breathe :D 

• Like 2

in other brands ...

no experience with the accrues but there is this 8 ch ? its class D but good quality class D is expensive ...

https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/products/acurus-m8-8-channel-amplifier

also the wyred 4 sound from deephz if looking for class D thats more affordable eg their 7ch amps :)

http://www.deephzaudio.com/Wyred 4 sound Price Page Australia.html

24 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as far as i know always been the case with 5ch and 7ch is has still the same power supply from my understanding... 

spec wise there is below, 

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/elektra-theatron-hd-7-channel-power-amplifier

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/copy-of-elektra-theatron-hd-3-channel-power-amplifier

whether 3,4 or 5 or 7 I dont think really specd differently ? maybe give arthur a call if unsure :)  

personally i always look beyond power claims no matter the brand and look at power supply. which I always feel is really indication of power reserves. in the theatre amps its an 1800w in the case of the elektra still is my understanding :) which is decent enough to support claims 

there are certainly gruntier amps... eg my 2ch musical fidelity m8 500s has a 2kw max consumption  for just the 2ch it drives though rated at 500 wpc into 8 ohm. there is also the elektra reference which similarly will do 300 wpc and am pretty sure still uses the same power supply as the 7ch elektra :) 

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/elektra-reference-hd-300-watt-stereo-amplifier

know nothing about the harbottle amp. do the Adelaide/ascension  speakers really need so much power 500w and such ? while 6 ohm nominal seem reasonably efficient ? dont look like big behemoths. i doubt something like elektra would even break a sweat :)

15ch ? what sort of speaker layout looking at ? keep in mind going beyond 13 ch limits options.... in processing :) also depending on the room it might be a bit over kill with not enough room for the speakers to breathe :D 

Regarding difference in specs: If they have the same power supply, shouldn't the 5 channel either have more power output, or at minimum the same as the 7 channel?

The differences I could see - 

5 Channel at 8 ohms 190W
5 Channel at 4 ohms 225W

S/N Ratio 130 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion THD @1Khz    < 0.0001%

vs

7 Channel at 8 ohms 190
7Channel at 6 ohms 225

S/N Ratio 111 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion THD  @1Khz < 0.0003%

Speaker layout 9.1.6, room size (after building it, but will temporarily be in a large kitchen/lounge area 11.2 x 5.7 x 2.4m) the room in the shed once built will be 6.8m x 5.1m x 3.2m. One three seater only (or maybe 3 single seaters). Processing will be the AVM 70, unless I can get a good deal or a used Trinnov Altitude 16.

Regarding power - I just want to have headroom so I don't chance pushing the amp too hard kinda thing. 6ohm at 240w rated, the Harbottle would do around 300-350w 6ohm I'd imagine. (Although I'm sure the Elektra would be perfect!) 

Is Arthurs number or email available somewhere? I've tried to look but can't find anything 😅

6 minutes ago, The One Demon said:

Regarding difference in specs: If they have the same power supply, shouldn't the 5 channel either have more power output, or at minimum the same as the 7 channel?

it might have more power reserve if can tap into the entire power supply which is same as 7ch... but if running off different taps its possible it will see same reserve as 7ch :) cant say as only arthur would answer. but from my knowledge of specs i understand the output stages on the amps are exactly same and have never seen any difference in spec claim one vs next ie in channel difference but same series. if looking to future proof id just get the 7ch ... resale is likely better too...

8 minutes ago, The One Demon said:

The differences I could see - 

5 Channel at 8 ohms 190W
5 Channel at 4 ohms 225W

S/N Ratio 130 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion THD @1Khz    < 0.0001%

vs

7 Channel at 8 ohms 190
7Channel at 6 ohms 225

S/N Ratio 111 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion THD  @1Khz < 0.0003%

it could jsut be some sloppy web work and not really updating specs from say theatron to hd1 to hd2 or something like that :D the link to the 5ch says 3ch theatron for instance :D there were small differences hd to hd2 and such. main step up was theatron to HD.  again id jsut get on phone to arthur(just google arthur elektra should find his contact number) to clarify :) 

10 minutes ago, The One Demon said:

Speaker layout 9.1.6, room size (after building it, but will temporarily be in a large kitchen/lounge area 11.2 x 5.7 x 2.4m) the room in the shed once built will be 6.8m x 5.1m x 3.2m. One three seater only (or maybe 3 single seaters). Processing will be the AVM 70, unless I can get a good deal or a used Trinnov Altitude 16.

unless going 2 rows i wouldnt see need for 9.1.6 ie the 6 heights .... unless going DTS-X pro (for CH and Ts) and i am not sure the anthem still even supports that, it certainly doesnt support auro 3D :) tiinnnov would cover the lot... but how often does a used one come up :D

13 minutes ago, The One Demon said:

Regarding power - I just want to have headroom so I don't chance pushing the amp too hard kinda thing. 6ohm at 240w rated, the Harbottle would do around 300-350w 6ohm I'd imagine. (Although I'm sure the Elektra would be perfect!) 

there is more than enough power reserves in the likes of elektra ...  in my opinion. have heard in a few systems now including mine...i run a couple of theatre hds(7ch). no idea or experience with the harbottle. first have ever heard of it to be honest :)

• Like 1

@The One Demon

Sounds exciting, interested to know how you settled on "9x Adelaide Speakers Summoner 1293SQTL" for all low level speakers given they are full range.

Are you planning to crossover at 80hz as this would have a big bearing on how much power you would need.

Im working on a speaker pack for a new room also so interested on your thoughts.

• Like 1
Just now, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

@The One Demon

Sounds exciting, interested to know how you settled on "9x Adelaide Speakers Summoner 1293SQTL" for all low level speakers given they are full range.

Are you planning to crossover at 80hz as this would have a big bearing on how much power you would need.

Im working on a speaker pack for a new room also so interested on your thoughts.

Because they are so capable down low, I'll likely crossover at 50hz or 40hz depending how they perform. Will also see if I can send say 80hz and below or around that too ALL the floor standing speakers instead of just the channels it's "supposed" to be sent to, that way it'll be a much more even response of bass coming from 9 towers. Unsure if this can actually be done or not though..

I came to settle on the ground plane to be all full range and large towers "because"... But seriously, the reason is they are an excellent price and I WOULD have spend more on 5 speakers probably than the WHOLE setup of ground plane + Atmos speakers if I didn't discover Adelaide Speakers. Soo, I wanted all full range, deep bass capabilities and to be able to be loud, while sounding excellent. These ticked all those boxes and come at an excellent price! Factor in "bulk" discount, it's an even better price.

I'm even considering going with this design from the Artisan series for the 12" Summoners and Bookshelves if Edward is able to do so. Came across this looking through his site again the other day and instantly felt it's perfect for my home theatre! (Will add up in cost, but it just looks so good, even without the leather baffle I quite like the Artisan Series!)

image.png.b8298087c0afaa362a0cd16ff1d3a82f.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The One Demon said:

I came to settle on the ground plane to be all full range and large towers "because"... But seriously, the reason is they are an excellent price and I WOULD have spend more on 5 speakers probably than the WHOLE setup of ground plane + Atmos speakers if I didn't discover Adelaide Speakers. Soo, I wanted all full range, deep bass capabilities and to be able to be loud, while sounding excellent. These ticked all those boxes and come at an excellent price! Factor in "bulk" discount, it's an even better price.

price is one thing... and i see it mentioned more than one :D  but i would also get to have a listen

speakers are such a personal pref thing and not jsut saying this because of choice or price is a factor ... id say this regardless what ever were looking at :) 

definitely also consider krix if in SA... could end up with a pretty nice package... I also dont think its necessary going whole hog at once ... especially if doing things in stages...

no harm in building up and enjoying the journey along the way :) 

re deep bass, make sure factor in some decent subs :) they in itself will take a lot of load off speakers... and also the amps considering here as in most cases its the lower freq that swallow up the watts and make speaker more difficult to drive.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, betty boop said:

price is one thing... and i see it mentioned more than one :D  but i would also get to have a listen

speakers are such a personal pref thing and not jsut saying this because of choice or price is a factor ... id say this regardless what ever were looking at :) 

definitely also consider krix if in SA... could end up with a pretty nice package... I also dont think its necessary going whole hog at once ... especially if doing things in stages...

no harm in building up and enjoying the journey along the way :) 

re deep bass, make sure factor in some decent subs :) they in itself will take a lot of load off speakers... and also the amps considering here as in most cases its the lower freq that swallow up the watts and make speaker more difficult to drive.

I listened to one of Edwards dual 10" woofer Transcender models no longer sold, he said that it'd sound very similar to that one, probably slightly more bass though. It sounded great to my ears, even enjoying music I wouldn't normally listen to on it. (To me that says something). The main problem is that he doesn't keep stock, so you can only demo what he has made for a customer at the time. Unfortunately as I'm in Ceduna, that's about 8.5 hours from Adelaide. I missed a Summoner 12" just before I auditioned. (Unsure the ones I'm looking at or the cheaper 12" Summoner).

I did listen to Krix MEGAPHONIX also while I was in Adelaide, while they sounded clear and defined etc, I am a bit of a bass head, and they didn't quite have the characteristics I'm looking for.

• Like 2

Someone has brought to my attention the Halcro MC50 Amps. Anyone have any experience with these and the Elektra HD2 amps? The Halcro MC50 amps (used) will be quite a bit cheaper than the Elektra HD2 amps and output more than I need. (As well as more than the Elektra amps)

Edited by The One Demon