Streamer advice please

Hi all,

Currently use iphone  (Spotify)with lightning cable to usb input on old Pioneer SCLX 73.

Don't have provision for network cable near Pioneer in family room, just wireless (blutooth) from modem in study.

Pioneer does have an "adaptor port" to input a wifi/blutooth dongle i presume.

Can I purchase an independent streamer and use wirelessly (connected to some form of input on Pioneer). NAD, Limetree etc

Have heard you obtain better sound quality with direct network cable connections to streamer, if not, is wireless sufficient.

Thanks,

Matt

8 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

Have heard you obtain better sound quality with direct network cable connections to streamer

Correct.

Nothing like have a ethernet cable plugged into your streamer direct from your modem if you can and some streamers will only do the biz if they're hardwired like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Luc said:

Correct.

Nothing like have a ethernet cable plugged into your streamer direct from your modem if you can and some streamers will only do the biz if they're hardwired like that.

As i thought.

6 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@mattd2308  Do you want something with the dac built in or are you going to use the dac in the Pioneer or other?

Not sure, what would be better ? Been only a 2 channel listener from vinyl or cd, however can appreciate the convenience.

Built in DAC will mean one less box, one less set of cables. Once you get the hang of it then you can move on to separates. KISS principle for starters is a good idea. Streamer with a good app to control it helps too.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I would get the Limetree Network II streamer personally. I've just finished researching in that price bracket and above and ended up with something a bit more expensive. If I had have stayed below the $2k mark I would have gone for that. The dac in the Limetree would probably be superior ;) 

Was looking at these types sometime ago, may give Geoff a call. Thanks Blakey. .

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mattd2308 said:

Not sure, what would be better ? Been only a 2 channel listener from vinyl or cd, however can appreciate the convenience.

I think as a general rule you get best performance out of AVRs from digital inputs.  Worth checking the details of your unit, but almost all of them do ADC (analogue to digital conversion) on their analogue inputs to run through digital processing (for many units this includes volume) and then through the DAC in the unit.   If this is the case can avoid one layer of conversion by going digital in...

Just as a thought, if using for 2 channel use have you considered using your 2k in a different way?  You could potentially use it on a streamer and integrated amplifier (eg ifi zen stream and Marantz PM6007); or go to a smart integrated with streaming on board (eg Bluesound Powernode or NAD c368 Bluos); or go to an integrated with a more full featured dac, and use a laptop or phone to stream from then add streamer later (Eg Rotel a14 mkII). 

1 hour ago, POV said:

I think as a general rule you get best performance out of AVRs from digital inputs.  Worth checking the details of your unit, but almost all of them do ADC (analogue to digital conversion) on their analogue inputs to run through digital processing (for many units this includes volume) and then through the DAC in the unit.   If this is the case can avoid one layer of conversion by going digital in...

Just as a thought, if using for 2 channel use have you considered using your 2k in a different way?  You could potentially use it on a streamer and integrated amplifier (eg ifi zen stream and Marantz PM6007); or go to a smart integrated with streaming on board (eg Bluesound Powernode or NAD c368 Bluos); or go to an integrated with a more full featured dac, and use a laptop or phone to stream from then add streamer later (Eg Rotel a14 mkII). 

Thanks Drew, forgot to explain, have a dedicated 2 channel system, which obviously sounds better than my avr.  Could just use laptop direct to input to DAC in my integrated amp (Denon PMA2500). Thanks for the info.

I love my Audiolab 6000N. Streamer/DAC, so only one box needed. App (DTS Play-Fi) on phone/tablet to control. 

The App isn't the quickest thing I have ever encountered, but the unit sounds fantastic through my vintage Marantz set up.

Well within your budget too.

+1 on Limetree.

Tried several streamers in the 1k or so bracket and it was astonishing how good it sounds.

Geoff @HeyNow Hi-Fi is great to deal with too.

Some streamers (Auralic) sound better wireless as they are optimised for it whereas limetree to me sounds better wired. Though even wireless it beat an Aries Femto in direct comparison.

Edited by franky995
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1