2021 Mac Mini to Denon AVR-6700. Resolution stuck at 1080P

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any experience in hooking up a Mac mini to a denon avr through the game hdmi port. Output of denon goes to my 75inch Sony TV

I am not sure what I have not done correctly , but there is not way I can crank up my resolution on my Mac mini beyond 1080p. It recognized my avr-6700 as an 1080p display.

can anyone kindly advise what is to done 

so my Mac mini can recognize my denon as a 4K display.

Edited by gaga

Have you looked into your specs for the hdmi cable, perhaps it’s unsuitable to pass 4K? What Mac mini model do you have, perhaps it’s unsuitable to pass 4K? What model of Sony tv do you have? 
Have you had a look at the manual, perhaps that hdmi gaming port only supports 1080p?
Fairly few unknowns there you haven’t told us

Neo

Edited by Neo
1 hour ago, Neo said:

Have you looked into your specs for the hdmi cable, perhaps it’s unsuitable to pass 4K? What Mac mini model do you have, perhaps it’s unsuitable to pass 4K? What model of Sony tv do you have? 
Have you had a look at the manual, perhaps that hdmi gaming port only supports 1080p?
Fairly few unknowns there you haven’t told us

Neo

certified hdmi2.0cable. very sure its not cable issue, I don't see why the very same cable on the Oppo 203 can't be use on a Mac mini. Mac mini the latest 2021.

tv Sony x95j .

3 hours ago, gaga said:

can anyone kindly advise what is to done 

so my Mac mini can recognize my denon as a 4K display.

Are you able to test plugging the Mac directly into the TV.   Do you get 4K?

The result of this test will assist in troubloshooting where the problem lies.

• Like 1

I managed to get things working by plugging my Mac mini into my oppo 203 hdmi in input. Thus I can cfm the problem leaves with the denon .

Will probably leave things as it’s is but if anyone got a better solution such that i can connect the Mac directly to the AVR.

do give me a heads up. Thanks.

4 hours ago, gaga said:

Thus I can cfm the problem leaves with the denon .

Not necessarily.   It just means it's not some software config issue on the Mac.

The Mac Mini HDMI port (actually really a DisplayPort, with a HDMI connector) is known to be pretty ugly compatibility wise.

Lucky the Oppo can understand it.

Have a tinker with the AVR settings, including any to force HDMI from 2.x to 1.4

17 hours ago, gaga said:

I am not sure what I have not done correctly , but there is not way I can crank up my resolution on my Mac mini beyond 1080p. It recognized my avr-6700 as an 1080p display.

Have you looked at options under "Scaled" ?

image.png.cda57a8399bae6406049a0d29b32077a.png