4K projector - used over 2000 hrs with warranty(1 yr) vs very short hrs without warranty

Hi all!

I am very hesitating to make a decision on the projector now since I found out the exactly same model with different condition. 

Option 1. Used 2100 hrs , still has 1 yr warrnty left. $300 cheaper than another one (No original box). ($2000)

Option 2. Used less than 100hrs, no warranty left (just over 2 yrs old) , but comes with original box and package. $300 more expensive than No.1 option. ($2300)

Which one would you pick...??

7 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

If the make and model have a good track record, I'd probably go option 2.   If the track record of the make and model has a known issue or two, then I'd stick with the warranty.

Thanks for your opinion Kaynin. It's BenQ's W5700 and haven't seen many issues. So maybe better go with option 2 then. 

• Like 1

well some more things to consider.

1. the environment each unit was used in

2. the seller, any "feel" as to the honesty of the person

3. can you actually test the unit

4. my benq w1110 hours use can be reset to "0" whenever and as many times as i want... so points 1,2,3 will give you an idea if quoted lamp hours are true.

5. were either a refurb when bought originally?

too many scammers around these days so do your home work.

• Like 1

All sensible comments above. As long as "new lamp" hasn't been mentioned to you anywhere in connection with either. Can be a bit of a red flag. 

A great projector by all reports but it's input lag for gaming at 55ms, a little bit slow. Not unusual for dlp. 

Over $2k spend on a second hand PJ with no warranty would concern me and @hopefullguy has a great points, its more about the seller than the product. 

Also make sure you have some buying protection, like Paypal, paying via EFT is dangerous, I've learnt that the hard way. I would only pay EFT for secondhand goods in the future if the seller was on here and was a longstanding member.

For me id either buy a new lower spec model with full warranty or try and get the one you want as a refurb direct from the manufacturer.

Depends … 2000 hours is nothing on a projector 

just depends who buy from … is it a known quantity … can you check out for self … seller rating ? 

as to warranty … either way it’s going to be out of warranty at some stage 

so I would do due diligence either way

it’s unclear what the specific projectors are … are they same brand model ? Edit I see it’s benq quoted later and same projector

being a dlp projector either way I would not buy unless can see for self to make sure you are not susceptible to the dlp rainbow effects, some people are susceptible to. 

Edited by betty boop
  • Like 1

Can you guarantee that option 2 is only 100 hrs total and not 100 hours on the current bulb, or since hours were reset?

Seems like very low hours use in over 2 yrs for a $4.5k projector - surely if you'd spent that kind of money you would use it more???

I'v had dead pixels (ie mirror) on a optoma DLP at under 1000 hrs (that was never moved or dropped) so if you can't see it running in person beforehand you want high megapixel red, green and blue test images sent to you to be sure.. 

A new lamp cost not more then Sgd 400.

without warranty will cost you more then that for repair or can dispose off that projector as used projector hv no resale value.

Go for warranty , anything goes wrong send in for repair . If don’t like the projected image and colour can still sell it off as with warranty .

A 100% new or used less then 100 hrs non Stop projection lamp will not have any burnt spot on the inner bulb and may still can see some mercury like inside ( can observe from the reflector ).

Anyone can reset the lamp hrs as they like , but will not able to on the lamp itself and also not able to reset total runtime ( This need to have a code then able to access in workshop ) thru the com port.