GIESELER PHONO STAGE – coming soon

Gieseler Audio

GIESELER PHONO STAGE – coming soon

Well this is really just a brief introduction to whet your appetite. I have been working on a phono stage for a few months & finally assembled & tested the first prototype.

After a bit of gain & RIAA EQ tweaking the measurements were looking good so then I had a good listen.

The setup was an ancient Thorens 125MKII (badly in need of a service), SME 3009/S2 improved, Grace F9 & a Stanton 681 fitted with a new Jico D6800EEE-S stylus.

All blasts from the past I know but it is just what I had on hand.

Well I have to say I was totally blown away & had no idea that my old vinyl could sound this good. It must be the brilliant phono stage – ha ha.

No seriously I was so impressed I spent the rest of the day listening. Obviously I’ve been listening to digital for too long.

Here is the rough feature list:

Power supply – seriously over specked 24v non feedback shunt regulated with 20k uf on Nichicon Gold Tune filter capacitors and a massive 500mH iron core choke.

Lots of user adjustment by PCB jumpers.

Now I know this is not as elegant as rear panel switches but from a technical point of view it works better due to shorter PCB track paths.

Also I will be using the same Japanese case as the Kraftwerk II Dual it is so simple to take the lid off.

Adjustments: MC or MM

Loading in Ohms:  100, 200, 475, 1k, 47k & 100k

Gain in dB:  40, 46, 52, 58 & 64.

Input Capacitance: 0 or 100pf.

Bass filter cut option.

Unfortunately lead time will be about a month as that’s how long a custom Japanese case order takes.

The prototype will go to a few trusted vinyl buffs to confirm its sound quality & user friendliness & if all going well, production will start in a few weeks.

Price - I need to check build times & parts cost but a rough estimate is around $1k using standard WIMA PP output capacitors.

There will be options for the output – eg Jensen Transformers or better output capacitors. Stay tuned!

1991254389_IMG_2290(2).thumb.JPG.37e803bfba2eb102d439b01ef742655a.JPG

• Like 14
  • Love 4

Just a quick update on this.

I'm very happy with the sound but decided to tweak the boards layout a bit & fine tune a few component values.

It is always difficult to get the first board perfect.

The new boards have been ordered & I'm just in the process of drawing up detailed case design files.

The next step is to then get the cases ordered and then a finished product will be three to four weeks away.

Hi Dave - thanks for the kind comments. 

I will defiantly bring one with me on my next Canberra visit. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks seriously good Clay.  Take it that with the PSU onboard - no need for Kraftwerk LPS?  

I like that the outputs can be configured for trannies or caps.  

• Like 1

Hi Burns,

correct - no need for a external Kraftwerk PSU - the phone stage has its own totally over the top internal PSU.

I have revised it again & it is now using a dual choke, fully discreet constant current shunt regulated supplies.

The power supply has a huge effect on the sound so that is why I have gone to excessive lengths with that.

RE output - It is interesting as I first listened with WIMA PP caps which sounded great but changing over to the Jensen transformers

added a nice refinement to the sound.

I have also upgraded the RCA connectors to a higher quality type - the same as the Kompakt DAC type. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Clay

Looks great and very keen to try this, the fact it can cater for MM and MC is great, do you know approx pricing?

Cheers Barry

4 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Doing the case CAD files now so I need to give this beast a name with the usual German influence.

Shortlist:

Phonographen

Grammophon

Plattenspieler  

Fonograf

Opinions?

Fonograf for mine....

• Like 2

On 2/10/21 at 3:54 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

I will defiantly bring one with me on my next Canberra visit. 

Does the ACT impose restrictions on the trafficking of phono stages?

;)

3 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Doing the case CAD files now so I need to give this beast a name with the usual German influence.

Shortlist:

Phonographen

Grammophon

Plattenspieler  

Fonograf

Opinions?

Entzerrer.

(That’s the common term for this type of device in German, anyway.)