Apple TV app devices and alternatives

Hi,

I'm keen to watch the new Foundation series from Apple but it seems that my Sony Z9D does not support the app. My Vodaphone TV that I use on my old plasma also cannot use the app. What are my options?

I tried using the Internet Browser app on the Sony TV but when I tried to watch the Foundation trailer via the Apple website, it just showed a gargled mess. Not sure if using a different web browser on the tv would be better but would Dolby Vision and Atmos still stream?

I know buying an nVideo Shield or Apple TV device would solve this problem but I'm exploring other/free solutions first, also I don't really want to add another box in my room if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

honestly best to add an apple TV and move on :)

other alternatives -

firestick

https://www.amazon.com.au/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-with-Alexa-Voice-Remote-and-TV-Controls/dp/B0872Z1TBP/ref=asc_df_B0872Z1TBP/?

chromecast

https://store.google.com/au/product/chromecast_google_tv?

id probably put the shield last given all the compatibility issues ive seen folk have all the time...

• Like 1

• Administrator

As Al suggested, the Firestick would be the cheapest solution, but Apple TV box would be the best option. 

I have a Shield and its relegated to the cupboard as it was just too buggy and frustrating. We have Apple TV's on every TV because they just work, are easy to use, and very compatible for streaming VOD apps.

• Like 1

You can buy an apple tv used for around $100, maybe less. Or you might be able to find a new, older model unit for around $180. The recently released model is only $209 too.

Apple TV rules tbh. I've used the dongle style (Chromecast) where you control apps that are on your phone or tablet, and I hate it. Much prefer having a device where I can see all my apps and control everything from one interface. Plus, it will show on the main apple tv+ page, content you've been watching, regardless if it's on apple tv+ or one of the other services.

I also like it for the integration with my iPad and macbook. Just the easiest and most convenient solution imo, but if you don't have apple devices, and/or don't watch other streaming services, it may be a waste.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Esoterica said:

You can buy an apple tv used for around $100, maybe less. Or you might be able to find a new, older model unit for around $180. The recently released model is only $209 too.

Apple TV rules tbh. I've used the dongle style (Chromecast) where you control apps that are on your phone or tablet, and I hate it. Much prefer having a device where I can see all my apps and control everything from one interface. Plus, it will show on the main apple tv+ page, content you've been watching, regardless if it's on apple tv+ or one of the other services.

I also like it for the integration with my iPad and macbook. Just the easiest and most convenient solution imo, but if you don't have apple devices, and/or don't watch other streaming services, it may be a waste.

The newer Chromecast does not need a phone to use it except for the initial install. I did set one up for my parents a while back.

I'm thinking Google Chromecast tv may be the way if not wanting to spend too much.. or even the laptop as a temporary solution.

As others have said, get the atv and enjoy. 

at the end of the day you just want a streaming device that works, so you can get on with enjoying, and that’s what it does,

it’s the most used device in my system for video, for me I just hit the menu button on the remote when I want to watch, it wakes up, then wakes everything else up (avr & Tv) and I just use the atv remote from then on.

the thought of connecting a MacBook to my av equip to watch video makes me want to put pins in my eyes. Sure it would work, but for very little money there is such a better way!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

As others have said, get the atv and enjoy. 

at the end of the day you just want a streaming device that works, so you can get on with enjoying, and that’s what it does,

it’s the most used device in my system for video, for me I just hit the menu button on the remote when I want to watch, it wakes up, then wakes everything else up (avr & Tv) and I just use the atv remote from then on.

the thought of connecting a MacBook to my av equip to watch video makes me want to put pins in my eyes. Sure it would work, but for very little money there is such a better way!

100% agree. $200 bucks for years of streaming convenience is a no-brainer imo.

@Mr_Gadget - I wouldn't touch chromecast with a ten foot pole either. In my extensive experience, that protocol is rubbish compared to airplay. Sometimes I have the option of using both to stream music. I always choose airplay. It just works.

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 1

I think there is some confusion. I'm not talking about casting from phone to tv using Chromecast. I'm talking about the Google Chromecast tv device that has the apps on it, i.e. no phone or other device required to run the streaming apps.

Edited by Mr_Gadget