AV Receiver with Power amp - best way to process? Advice needed….

Hey all, 

So, I have a stereo set up, but i also use it for Apple TV and Foxtel, so require HDMI connection or similar…. 

Currently I have my old Onkyo NR809 hooked into my Mark Levinson 334, I’ve got the onkyo on RCA output to the amp and it seems to work ok, but the onkyo stopped processing the sound last week, so it’s silent… 

I’m wanting to see if there is a way / bit of equipment that I’m not familiar with that will suit my use better than my current set up. 

I have my Turntable (RCA Connected) and Bluesound Node (Optical connected) for music, but I also use Apple TV and Foxtel via HDMI for sound and vision to the TV screen… what I do does work, but if I’m going to have to go down a replacement route because I can’t fix the Onkyo, it would be good to know what’s the best way to get this sound and vision sorted..

I’ve currently disconnected the active speakers in my Genesis 5 speakers and I’m using an SVS2000 sub direct hook up to the sub out on the onkyo as i cooked one of the amps on the Genesis and it’s a bloody fortune to fix it!..

Any help would be great! Cheers.

37 minutes ago, chubbsr1 said:

I have my Turntable (RCA Connected) and Bluesound Node (Optical connected) for music, but I also use Apple TV and Foxtel via HDMI for sound and vision to the TV screen

I’m wanting to be able to listen to all of the above through my amp and speakers. Connections as per the above. 

Budget… happy to look at anything under $5k, but if a solution works for $1k and I’m not losing sound quality then that’s a win…

1 hour ago, chubbsr1 said:

I’m wanting to be able to listen to all of the above through my amp and speakers. Connections as per the above. 

Budget… happy to look at anything under $5k, but if a solution works for $1k and I’m not losing sound quality then that’s a win…

How many speakers do you have in your system, just the 2 the power amp run or do you have surround?

• Like 1

Cheers, I’ve now taken the onkyo in for repair to see what’s up with it… hopefully they can fix the pre out connection so I can plug back in again… 

although I’m keen to hear the RX50 when it lands here.. any ideas on dates it’s coming? I’d probably use that for my cinema though as the avr on there is a few years old now… 

• 3 weeks later...

So the Onkyo is fried... it's a $500 repair, so i'm thinking a new AVR is in order to replace it.... 

any recommendations on which ones play music better than others? i'll wait for the TZ RX50 for my home cinema upgrade, but in the meantime will need an AVR that has outputs so i can plug into my external amp....

On 13/10/2021 at 3:26 PM, chubbsr1 said:

So the Onkyo is fried... it's a $500 repair, so i'm thinking a new AVR is in order to replace it.... 

any recommendations on which ones play music better than others? i'll wait for the TZ RX50 for my home cinema upgrade, but in the meantime will need an AVR that has outputs so i can plug into my external amp....

The receiver I'm selling the receiver (linked by Snoopy8 above), is that it is the receiver I used to replace my blown Onkyo a couple of years ago.
I was very happy with the replacement Denon, although slightly down on power from the old Onkyo.
The only reason for the Denon sale is I can't set up a home theatre in our new home.