Power cables - improvement real or imagined?

GregSki

Hello All

I decided to try an upmarket power cable and got Isotek sequel the other day to replace a stock cable on my Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated amp. What I’ve noticed so far is an improvement in sound. Images are better formed, more stable and are more meaty (present). Soundstage seems more expansive. Am I just imaging it or have others noticed similar improvements in their systems?

On the other hand I’m getting more audible transformer hum from my amp over stock standard cord.  Any ideas as why that is or has anyone had similar experience and any advice on how to lower the transformer noise?

Rest of my system consists of Buchardt s300 mk2 speakers, bluesound node 2, rega rp3 turntable,  wireworld oasis 8 rcas, qed profile speaker cables. 

Many thanks!

Greg

@GregSki

Probably the best to have look at many other threads on this topic that have come and gone before on this topic. In regard to the noise of the transformer, more than likely is a DC noise that is saturating the transformer making it hum. Something like this would help.

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

Yes, power cables make a difference, and for me that difference has been wholly positive with the same types of improvements you’ve noted. However, I also know that a friend had a poor experience. Perhaps there’s some system dependent thing going on?

mick.

Ok thanks! I think the upgrade has definitely been positive. The sound seems better and the hum is only audible when music is not playing. 

DC blocker sounds like a good idea neo. I’m wondering if Isotek power board would do the trick? Considering this to be my next upgrade. 

33 minutes ago, GregSki said:

Am I just imaging it or have others noticed similar improvements in their systems?

Only because you asked... It's the former, and I assume you meant to write imagining.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GregSki said:

Isotek power board would do the trick? Considering this to be my next upgrade. 

While isotek would bring benefits it will not solve your DC issue as it doesn’t have the DC blocker circuitry in it. While this doesn’t have it either but something in the Gigawatt power board range I found to be a better alternative to isotek. 
Neo

• Like 1

Good feedback here. Thank you!

the hum is there with bluesound or rega so it’s probably not related to the source. Interestingly  it got louder with isotek cable over stock cable. 

the dc blocker sounds like the way to go.  PrimLuna is meant to have an ac offset killer but not a dc one. 

4 hours ago, GregSki said:

I decided to try an upmarket power cable and got Isotek sequel the other day to replace a stock cable on my Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated amp. 

... I’m getting more audible transformer hum from my amp over (the) stock standard cord.  Any ideas as why that is or has anyone had similar experience and any advice on how to lower the transformer noise?

15 minutes ago, GregSki said:

the dc blocker sounds like the way to go. 

Yes, if you are getting audible hum from the transformer in your Primaluna ... a DC blocker may fix this.

Curious that the Isotek cable makes the hum louder, compared to the stock cable?  :(

Andy

4 hours ago, GregSki said:

Hello All

I decided to try an upmarket power cable and got Isotek sequel the other day to replace a stock cable on my Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated amp. What I’ve noticed so far is an improvement in sound. Images are better formed, more stable and are more meaty (present). Soundstage seems more expansive. Am I just imaging it or have others noticed similar improvements in their systems?

On the other hand I’m getting more audible transformer hum from my amp over stock standard cord.  Any ideas as why that is or has anyone had similar experience and any advice on how to lower the transformer noise?

Rest of my system consists of Buchardt s300 mk2 speakers, bluesound node 2, rega rp3 turntable,  wireworld oasis 8 rcas, qed profile speaker cables. 

Many thanks!

Greg

Why don't you put back stock cable to see whether you are imagining it or sounds worse with stock cable?

6 minutes ago, GregSki said:

Yes the same power plug rocky. I don’t know maybe Isotek really does let more current through? It’s doing something to make it sound like amp has more grant. 

It was the noise that is different that I was thinking. Depending which component I plug in to what point, I can get noise. (ground loop)

Changing where I plug them in, this can go louder or disappear completely. I have many places power boards etc I can plug each component into in my system.

I an just surprised with plugging them in to the same point you hear more noise as the Isotek I think has shielding too over the standard power cable.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

Good point Rocky. Yes they are different length. Isotek is 2m and standard cable is 1.5m . Yes isotek is meant to be far more superior. It certainly looks a lot more substantial with massive plugs and active shielding. 

I will try changing where I plug it in. I will plug the amp into a power board to see if that makes a difference too.

many thanks for your advice!

A few months ago I was forced to revert to the stock power cables provided with my SACD player and my Integrated amp. When my new Synergistic Research Foundation power cables arrived the difference in audio performance was clearly apparent. I also use an Isotek power conditioner but the new power cords made all the difference.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 075Congo said:

A few months ago I was forced to revert to the stock power cables provided with my SACD player and my Integrated amp. When my new Synergistic Research Foundation power cables arrived the difference in audio performance was clearly apparent. I also use an Isotek power conditioner but the new power cords made all the difference.

Yeah. I’m listening to my system now. And wow. I’ve only had the new power cable for a few days and I can’t believe the difference it makes. It’s one of the best upgrades. I reckon more significant than interconnects. There are different opinions on the net but like with ,most  things in this hobby one needs to try it out for himself to really know. 

• Like 2